Author Topic: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"  (Read 63651 times)

Re: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
Didn't watch the game, but Embiid and Okafor both seemed to perform fairly well starting together (and Covington had his best offensive game in awhile starting with them).  Since I didn't watch the game, I have no idea if they did more damage without the other in the game, but if those two can legitimately play together, then Philly keeping Noel as a backup center may just make more sense for them, especially if they aren't going to get anything of value for Noel (which also means Noel probably isn't getting a big contract this summer either).  Of course that all gets more complicated when Simmons returns and they still have Saric.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2016, 12:56:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
Another day, another Noel quote showing that he wants out:

Nerlens Noel: "I think I'm too good to be playing 8 minutes. That's crazy. That's crazy. That's crazy. We need to figure this s--- out."

https://twitter.com/JCameratoCSN/status/809977183682830336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

“I think there’s too much on the coach’s plate,” Noel said. “(But) the guys that run the operations, they do what they do.”

When asked how he wanted the situation resolved, Noel didn’t have a preferred solution. He just wants to play.

“I just want to be on the court playing basketball. I don’t really care who I’m playing with,” Noel said. “Ideally, I’d just like to be playing basketball. Just doing my thing, care free.”

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/12/17/nerlens-noel-frustrated-sixers/

I don't blame Noel at all. He's in a contract year, and the first time that Embiid, Okafor, and Noel are all healthy enough to play in the same game, he gets 8 minutes of playing time. And that's all on the Sixers drafting two centers in consecutive drafts after his rookie season.

This kind of flies in the face of many people's claims that they can A) keep all three, B) find minutes for all three, and C) keep all three of them happy at the same time. It is just impossible. People need to stop kidding themselves - there's absolutely no way that all three of them will make it past the trade deadline, and there's absolutely no way that they could successfully retain Noel and keep him happy at this point.

And neither Embiid or Okafor are playing full minutes yet either, let alone Simmons not having played yet! Embiid got 28 and Okafor 23, so what is going to happen when they're both capable of playing 30+ minutes a game? lol

So over/under on January 1st before Noel is moved? And at this point his trade value has got to be about as low as it can get, but how long can they really afford to keep him there when he's making quotes to the media like this?

EDIT: What's more, from what it sounds like (I didn't watch the game) but the Embiid/Okafor pairing has looked pretty terrible so far in small minutes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:24:04 AM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2016, 01:29:12 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400
Didn't watch the game, but Embiid and Okafor both seemed to perform fairly well starting together (and Covington had his best offensive game in awhile starting with them).  Since I didn't watch the game, I have no idea if they did more damage without the other in the game, but if those two can legitimately play together, then Philly keeping Noel as a backup center may just make more sense for them, especially if they aren't going to get anything of value for Noel (which also means Noel probably isn't getting a big contract this summer either).  Of course that all gets more complicated when Simmons returns and they still have Saric.

I did watch it. Or least from second quarter on. The court did look pretty congested with the two and a few times the announcers commented on it. I would imagine their plus minus together was pretty bad for this game. I don't know how to look that up. Also they lost by 10 at home to the coldest team in the league

« Reply #288 on: December 18, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
wrong thread, sorry.

« Reply #289 on: December 18, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 563

I did watch it. Or least from second quarter on. The court did look pretty congested with the two and a few times the announcers commented on it. I would imagine their plus minus together was pretty bad for this game. I don't know how to look that up. Also they lost by 10 at home to the coldest team in the league
The Sixers problem, as usual, is their terrible guard play.  They have a hard time against guard heavy teams like the Lakers.  You could take the best qualities of all the Sixers active guards and you still wouldn't have a good starting guard.  The announcers commented not just on the inability to make good passes into the post but also failing to look for their bigs for several possessions in a row.  I think their bigs individually and in combos will look significantly better offensively when Simmons gets back to run their offense.  Then they need to upgrade their guards in the draft. 

« Reply #290 on: December 18, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Embiid/Okafor played 15.6 minutes together against the Lakers and were outscored 39-27.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:53:49 PM by The Oracle »

« Reply #291 on: December 19, 2016, 01:10:39 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Embiid/Okafor played 15.6 minutes together against the Lakers and were outscored 39-27.

Broke Even tonight against the Nets.

Embiid was +9 without Okafor. That pairing just does not work at all.

« Reply #292 on: December 19, 2016, 01:30:15 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This thread title should be changed to Sixers have decided to move Noel, now.

« Reply #293 on: December 19, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Broke Even tonight against the Nets.

Embiid was +9 without Okafor. That pairing just does not work at all.
of course Okafor was 0-10 in the game and Embiid had his best all around offensive game.  Maybe he likes playing with Okafor.

« Reply #294 on: December 20, 2016, 08:53:58 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 563
Looks like Nerlens is out of the doghouse.  He's playing in the 2nd half of their game tonight. 

« Reply #295 on: December 20, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Looks like Nerlens is out of the doghouse.  He's playing in the 2nd half of their game tonight.

What in the world is going on there?

And it's interesting to see that in five out of the last six games, Embiid is shooting 22-62.

Mike

« Reply #296 on: December 20, 2016, 09:41:19 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

And it's interesting to see that in five out of the last six games, Embiid is shooting 22-62.

Mike
"rookie" wall?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #297 on: December 21, 2016, 08:43:43 AM »

Offline osterhagen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

Mike
"rookie" wall?

or just that he has been moved to the PF  position so "stud" Okafor could play more minutes

stupid move by Brown

« Reply #298 on: December 21, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Mike
"rookie" wall?

or just that he has been moved to the PF  position so "stud" Okafor could play more minutes

stupid move by Brown
Those numbers aren't correct.  Embiid has not gone 22 of 62 (35.5%) in any 6 game stretch all season.   Including yesterday's game Embiid has gone 34 of his last 79 (43%) in his last 6 games.  If you take out yesterday's game and go the 6 prior to that Embiid was 40 of 88 (45.5%) in those 6 games.

« Reply #299 on: December 21, 2016, 03:35:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Mike
"rookie" wall?

stupid move by Brown
Those numbers aren't correct.  Embiid has not gone 22 of 62 (35.5%) in any 6 game stretch all season.   Including yesterday's game Embiid has gone 34 of his last 79 (43%) in his last 6 games.  If you take out yesterday's game and go the 6 prior to that Embiid was 40 of 88 (45.5%) in those 6 games.

Attention to detail, Sixers defender.