Author Topic: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"  (Read 63650 times)

Re: Woj: Sixers plan on moving one of Noel or Okafor "eventually"
« Reply #255 on: November 28, 2016, 07:37:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 330
No question he has been an awful rebounder at just 9.9% but for some perspective, Johnson is 10.5% and Jerekbo and Olynyk are 9.7 and 9.5% respectively.  Even Horford is only 11.5%.  Only Zeller and Johnson have a higher ORB% than Okafor this year.  Mind you, Okafor is well below his rookie numbers in those stats, which isn't surprising given he is coming back from a leg injury (you kind of need your legs to rebound).

He was an awful rebounder last year too. So this whole notion of him dealing with a leg injury is just an excuse. This fascination with Okafor is mind-blowing. Looking at the landscape of the league and you'll see similar type players (Monroe and Kanter) are relegated to bench roles. However, those two can actually rebound.
He was an ok rebounder, not an awful rebounder last year (better TRB% than Horford had last year or this year as an example and his 12.8% last year would be 2nd on the team to Zeller this year).  No one is claiming he will ever be like Drummond or Jordan defensively or on the glass, but this notion that he is the worst rebounder in the world is just silly nonsense.  Okafor is an ok rebounder when healthy.  Not elite, but not going to kill you on the glass either (like say Mark Blount).

I am a bit confused about this totally healthy thing with Okafor thing I keep hearing. He had a small surgery in March. The expected recovery time of the surgery for this was 6 weeks:

Philadelphia 76ers rookie center Jahlil Okafor will miss the rest of the 2015-16 regular season with a small meniscus tear in his right knee, the team announced Friday. Okafor will resume basketball activities in six weeks, but because the season is almost over, he will not return to the court within that time frame.

Okafor has not played since Feb. 28 against the Orlando Magic, though he was initially listed out because of a shin injury. He had only missed six previous games this season, two of which were due to an early-season suspension for multiple altercations outside a Boston bar.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/3/11/11208614/jahlil-okafor-injury-76ers-knee

So we are now literally 9 months after an injury that was supposed to take 6 weeks to return from basketball injuries. Does anyone else think it is weird he is still not healthy? Did he have a serious setback or reinjury I met? Is there something else wrong with this guy?

I am a bit confused.
He had soreness in his knee on September 30th.  As a result, the Sixers kept him out of all but their final preseason game in which he was limited to an 8 minute limit (he played 7).  He has been on a minutes restriction basically all season.  Healthy people don't have minutes restrictions and don't miss basically the entire preseason.

yea. My question is what is going on? Soreness 6 months after a 6 week recovery time is just something that is accepted as normal? No explanation ever given?
Tank keeps rollin

1) They were a worse team when Okafor was on the floor last year right? How would not playing him help them tank? Maybe it is the opposite they are not playing him because they no longer want to tank? The signings of Henderson and Bayless obviously pushed them away from 15 win territory (even without simmons).
I'm giving Okafor the same pass I'm giving Jaylen Brown.  While #3 pick Okafor managed to average 17.5 points, 7 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1.2 blocks with 51% shooting as a 19/20 year old rookie, our #3 pick Jaylen is currently averaging 5.8 points, 2.3 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 0.4 blocks with 44% shooting as a 20 year old rookie... all while displaying lackluster defense that has seen his minutes in sharp decline. 

Sure, I could sit here and nitpick every aspect of Jaylen's minuscule impact on the game and how he currently ranks towards the bottom on our team in numerous conventional and advanced statistical categories, how he's on the verge of falling out of the top 10 in the rookie ladder, and how he doesn't pass the eye test in any way shape or form.  But I understand he's a 20 year old with a long way to go.   I don't see the point in nitpicking Jaylen right now.  I don't see the point in nitpicking Okafor either.   As far as I can tell, Okafor is still a better prospect than any player on our team under the age of 24 in spite of his indisputable current flaws.  No telling how he develops though.

Lar, I want to agree with you re: Okafor, but you make it so hard. You don't want to nitpick Jaylen, so then you decide to write a paragraph nitpicking Jaylen. Also, he doesn't pass the eye test? He might be the most explosive player in the whole draft. The only test he's actually passing right now is the eye test- the guy shows electricity on a regular basis.
Nobody respects Jaylen Brown more than I do.  I don't see the point in nitpicking him, showing that his Per-36 stats are bottom 4 on the entire team, pointing out that his shorts are below regulation or that his haircut went out of style with Kid N Play.  I'm not going to do that.  Jaylen gets a pass on his dismal stats and exceptionally raw basketball skills because he's a young guy.  I don't see the point in nitpicking him and pointing out that he was widely seen as the 8th best player in the draft and that early results suggest we blew it by not selecting Jamal Murray... it's too early to make those kind of comments.  Just like it's too early to dump on Jahlil Okafor less than 70 games into his spectacular young career.

Classic LB. LB gonna do LB. Sure this worked on someone.
I'm just saying, I'm not going to nitpick Jaylen or Okafor yet.  It's too early.  They both get a pass.  I don't see the point in nitpicking Jaylen by editing my above comment to point out that Gerald Green as a rookie passed the "eye test" more than Jaylen so far.  There's no point to that.   Jaylen and Okafor deserve a pass until we're at least in season 3 of them being a massive disappointment - like Marcus Smart, for instance.

Does anyone else think it's funny that this thread is basically a Celtics troll vs everyone? He is clearly trying to stir it up by making wild and zany statements to elicit emotional responses. I have taken the bait a couple of times, but at this point, I think I will treat LB's opinions like my mother in law's wacky statements (I nod and dismiss it, you know, bc she is a crazy person).

« Reply #256 on: November 28, 2016, 07:43:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No question he has been an awful rebounder at just 9.9% but for some perspective, Johnson is 10.5% and Jerekbo and Olynyk are 9.7 and 9.5% respectively.  Even Horford is only 11.5%.  Only Zeller and Johnson have a higher ORB% than Okafor this year.  Mind you, Okafor is well below his rookie numbers in those stats, which isn't surprising given he is coming back from a leg injury (you kind of need your legs to rebound).

He was an awful rebounder last year too. So this whole notion of him dealing with a leg injury is just an excuse. This fascination with Okafor is mind-blowing. Looking at the landscape of the league and you'll see similar type players (Monroe and Kanter) are relegated to bench roles. However, those two can actually rebound.
He was an ok rebounder, not an awful rebounder last year (better TRB% than Horford had last year or this year as an example and his 12.8% last year would be 2nd on the team to Zeller this year).  No one is claiming he will ever be like Drummond or Jordan defensively or on the glass, but this notion that he is the worst rebounder in the world is just silly nonsense.  Okafor is an ok rebounder when healthy.  Not elite, but not going to kill you on the glass either (like say Mark Blount).

I am a bit confused about this totally healthy thing with Okafor thing I keep hearing. He had a small surgery in March. The expected recovery time of the surgery for this was 6 weeks:

Philadelphia 76ers rookie center Jahlil Okafor will miss the rest of the 2015-16 regular season with a small meniscus tear in his right knee, the team announced Friday. Okafor will resume basketball activities in six weeks, but because the season is almost over, he will not return to the court within that time frame.

Okafor has not played since Feb. 28 against the Orlando Magic, though he was initially listed out because of a shin injury. He had only missed six previous games this season, two of which were due to an early-season suspension for multiple altercations outside a Boston bar.

So we are now literally 9 months after an injury that was supposed to take 6 weeks to return from basketball injuries. Does anyone else think it is weird he is still not healthy? Did he have a serious setback or reinjury I met? Is there something else wrong with this guy?

I am a bit confused.
He had soreness in his knee on September 30th.  As a result, the Sixers kept him out of all but their final preseason game in which he was limited to an 8 minute limit (he played 7).  He has been on a minutes restriction basically all season.  Healthy people don't have minutes restrictions and don't miss basically the entire preseason.

yea. My question is what is going on? Soreness 6 months after a 6 week recovery time is just something that is accepted as normal? No explanation ever given?
Tank keeps rollin

1) They were a worse team when Okafor was on the floor last year right? How would not playing him help them tank? Maybe it is the opposite they are not playing him because they no longer want to tank? The signings of Henderson and Bayless obviously pushed them away from 15 win territory (even without simmons).
I'm giving Okafor the same pass I'm giving Jaylen Brown.  While #3 pick Okafor managed to average 17.5 points, 7 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1.2 blocks with 51% shooting as a 19/20 year old rookie, our #3 pick Jaylen is currently averaging 5.8 points, 2.3 rebounds, 0.7 assists, 0.4 blocks with 44% shooting as a 20 year old rookie... all while displaying lackluster defense that has seen his minutes in sharp decline. 

Sure, I could sit here and nitpick every aspect of Jaylen's minuscule impact on the game and how he currently ranks towards the bottom on our team in numerous conventional and advanced statistical categories, how he's on the verge of falling out of the top 10 in the rookie ladder, and how he doesn't pass the eye test in any way shape or form.  But I understand he's a 20 year old with a long way to go.   I don't see the point in nitpicking Jaylen right now.  I don't see the point in nitpicking Okafor either.   As far as I can tell, Okafor is still a better prospect than any player on our team under the age of 24 in spite of his indisputable current flaws.  No telling how he develops though.

Lar, I want to agree with you re: Okafor, but you make it so hard. You don't want to nitpick Jaylen, so then you decide to write a paragraph nitpicking Jaylen. Also, he doesn't pass the eye test? He might be the most explosive player in the whole draft. The only test he's actually passing right now is the eye test- the guy shows electricity on a regular basis.
Nobody respects Jaylen Brown more than I do.  I don't see the point in nitpicking him, showing that his Per-36 stats are bottom 4 on the entire team, pointing out that his shorts are below regulation or that his haircut went out of style with Kid N Play.  I'm not going to do that.  Jaylen gets a pass on his dismal stats and exceptionally raw basketball skills because he's a young guy.  I don't see the point in nitpicking him and pointing out that he was widely seen as the 8th best player in the draft and that early results suggest we blew it by not selecting Jamal Murray... it's too early to make those kind of comments.  Just like it's too early to dump on Jahlil Okafor less than 70 games into his spectacular young career.

I'm just saying, I'm not going to nitpick Jaylen or Okafor yet.  It's too early.  They both get a pass.  I don't see the point in nitpicking Jaylen by editing my above comment to point out that Gerald Green as a rookie passed the "eye test" more than Jaylen so far.  There's no point to that.   Jaylen and Okafor deserve a pass until we're at least in season 3 of them being a massive disappointment - like Marcus Smart, for instance.

Does anyone else think it's funny that this thread is basically a Celtics troll vs everyone? He is clearly trying to stir it up by making wild and zany statements to elicit emotional responses. I have taken the bait a couple of times, but at this point, I think I will treat LB's opinions like my mother in law's wacky statements (I nod and dismiss it, you know, bc she is a crazy person).
Yes, other people think it's funny.

I stand by what I said...  since this forum is obsessed with Okafor and seemingly desperate to acquire him, I think it's only fair we cut Okafor the same amount of slack we cut our own guys.  Okafor's practically family now.  People start more threads here dedicated to him than our own prospects.   Let's give him the 5 Year Billups Benefit before jumping to any conclusions about his long-term prospects.  If I can believe Marcus Smart can still fix his historically bad shooting, I can believe Jahlil Okafor can still figure out how to be a competent defender. 

« Reply #257 on: November 28, 2016, 10:15:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400

I am a bit confused.

Tank keeps rollin

Yes, other people think it's funny.

I stand by what I said...  since this forum is obsessed with Okafor and seemingly desperate to acquire him, I think it's only fair we cut Okafor the same amount of slack we cut our own guys.  Okafor's practically family now.  People start more threads here dedicated to him than our own prospects.   Let's give him the 5 Year Billups Benefit before jumping to any conclusions about his long-term prospects.  If I can believe Marcus Smart can still fix his historically bad shooting, I can believe Jahlil Okafor can still figure out how to be a competent defender.

I certainly don't want him and many others have said the same in this thread so not really sure why you are talking about

« Reply #258 on: November 28, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja

I am a bit confused.

Tank keeps rollin

Yes.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2016, 10:50:20 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Mention smart's historically bad shooting:check

Mention per 36: check

Mention brown was WIDELY consodered blah blah blah around the draft: check

Baiting: check

Larbrd bot activated: check

Edit: we're missing some new dingers!

Get em going LB!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:58:32 PM by GratefulCs »
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2016, 11:28:35 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
This is how every 6ers thread on here ends being about Marcus Smart
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2016, 11:30:42 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Get em going LB!

LOL

multiple TPs coming your way haha! this is all too accurate.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #262 on: November 29, 2016, 12:02:22 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400

Get em going LB!

LOL

Yea we need some better material than talking about smarts shooting or browns lack of minutes

« Reply #263 on: November 29, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Get em going LB!

LOL

Yea we need some better material than talking about smarts shooting or browns lack of minutes

Not gonna lie, I'm a little tired of this forum to be honest. It's always the same things we talk about: philly, Okafor/Noel, Smart vs. Randle, Jaylen vs world, start, bench, or trade Isaiah, Danny is great/Danny sucks, bad trade ideas for Boogie/AD/PG13, worry about the Nets, rebounding sucks, Zeller sucks, Amir sucks, Kelly is soft.

Like, I get that these are the major storylines of our team this season, but, frankly, it's getting so old waking up and opening this site and seeing the exact same things being debated over and over and over again.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2016, 12:18:59 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Get em going LB!

LOL

Not gonna lie, I'm a little tired of this forum to be honest. It's always the same things we talk about: philly, Okafor/Noel, Smart vs. Randle, Jaylen vs world, start, bench, or trade Isaiah, Danny is great/Danny sucks, bad trade ideas for Boogie/AD/PG13, worry about the Nets, rebounding sucks, Zeller sucks, Amir sucks, Kelly is soft.

Like, I get that these are the major storylines of our team this season, but, frankly, it's getting so old waking up and opening this site and seeing the exact same things being debated over and over and over again.

Lol.  I agree but hopefully we rattle off a few wins this stretch and get some more action again.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #265 on: November 29, 2016, 12:21:42 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I was once for Okafor, his lack of defensive effort and questional BBIQ have changed that.

Noel or nothing, best case scenario he's a Tyson Chandler for us.

« Reply #266 on: November 29, 2016, 12:31:54 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The question should be: who projects as the better sixth man on a legitimate championship contender, Marcus Smart or Jahlil Okafor?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #267 on: November 29, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 563

Get em going LB!

LOL

You could always start a thread on something you'd like to discuss.  You could join in on the top 2017 draft prospects discussion.

« Reply #268 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:12 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Get em going LB!
The fact is that Marcus Smart's pro 36 shows that he is a historically bad shooter the in-home process to trust is. Sam Hinkie died Jaylen Brown's pro-36 would not exceed #10 in better good draft.  In the 2014 draft, the eye test suggests that it is no better than rookie Gerald Green's confidence in for our sins. Tier Jahlil Smart greater tier 4 Brown.  Jahlil Okafor is better than any perspective we have on our team, his Per-36 is not historically bad. Joel Embiid has a historically large Per-36.  Shirley Temple.  French Fries.  Shirley Temple.  French Fries.  Shirley Temple.  French Fries.

Brb, rebooting.

« Reply #269 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:33 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I was once for Okafor, his lack of defensive effort and questional BBIQ have changed that.

Noel or nothing, best case scenario he's a Tyson Chandler for us.

If he turned out to be 75% of Chandler, we would be in great shape.  He may care more about wanting to get paid, though.  How would you feel about signing him at $15-20 mil/year? 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC