Author Topic: Durant Meeting (Merged)  (Read 171707 times)

Re: Durant meeting
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2016, 04:46:41 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 628
http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/7/2/12088198/kevin-durant-free-agent-rumor-nba-kendrick-perkins-boston-celtics

dis is a good point

From the same article:
"I don't care about commercials, I don't really care about this sh--, I just want to hoop," Durant recently told ESPN. "So all that stuff doesn't really matter to me. It's all about who I'm gonna play with, what type of people I'm going to be around every single day and I'll go from there."

Maybe that's the reason the Celtics brought half their team.
Here's my big question...   I see Oly and Smart... I hear about Jae and Thomas being there.   

What about Avery Bradley?

If Bradley isn't there, it's because, unfortunately, the Celtics know that any trade for another star (after signing Durant and Horford) is going to REQUIRE we include Bradley's 8.3 million dollar contract.  So it wouldn't make much sense to have Bradley come when part of our pitch might literally be, "KD, we have options on the table... we could overpay for ____, we could trade for ____,  we could even trade for _____."

Let me know if anyone has a Bradley sighting, because that would surprise me.

There's no info that says that Bradley isn't there right? We didn't even know Marcus and Kelly were going to be there until this photo surfaced.

I'm just telling you point-blank that we can't pitch the idea of "trading for another impact star" with Bradley in the room.   It's just not possible.  Financially, it can't work unless we include Bradley's 8.3 million dollars.   So Boston has two options.

#1 - Bring Bradley:  "These are our guys.  We Believe in our guys.  This is our team.   With you, we can win."

#2 - Don't bring Bradley:  "We believe in our guys, but just so you know - we have options on the table to make an upgrade.  We have picks and contracts that teams want.   We want your input on who you'd like to play with ... Jimmy Butler for instance.  If we are willing to overpay, we believe we can get him"

Same reason why I wouldn't expect Paul Pierce to be part of the Clippers pitch to Durant.   The only way they can free up enough money to sign Durant is by dumping PIerce's contract.

Don't think we can pitch the idea of trading for another impact star period if we're signing Durant and Horford. We just don't have the salary to send back unless we include both Bradley and Thomas. Everyone on our roster is so cheap.

Next year. Whatever he does, he's not signing a multi year deal
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
Any news on Al Horford?
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2016, 04:51:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/7/2/12088198/kevin-durant-free-agent-rumor-nba-kendrick-perkins-boston-celtics

dis is a good point

From the same article:
"I don't care about commercials, I don't really care about this sh--, I just want to hoop," Durant recently told ESPN. "So all that stuff doesn't really matter to me. It's all about who I'm gonna play with, what type of people I'm going to be around every single day and I'll go from there."

Here's my big question...   I see Oly and Smart... I hear about Jae and Thomas being there.   

If Bradley isn't there, it's because, unfortunately, the Celtics know that any trade for another star (after signing Durant and Horford) is going to REQUIRE we include Bradley's 8.3 million dollar contract.  So it wouldn't make much sense to have Bradley come when part of our pitch might literally be, "KD, we have options on the table... we could overpay for ____, we could trade for ____,  we could even trade for _____."

There's no info that says that Bradley isn't there right? We didn't even know Marcus and Kelly were going to be there until this photo surfaced.

I'm just telling you point-blank that we can't pitch the idea of "trading for another impact star" with Bradley in the room.   It's just not possible.  Financially, it can't work unless we include Bradley's 8.3 million dollars.   So Boston has two options.

#1 - Bring Bradley:  "These are our guys.  We Believe in our guys.  This is our team.   With you, we can win."

#2 - Don't bring Bradley:  "We believe in our guys, but just so you know - we have options on the table to make an upgrade.  We have picks and contracts that teams want.   We want your input on who you'd like to play with ... Jimmy Butler for instance.  If we are willing to overpay, we believe we can get him"

Same reason why I wouldn't expect Paul Pierce to be part of the Clippers pitch to Durant.   The only way they can free up enough money to sign Durant is by dumping PIerce's contract.

Don't think we can pitch the idea of trading for another impact star period if we're signing Durant and Horford. We just don't have the salary to send back unless we include both Bradley and Thomas. Everyone on our roster is so cheap.

Not true you can send out ab,brown,rosier,young,mickey and land butler for instance, same with cousins I believe but may need to send KO in that one.

Doesn't work. Chicago doesn't have enough roster spots. It would take some kind of absurd 3 or 4 team trade where we spin young guys into second round picks which we send to Chicago.
We need to include 14 mil to take back Butler or Cousins (16.9 mil)

Once you include Bradley, you only need to come up with 5.7 mil in salary.  So if you included Hunter, Young and Rozier, it should be enough.   If necessary, you could include a 3rd team if roster space is an issue.  We don't need to get into deep details here, but the key thing is - any deal to land another "big fish" HAS to include Bradley's contract.  There's just no other way to do it. 

So again, if I see Bradley is part of the meeting, I'll be surprised.  I don't know how you can pitch the idea of trading for another impact star with Bradley in the room.  You'd essentially be saying, "Hey KD... come play with us!  ... But if you want, we can trade that guy for a better player (points to Bradley)"

Re: Tom Brady seen with Celtics before Durant meeting
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2016, 04:53:03 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
DA: "Hey Clippers, I see you brought three all stars. Whell heres half our team and our hall of fame Quarterback.

Drops mic.

« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2016, 05:00:41 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope

dis is a good point

From the same article:

Not true you can send out ab,brown,rosier,young,mickey and land butler for instance, same with cousins I believe but may need to send KO in that one.

Doesn't work. Chicago doesn't have enough roster spots. It would take some kind of absurd 3 or 4 team trade where we spin young guys into second round picks which we send to Chicago.

Once you include Bradley, you only need to come up with 5.7 mil in salary.  So if you included Hunter, Young and Rozier, it should be enough.   If necessary, you could include a 3rd team if roster space is an issue.  We don't need to get into deep details here, but the key thing is - any deal to land another "big fish" HAS to include Bradley's contract.  There's just no other way to do it. 

So again, if I see Bradley is part of the meeting, I'll be surprised.  I don't know how you can pitch the idea of trading for another impact star with Bradley in the room.  You'd essentially be saying, "Hey KD... come play with us!  ... But if you want, we can trade that guy for a better player (points to Bradley)"

If they are able to sign both Durant and Horford before the 7th, wouldn't they be able to include Amir and/or Jerebko in a trade?
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #110 on: July 02, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Realistically they've got nothing to lose. They are underdogs. Can't hold anything back.

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

dis is a good point

From the same article:

If they are able to sign both Durant and Horford before the 7th, wouldn't they be able to include Amir and/or Jerebko in a trade?

Need to waive Amir and Jerebko to sign both Durant and Horford.

LarBrd, I agree that it's theoretically possible but it's just too many moving pieces imo. Although if anyone can pull that off it's probably Ainge.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2016, 05:03:03 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

dis is a good point

From the same article:

gross. He's more likely to want IT dealt

« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2016, 05:06:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

dis is a good point

From the same article:

gross. He's more likely to want IT dealt
Can't see that happening. Thomas is our all-star.  He's our main recruiter.  He bought himself some job security.  It would look really bad if we traded him right now. 

And still - Bradley makes 2 mil more than Thomas.  Matching salary is the challenge.  Bradley would basically need to be included in any deal.

« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2016, 05:07:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

dis is a good point

From the same article:

No

We'd have to renounce the rights to Amir, Jerebko and I think even recind our qualifying offers to Sully and Zeller to free up enough cap space to sign Horford and Durant.  Those guys would be gone by then.

« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2016, 05:10:37 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The girl next to Marcus is ghastly! I hope that's not his girlfriend
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #117 on: July 02, 2016, 05:12:05 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo

dis is a good point

From the same article:

No

We'd have to renounce the rights to Amir, Jerebko and I think even recind our qualifying offers to Sully and Zeller to free up enough cap space to sign Horford and Durant.  Those guys would be gone by then.

You're wrong about that LB, check the jj Amir guarantee thread.

« Reply #118 on: July 02, 2016, 05:13:56 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

dis is a good point

From the same article:

No

You're wrong about that LB, check the jj Amir guarantee thread.
Can we wait until there is a report of at least lukewarm interest on KD's part? lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2016, 05:21:58 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
seems a bit gimmicky for a guy who's trying to make a pure basketball decision.  Also just a bit weird.  What is the message?  You can be like Tom if you come here?  You can hang out with Tom?  Tom likes Boston so you will too? 

I'll eat this post if he chooses Boston.