Author Topic: 2016 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 228564 times)

Re: 2016 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #1545 on: June 23, 2016, 11:37:08 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
So we traded away the rondo, the captain and kg for the giddens 2.0 and three Euro's

Gotta do better than that next year

« Reply #1546 on: June 23, 2016, 11:37:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009
Do you guys realize we have limited roster space?  This forum is nuts tonight.
This is a situation Danny should have been prepared for beforehand. Just throwing away these supposed "assets" for nothing because "other teams are trying to rip us off" is a sign of incompetence.

If nobody's trading with you, maybe you should stop stockpiling draft picks...

Anige had plenty of offers today, but he felt like they weren't enough.
Of course he did, because he's irrational and thinks he should fleece every single GM that he trades with.

Any details on the fair trades he turned down, or just speculation and that one 76ers trade?

Philly trade for sure, but that's largely been the consensus view on Ainge, even today. He lowballs teams and tries to badger them into lopsided trades. There were several sources that came out today saying how much of a hardass he was being in the trades.

EDIT: For example, it's pretty well accepted that Butler was priced at Crowder and the Brooklyn pick at the deadline. However, it was said that Crowder was virtually "untouchable" in trades with Danny. That's the type of stuff I'm talking about. Greatly overvaluing our prospects and trying to overly-fleece other GMs on EVERY SINGLE TRADE. That just doesn't happen.

« Reply #1547 on: June 23, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 615
Some of the commentary of the post-first round reactions is priceless. I mean legit gold. I know, schadenfreude. Last year, people were legit p---ed that Ainge didn't take Robert Upshaw at 16. Like p---ED. It's hilarious to re-read now. Same deal with this year. People need to chill and let the young guys develop.

This. I'm actually getting tired of knee jerk reactions here on CB. Buddy Hield is my guy but I get why Danny chose Jaylen Brown. I remember people getting p---ed with the Olynyk and Rozier pick and they turn out to be solid players. I'm taking 90% of opinions here as a grain of salt. I'll just wait and see how these rookies will pan out.

« Reply #1548 on: June 23, 2016, 11:38:27 PM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
So we traded away the rondo, the captain and kg for the giddens 2.0 and three Euro's

Don't forget abot Crowder, common'

« Reply #1549 on: June 23, 2016, 11:38:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
What was the trade??

31st & 35th pick to Memphis in return for a 2019 1st rounder(I believe that is via the Clippers)

Wow, both picks for one pick in 3 years?  That seems pretty crappy.

I think it is a great trade.  This is exactly the sort of pick consolidation trade that people were begging for and there is a non-negligible chance that Doc Rivers can run the Clippers into the ground just in time for the Celtics to get a near lottery pick out of it.
I agree, it's a pretty good trade to consolidate a couple 2nd rounders into a future 1st rounder, and I do believe with the protections it will convey. Quality over quantity.

The night didn't go as many expected (no blockbuster trade) but we didn't lose Crowder, Smart, Bradley or even Rozier, Mickey, Hunter. The team is still building and not making hasty moves that will deplete our depth. We did a couple of potential euro-stash selections that may pay off in a few years. We still have the 2017 BKN pick which looks better than ever with Thad Young traded away. Lastly, the Celtics still have gobs of cap space and if they let a few option expire could possibly sign two max players in free agency. 

« Reply #1550 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:03 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1216

I mean sure, if you ignore the other stuff (like two firsts, IT, and Crowder), I guess you're righr, but that's like saying that the Wolves traded Love for Thaddeus Young
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1551 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:10 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
D-Jax
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #1552 on: June 23, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Are the kids asleep so that the adults can finally have a normal conversation about the draft?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1553 on: June 23, 2016, 11:40:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Diablo maybe going to NOP?

They already had Katrina? ;) ;D

« Reply #1554 on: June 23, 2016, 11:40:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
I'm not thrilled with the way things turned out, but I think people are being way too hard on the Celtics.

I have no idea what the draft offers were, other than the fact that the Covington/Noel/24/26 rumor seems pretty solid. So we could have traded #3 for one year of Noel and filler (because nobody knew what would be left at 24 and 26). Then he's a FA. So if we want him that much, we can sign him then.

Jaylen Brown could be tremendous. He could also suck. But I'd rather have him than the one year of Noel and other stuff.

15 - I have no idea what to think of this guy. Can't grade it.

23 - If I had to guess now, I'd say that this will turn out to be the best value, given where we picked him up.

31&35 - Yup, very disappointing. I would have liked to have gotten more for those. Memphis won that trade.

It looks like they were so intent on the "killer trade" that they missed some opportunities, like the #8 from Sac. There clearly are things that went very wrong with this draft. But calling it an "F" draft is too far in the negative direction.

Mike

I look at Noel like I do Hayward: yeah, we could give up #3 to get him, but I think we have a good shot of signing him as a FA next year anyway.  The #3 shouldn't be traded for a 1 year rental of anyone that isn't a perennial all star

That is actually an excellent way of looking at it. Why give up assets of great value for guys that we are very likely to be able to sign as free agents a year from now? We aren't winning it all this coming season anyway.

« Reply #1555 on: June 23, 2016, 11:40:59 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I haven't been right about a pick yet, although I guess I said they'd trade back from three and get Brown or Bender, but I'm calling Mamadou Ndiaye.  I actually watched him work out in a video and he had a decent little shot. 

Take a chance, he is 290 so not your typical 7'6" guy.

« Reply #1556 on: June 23, 2016, 11:41:39 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm not thrilled with the way things turned out, but I think people are being way too hard on the Celtics.

I have no idea what the draft offers were, other than the fact that the Covington/Noel/24/26 rumor seems pretty solid. So we could have traded #3 for one year of Noel and filler (because nobody knew what would be left at 24 and 26). Then he's a FA. So if we want him that much, we can sign him then.

Jaylen Brown could be tremendous. He could also suck. But I'd rather have him than the one year of Noel and other stuff.

15 - I have no idea what to think of this guy. Can't grade it.

23 - If I had to guess now, I'd say that this will turn out to be the best value, given where we picked him up.

31&35 - Yup, very disappointing. I would have liked to have gotten more for those. Memphis won that trade.

It looks like they were so intent on the "killer trade" that they missed some opportunities, like the #8 from Sac. There clearly are things that went very wrong with this draft. But calling it an "F" draft is too far in the negative direction.

Mike

I look at Noel like I do Hayward: yeah, we could give up #3 to get him, but I think we have a good shot of signing him as a FA next year anyway.  The #3 shouldn't be traded for a 1 year rental of anyone that isn't a perennial all star

That is actually an excellent way of looking at it. Why give up assets of great value for guys that we are very likely to be able to sign as free agents a year from now? We aren't winning it all this coming season anyway.

Same with Ibaka too I guess.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #1557 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:08 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
What was the trade??

31st & 35th pick to Memphis in return for a 2019 1st rounder(I believe that is via the Clippers)

Wow, both picks for one pick in 3 years?  That seems pretty crappy.

I think it is a great trade.  This is exactly the sort of pick consolidation trade that people were begging for and there is a non-negligible chance that Doc Rivers can run the Clippers into the ground just in time for the Celtics to get a near lottery pick out of it.
I agree, it's a pretty good trade to consolidate a couple 2nd rounders into a future 1st rounder, and I do believe with the protections it will convey. Quality over quantity.

The night didn't go as many expected (no blockbuster trade) but we didn't lose Crowder, Smart, Bradley or even Rozier, Mickey, Hunter. The team is still building and not making hasty moves that will deplete our depth. We did a couple of potential euro-stash selections that may pay off in a few years. We still have the 2017 BKN pick which looks better than ever with Thad Young traded away. Lastly, the Celtics still have gobs of cap space and if they let a few option expire could possibly sign two max players in free agency.

What max player is even out there this year? And none are coming here

« Reply #1558 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC

I mean sure, if you ignore the other stuff (like two firsts, IT, and Crowder), I guess you're righr, but that's like saying that the Wolves traded Love for Thaddeus Young

I was just talking about the draft picks brought in. Seems they were as valuable as expected

« Reply #1559 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

>Euros

implying we know anything about their value based on their origin  :-X