Author Topic: 2016 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 227410 times)

Re: 2016 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #1530 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is the part where Ainge trades the remaining picks for magic beans and some self described intelligent fans think it's the best deal that was out there.

I view picks past 40 or so like the end pieces of a loaf of bread. I mean, yeah, they technically have value, but you may as well throw them out

Are you going to insult people for not getting mad at Danny for not using them?
Danny has to "use" them one way or another so that's sorta a weird question.

« Reply #1531 on: June 23, 2016, 11:32:04 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214
This is the part where Ainge trades the remaining picks for magic beans and some self described intelligent fans think it's the best deal that was out there.

I view picks past 40 or so like the end pieces of a loaf of bread. I mean, yeah, they technically have value, but you may as well throw them out

I hope IT doesn't see this, he might tweet at you.

I'm sure some end pieces are really great, too, but I'm not gonna start eating them all the time just to find out

I'll just trade a crappy player and pick for them  ;)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1532 on: June 23, 2016, 11:32:26 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
They are not adding through free agency. This roster is chalk full of marginal talent.... hunter, brown, young, rozier, Smart, Johnson, Mickey...

« Reply #1533 on: June 23, 2016, 11:32:56 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 956
I'm not thrilled with the way things turned out, but I think people are being way too hard on the Celtics.

I have no idea what the draft offers were, other than the fact that the Covington/Noel/24/26 rumor seems pretty solid. So we could have traded #3 for one year of Noel and filler (because nobody knew what would be left at 24 and 26). Then he's a FA. So if we want him that much, we can sign him then.

Jaylen Brown could be tremendous. He could also suck. But I'd rather have him than the one year of Noel and other stuff.

15 - I have no idea what to think of this guy. Can't grade it.

23 - If I had to guess now, I'd say that this will turn out to be the best value, given where we picked him up.

31&35 - Yup, very disappointing. I would have liked to have gotten more for those. Memphis won that trade.

It looks like they were so intent on the "killer trade" that they missed some opportunities, like the #8 from Sac. There clearly are things that went very wrong with this draft. But calling it an "F" draft is too far in the negative direction.

Mike

« Reply #1534 on: June 23, 2016, 11:32:59 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Dang. Zagorac was another guy I wanted.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #1535 on: June 23, 2016, 11:33:04 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Picks past 40 or so are often sold for cash, which isn't "using" them.  I think the Nets will buy a late second (not necessarily from us)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1536 on: June 23, 2016, 11:33:23 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Some of the commentary of the post-first round reactions is priceless. I mean legit gold. I know, schadenfreude. Last year, people were legit p---ed that Ainge didn't take Robert Upshaw at 16. Like p---ED. It's hilarious to re-read now. Same deal with this year. People need to chill and let the young guys develop.

« Reply #1537 on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:26 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
They are not adding through free agency. This roster is chalk full of marginal talent.... hunter, brown, young, rozier, Smart, Johnson, Mickey...

Amir and Smart are marginal talents? Just because they didn't make a trade does mean the end of the world.

« Reply #1538 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:06 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
do we know if the 2019 clips pick has a protection?

« Reply #1539 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
They are good at doing NOTHING

Picking under sized players and avoiding trading for impact players .

« Reply #1540 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:13 PM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31
Zhou Qui or Kay Felder???

« Reply #1541 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2986
Trader Danny is gonna keep us hanging until he can finally swing that big trade. Or retire.

But free agency is around the corner. Fireworks! Heh.

The KG trade and Brooklyn trade has absolutely hurt Danny's ability to trade with and his expectations for trades. No GM wants to look like an idiot like Billy King, and Danny now expects home runs on every single trade. You have to hit a single or a double every once in awhile, too.

This idea is absolutely stupid.

Would you rather have GM who everyone loves to trade with because he gets fleeced?

Think about what you are saying.

Come on.

Yeah, because it's bifurcated and there's only two options for a GM to be like - Danny Ainge type and always getting fleeced.  ::) There's absolutely no way to be in the middle of those two extremes (just like I suggested with hitting singles and doubles).

"This idea is absolutely stupid."

Think about what you are saying."

"Come on."

« Reply #1542 on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Picks past 40 or so are often sold for cash, which isn't "using" them.  I think the Nets will buy a late second (not necessarily from us)
I guess if we just need cash so bad then it will be an ok deal. If cash is the thing of most value to the Celts at this point...I mean that would be weird, but I suppose it might depend on how much we get. If some player after the 40th becomes a very good player then Ainge needs to be held responsible for that and not excused for it.

« Reply #1543 on: June 23, 2016, 11:36:01 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
I'm not thrilled with the way things turned out, but I think people are being way too hard on the Celtics.

I have no idea what the draft offers were, other than the fact that the Covington/Noel/24/26 rumor seems pretty solid. So we could have traded #3 for one year of Noel and filler (because nobody knew what would be left at 24 and 26). Then he's a FA. So if we want him that much, we can sign him then.

Jaylen Brown could be tremendous. He could also suck. But I'd rather have him than the one year of Noel and other stuff.

15 - I have no idea what to think of this guy. Can't grade it.

23 - If I had to guess now, I'd say that this will turn out to be the best value, given where we picked him up.

31&35 - Yup, very disappointing. I would have liked to have gotten more for those. Memphis won that trade.

It looks like they were so intent on the "killer trade" that they missed some opportunities, like the #8 from Sac. There clearly are things that went very wrong with this draft. But calling it an "F" draft is too far in the negative direction.

Mike

I look at Noel like I do Hayward: yeah, we could give up #3 to get him, but I think we have a good shot of signing him as a FA next year anyway.  The #3 shouldn't be traded for a 1 year rental of anyone that isn't a perennial all star
I'm bitter.

« Reply #1544 on: June 23, 2016, 11:37:06 PM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31

Amir and Smart are marginal talents? Just because they didn't make a trade does mean the end of the world.
I'm so high on Mickey, I think he will be better than Sabonis