Author Topic: Kings play by play announcer Grant Napear torches 'disgraceful' DeMarcus Cousins  (Read 23330 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Some food for thought. Particularly interesting when he says the other players are sick of it too. Has some pretty good points. We are truly rolling the dice thinking about bringing this guy into the locker room after all these years of building us up to this point.

Kings play by play announcer Grant Napear on Radio yesterday. March 14, 2016

"As I was driving into the studio today, I was wondering how many times in the last six years have I had to do what I’m going to do right now, and that’s talking about DeMarcus Cousins, again stepping out of bounds, getting in trouble, getting suspended, and at what point is enough enough? I said two years ago that enough was enough, I said it last year that enough was enough, and I’m gonna say it again, alright? It’s just absolutely disgraceful that a 25 year old professional athlete has no respect for authority at all. He has ZERO respect for authority.

"You know, this isn’t an isolated incident. This has happened the very first day that he walked into Arco Arena. It started with Paul Westphal, and here we are, six years later, and it’s still going on with another coach, this guy by the name of George Karl. It’s wrong, it’s disgraceful, it’s embarrassing for the organization, and he sucks the air right out of the team. That’s not my opinion, I’ve talked to a lot of guys on the team. He sucks the air out of the locker room. Okay?

"The Kings are gonna have another bad season this year, and in my opinion, he’s largely responsible for it. He’s largely responsible for it because his teammates just flatout get sick of it. They don’t want to deal with it. He sucks the air out of the locker room. Disrespectful to your superiors, disrespectful to authoritative figures, it’s flat-out wrong. Now, I don’t know about you, okay – I’ve seen six years of it, and I’ve seen enough, okay? But I’m not – I don’t make the decisions about this organization. I have a talk show, and I announce the games. Alright? These decisions are way above my head. That’s not what I do.

"What I am saying, though, is – does this community want to move into a brand new, iconic, phenomenal building with a clean slate, or do they want the slate muddied before they even walk into the door? Does anyone think that DMC is not going to be doing the same stuff next year? Why would we think that after six years of immature, disgraceful, embarrassing behavior, that just because we’re moving into a new building, that everything’s gonna be fine and dandy?

"At some point – and this is the conclusion that I’ve come to, and again, this is my opinion – you are who you are. And that’s who DMC is. Alright? And for those of you that may call and want to talk to me about ‘Well, they haven’t put any good talent around him’, and blah blah blah, I disagree with that notion. I think the talent on this team was upgraded considerably from last year.

"But let’s just say that you’re right and I’m wrong. Let’s just say that I’ve got the wrong opinion of the talent on this team. Do you see Rudy Gay acting like this? Do you see Darren Collison acting like this? Do you see Omri Casspi acting like this? Have you seen Rajon Rondo be anything other than a consummate professional this year? Do you see Quincy Acy act like this? I mean, I can go right down the line. Alright, what about players that were here before? Did you ever see Tyreke Evans act like this? You ever see Isaiah Thomas act like this? You ever see Patrick Patterson act like this? You ever see Marcus Thornton act like this? You ever see Jimmer Fredette act like this? I mean, I can go right on down the list. The reality is that this guy has got an issue that I dont’ think is fixable. That’s my opinion. Now, I could be wrong. I’m just one guy speaking on the radio here. That’s my opinion.

"He has been nothing but a headache for this franchise, in my opinion. It’s been a headache from the day he walked into the building, and here are six years later, and it’s still a headache. And you know, it would be one thing if the Sacramento Kings were winning a lot of games with DMC on the roster. but the reality is they haven’t even come close to winning a lot of game,s and there’s a good chance they’re not going to win 30 games for the sixth year in a row this season.

"It’s one thing if you have a player on your team who’s a major pain in the you-know-what, and yet you’re winning 50 to 60 games every year and you tolerate it and you put up with it, and you turn your head the other way. But that’s not the situation here. We’re not turning our head the other way because the team’s losing every year. Every single year that DMC has been here, the team has underachieved. And they’re underachieving greatly this year.

"Now, would it be fair to put 100% of the blame on him? No, it wouldn’t. But I’m putting a lot of the blame on him. Because if your teammates don’t want to be on the court with you, then that’s your problem, that’s nobody else’s problem. And if you suck the air out of the entire organization, that’s on you. It’s not on the coach, and it’s not the general manager, and it’s not on your teammates. That is on you.

"DMC will not play [on Friday] because of conduct detrimental to the team. How many times has that happened in six years? How many times has there been conduct detrimental to the team over the last six years where he wasn’t punished for it, or you didn’t know about it, or that it went on and nobody knew about it? I can tell you that the number of times is numerous. That’s what I can tell you. It’s not just once in a while, it’s all the freaking time. The guy does not respect authority.

"And I don’t want to hear about how he hates to lose, alright? I know a lot of the guys on the team, both past and present, they hate to lose also. they hate to lose also. They don’t act like this. People say he’s frustrated. You don’t think Rudy Gay’s frustrated? You don’t think Darren Collison’s frustrated? You don’t think Omri Casspi’s frustrated? Do you see them act like this?

"Why does DMC feel that he’s entitled to act like this? What has he ever accomplished in his career? Seriously, what’s he ever accomplished? What gives him the right to act like this when the rest of the teammates over the last six years have acted like professionals? What’s he so different? Why is he so different than the other players he’s played with over the six years? What gives him the ability to think that he can act however he wants and that it’s okay? What gives him the notion to think that he can act the way he acted last night and on numerous, numerous, numerous occasions over six years, and that that is conducive to winning?

"I keep on hearing how DeMarcus Cousins, all he wants to do is win. He’s not capable of winning! He’s not capable of winning because he doesn’t allow the team to win, because he sucks the air out of the team all the time! You can’t win when you’re the reason why you’re holding back your team with your actions! Six years we’ve been dealing with this! Six years! It’s not getting any better! Six years! I hear ‘Well, he’s very talented.’ Yeah, he is very talented. ’He’s an All-Star.’ Yes, he is an All-Star, okay. Do you care about how talented a guy is, or do you care about whether the team wins or not?

"He wants to win, but he doesn’t realize he’s his own worst enemy. He keeps on saying how much he wants to win, but he doesn’t realize that by his actions, he’s preventing his team from winning! He keeps on talking about how important it is to win, and he hates losing, but he doesn’t understand that the reason why the team loses so much is because his actions kill the team! Pretty easy to understand, pretty easy to see, isn’t it? How many more – are we going to have to deal with this next year, and then the year after that? How many times does a guy have to cross the line before you realize that it’s not working, period?

"I don’t know about you, I’ve always been about the name on the front of the jersey here, ever since I walked into town in 1987. I’m all about the Sacramento Kings, alright? The jersey does not say Sacramento Cousins, it says Sacramento Kings. That’s what I care about. Do you think I like sitting here watching the team lose every night? No. Do you think I think you like watching the team lose every night? No. Do I want to go into this brand new, amazing, Golden 1 Center with this type of cloud hanging over the organization? No, I don’t. What about you? Do you want to? Think about it. Think about everything that we’ve worked for in this community, which we are going to see come to fruition a couple months from now. Think about it.

"I want you to think about, during this commercial break, everything that we’ve dealt with in this community for the last five years. I want you to think about all the dark days that we had trying to save this team. I want you to think about all those city council meetings where we were on pins and needles. I want you to think about all the meetings that happened in New York with the NBA Board of Governors where we were on pins and needles. I want you to think about those dark days. And I I want you to think about what is ahead in October.

"We have a chance to have bright blue skies and starry nights. It’s right there in front of us. is that possible with #15 on your team? That’s for the Sacramento Kings to decide, not me. But I know this; after six years of repetitive behavior and disrespect of authority, that;s very disconcerting."
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Woah this dude killed it.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
hmmmm....i wonder what he really thinks about cousins?  ;)

entertaining and filled with some good points. his argument that cousins is not the only one who is frustrated, wants to win, hates to lose, etc. but he is the only one to act poorly time and time again is a point that makes me stop and wonder.

i really dont know anymore whether CBS can work with cousins because i am not sure cousins wants to work with any coach.

all that talent torpedoed by all that attitude it seems.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't think this guy is very objective, to be honest. He went through an entire diatribe aimed at Cousins, but not once did he mention the incredibly dysfunctional environment he's been placed in or the lunacy that he's had to deal with from the owners' and management's intrusion into the basketball activities.

I mean, we're talking about an ownership and management team  who fired their coach, who was very close to their star player, due to a poor record when their star player had viral meningitis that kept him on the bench for the majority of the season thus far. We're also talking about an owner who legitimately wanted to implement a four-on-five defensive scheme for the Kings just to have a guy cherry-picking in the backcourt. It's like he played a rec-league game, saw that strategy work on a couple of occasions, and decided it would be a legitimate strategy for a team in the most elite basketball association in the world.

There are definitely risks with trading for him, but you absolutely cannot discuss Cousins' behavior without at least putting it into the context that is the absurd nature of Sacramento Kings' basketball. I truly think this last episode was the last straw with Cousins on the Kings, and he'll legitimately be traded this offseason. And I truly think if we do give him up without giving away a significant chunk of our core, he will come in, dominate the East, and we'll be the favorites to come out of the East, and that's without even entertaining the fact that he could also help draw in another star player in free agency.

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
WOW!  TP for posting that. This, to me carries weight. If Karl grills him after the season you can find ways to blame George. If a teammate or former teammate grills him you can find ways to blame that person.

I'm not sure how anyone could say that the play by play guy has an axe to grind against DeMarcus. He's been there the entire time that DMC has, and his comments about how teammates feel, how DMC treats authority, etc. have credibility in my eyes. This is the most [dang]ing thing I've read about the young man and quite frankly this specific article would make me nervous if Danny does acquire him during the offseason.

How often do you have a team employee *on the record* unload on a guy like this?  I don't recall ever seeing anything similar. As I said above- wow. Just, wow.

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
That, my friends, is what you call a ROAST.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
I don't think this guy is very objective, to be honest. He went through an entire diatribe aimed at Cousins, but not once did he mention the incredibly dysfunctional environment he's been placed in or the lunacy that he's had to deal with from the owners' and management's intrusion into the basketball activities.

I mean, we're talking about an ownership and management team  who fired their coach, who was very close to their star player, due to a poor record when their star player had viral meningitis that kept him on the bench for the majority of the season thus far. We're also talking about an owner who legitimately wanted to implement a four-on-five defensive scheme for the Kings just to have a guy cherry-picking in the backcourt. It's like he played a rec-league game, saw that strategy work on a couple of occasions, and decided it would be a legitimate strategy for a team in the most elite basketball association in the world.

There are definitely risks with trading for him, but you absolutely cannot discuss Cousins' behavior without at least putting it into the context that is the absurd nature of Sacramento Kings' basketball. I truly think this last episode was the last straw with Cousins on the Kings, and he'll legitimately be traded this offseason. And I truly think if we do give him up without giving away a significant chunk of our core, he will come in, dominate the East, and we'll be the favorites to come out of the East, and that's without even entertaining the fact that he could also help draw in another star player in free agency.

That's what I've always said about DeMarcus. But to Grant's point, Collison, Gay, Casspi, etc. have been subject to that same dysfunction and they aren't acting like petulant children. DMC is. And DMC alone. Maybe it's past my bedtime  :) and I'm reading a bit too much into this, but I feel like this article has significantly changed the way I view this situation.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

he did mention, via context, that the situation is the same for all the kings players. but only cousins has handled it the way he did. he also mentioned that if the kings were winning, then such behavior might be tolerated.

so, i see your point, but i think the author handled it at least obliquely.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I'm trying to remember has Gormon ever went off on a player like this before? If he did, it'd be pretty danging.

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Keep lowering Cousins' trade value, Kings's employees!

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
This is absolutely great....Cousins was obviously a spoiled brat as a child....and all his talent and money have turned him into a monster ego-maniac...We've seen it a few times in the past 30-40 years with certain players...but not on the level of this knucklehead.

Please forward this to Danny Ainge.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
This is awesome!

TP for the post.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Is the owner the Indian guy that was featured on CBS 60  minutes for using some kind of mathematical algorithm to coach is young daughter's basketball team to success against better opposition?

Perhaps he felt he could replicate his 'genius' in the NBA.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

That's what I've always said about DeMarcus. But to Grant's point, Collison, Gay, Casspi, etc. have been subject to that same dysfunction and they aren't acting like petulant children. DMC is. And DMC alone. Maybe it's past my bedtime  :) and I'm reading a bit too much into this, but I feel like this article has significantly changed the way I view this situation.

Collison and Gay have only had to deal with it for two or so years, and Casspi is a nobody that hasn't earned the right to complain.

Look, Cousins definitely has some warning flags about him, but you can't say it's too late with him until you see him in a better context. Bird controlled Stephenson for the most part, and Turner has been controlled in Boston when he was problematic elsewhere. There are tons of examples where players change environments and cultures and become different players. I think Cousins is one of those players.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Is the owner the Indian guy that was featured on CBS 60  minutes for using some kind of mathematical algorithm to coach is young daughter's basketball team to success against better opposition?

Perhaps he felt he could replicate his 'genius' in the NBA.

I couldn't tell you about that, but his name is Vivek Ranadive, if I remember correctly. I do think he is of Indian ethnicity, though.