Author Topic: If I had a chance to trade Smart For Elfrid Peyton I would do it in a heartbeat  (Read 98390 times)

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Saying someone is competitive and has heart does not mean they aren't good players. KG is a huge one and that's just one example (I can give many more if you want).

Why is it that a lot of people hate more on our own players while propping up other players? Every day I check this site, there is only one person who currently plays for the Celtics that people don't trash and that's Z (new guys and Young don't count but I can imagine a year from now after unmet expectations). Everyone else gets a "bad player" thread at least every other week. GWall rarely plays and people still talk bad about him LOL.

I'm not saying you have to love our guys but man, can they get a break at all?

Smart isn't automatically a great player= bum
AB isn't good at every single aspect of the game= DA that contract is the worst ever
Bass not a star=bum
Pressey 3-4th PG who racks up DNP= worst player ever (okay, 2nd, ppl still mad about Fab)
KO not even through 2nd season, horribly  inconsistent= Giannis is a god
GWall= DA messed us up for years give up a first to get rid of him
Sully= Allstar one day and horrible fatty the next

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I'm glad the players don't seem to meet up with a lot of you (that or you lie face2face), they always say good things about the fans.

You seem to mistake opinions for facts.

The reality with this forum is that most of the fans here are homers, who will take opinions as a rub on their players, then completely right a post about why the opinion of that person is wrong. Which is funny because all it shows is that they somehow think they can prove with the stats that they discount themselves because it's "only 22 games" or he is "still young"

Opinions are based on Facts, and history, also physical abilities

Many people have said Smart is no the most ahtletic, while Elfrid is extremely atheltic
Many have said Smart cannot finish or does not play above the rim, while Elfrid does all those better.....

so my opinion is that Elfird will be a very good pentrator and good finisher to the basket , while smart will probably never be that good.....

See that is the opinion based on scouts who have watched these guys play, they have based it on athleticism as well, which seems like Smart has not got too much of,

And what do you know? You can see that Smart is not a driver, a finisher, a go to the hoop type player.

The people who talk out of there butts so to speak are not the ones saying Smart wont be as good, its the ones who think he will be a star or a very good player.

I question the assertion that Elfrid Payton is more athletic than Marcus Smart or that Payton "plays above the rim."

I don't believe those statements to be true, based on what I've seen, read, and--dare I do this--their respective pre draft measurements.

I definitely think that Payton has better natural point guard skills as a ball handler and a passer than Marcus.  On the other hand, Marcus is a better shooter and defender. 

Personally, I'm glad we chose Marcus.  He's the guy I wanted going into the draft, and I'm willing to stick with him.  I love his toughness, his competitiveness, his leadership qualities, and his ability to defend.

Time will tell.  This is no knock on Elfrid Payton, who I believe has the tools to turn into a very good pro himself.

Than you have not done your homework If you think Payton is not more athletic and better and can play above the rim.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Neither player is very good.  I wouldn't do this trade because it is simply trading crap for crap.  However, I wouldn't be upset if it happened.

Edit: in addition,  "heart" and "toughness" are frequently just euphemisms for talentless.
Ill think about that when those words are used to describe guys like Duncan, KG, Kobe, etc.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
folks here are using points, assists, and rebounds as comparison stats, which is fine. but when looking at differences shooting percentages need to be viewed fully as well.

peyton's shooting, even in college, raises questions.

peyton
2pt% = 41.1
3pt% = 21.1
ft% = 48.8

smart
2pt% = 48.9
3pt% = 35
ft% = 68.8

Why are you lying?

Why are you accusing him of lying? Those stats are correct, look them up.
I'm bitter.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Saying someone is competitive and has heart does not mean they aren't good players. KG is a huge one and that's just one example (I can give many more if you want).

Why is it that a lot of people hate more on our own players while propping up other players? Every day I check this site, there is only one person who currently plays for the Celtics that people don't trash and that's Z (new guys and Young don't count but I can imagine a year from now after unmet expectations). Everyone else gets a "bad player" thread at least every other week. GWall rarely plays and people still talk bad about him LOL.

AB isn't good at every single aspect of the game= DA that contract is the worst ever
Bass not a star=bum
Pressey 3-4th PG who racks up DNP= worst player ever (okay, 2nd, ppl still mad about Fab)

I'm glad the players don't seem to meet up with a lot of you (that or you lie face2face), they always say good things about the fans.

The reality with this forum is that most of the fans here are homers, who will take opinions as a rub on their players, then completely right a post about why the opinion of that person is wrong. Which is funny because all it shows is that they somehow think they can prove with the stats that they discount themselves because it's "only 22 games" or he is "still young"

Many people have said Smart is no the most ahtletic, while Elfrid is extremely atheltic
Many have said Smart cannot finish or does not play above the rim, while Elfrid does all those better.....

so my opinion is that Elfird will be a very good pentrator and good finisher to the basket , while smart will probably never be that good.....

See that is the opinion based on scouts who have watched these guys play, they have based it on athleticism as well, which seems like Smart has not got too much of,

And what do you know? You can see that Smart is not a driver, a finisher, a go to the hoop type player.

The people who talk out of there butts so to speak are not the ones saying Smart wont be as good, its the ones who think he will be a star or a very good player.

It doesn't matter if it's an opinion or not if it doesn't make sense it doesn't make sense.

Also, this may come as a shock to you but scouts have been wrong MANY TIMES too.  :o I could own the Celtics if I was paid in nickles every time a scout was wrong. Equally as shocking, scouts are giving their opinions too, no matter what they base it on. Any bum off the street can use the same data they use and be as right/wrong as a scout can be. Yes, some people can have a better understanding of how to judge players but just look at how many people who are drafted and aren't playing in the league the next few seasons... who helped decide to pick them? What do you know? Scouts. I'm not sure, maybe it was Joe Blow who chose Fab Melo (one of thousands)?  ::)

I won't believe you really think all or even a great majority of opinions are based on facts, history, and physical abilities.

*Avery Bradley is a terrible player
*Avery Bradley is a great player

Give you both sides of the spectrum. Now, just with those small examples, tell me how either one of those opinions are based on any of those things.

Many people (loads of scouts) say that this person or that person is the next Bird, Jordan, etc. when they step up to the big leagues they are nothing more than the next bust.

I said before

Avery Bradley will not be starter on a good team that wants to win one , why? because hes undersized, and lacks basketball IQ .....DONE DEAL

What you get on Celticsblog

"Bradley can do backdoor cuts, him and Rondo will be special, hes can be really good"

That is what you get here. Not reality based facts. This is the NBA not college.

AB was already a starter on a team that wanted to win one. Your theory hasn't been proven right just b/c AB was injured and required surgery. What happens from here on out doesn't matter because you are already factually wrong!

I can see I'm wasting time with you, here I am trying to have a conversation with someone who is just trying to be condescending and failing. You can say what you want from here.

DONE DEAL
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
folks here are using points, assists, and rebounds as comparison stats, which is fine. but when looking at differences shooting percentages need to be viewed fully as well.

peyton
2pt% = 41.1
3pt% = 21.1
ft% = 48.8

smart
2pt% = 48.9
3pt% = 35
ft% = 68.8

Why are you lying?

so your lying as well?

Your telling me that Elfrid Payton did not average 19.2 points a game and 50.9% from the field in his final year?

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Bass not a star=bum

It doesn't matter if it's an opinion or not if it doesn't make sense it doesn't make sense.

Also, this may come as a shock to you but scouts have been wrong MANY TIMES too.  :o I could own the Celtics if I was paid in nickles every time a scout was wrong. Equally as shocking, scouts are giving their opinions too, no matter what they base it on. Any bum off the street can use the same data they use and be as right/wrong as a scout can be. Yes, some people can have a better understanding of how to judge players but just look at how many people who are drafted and aren't playing in the league the next few seasons... who helped decide to pick them? What do you know? Scouts. I'm not sure, maybe it was Joe Blow who chose Fab Melo (one of thousands)?  ::)

I won't believe you really think all or even a great majority of opinions are based on facts, history, and physical abilities.

Give you both sides of the spectrum. Now, just with those small examples, tell me how either one of those opinions are based on any of those things.

Many people (loads of scouts) say that this person or that person is the next Bird, Jordan, etc. when they step up to the big leagues they are nothing more than the next bust.

I said before

Avery Bradley will not be starter on a good team that wants to win one , why? because hes undersized, and lacks basketball IQ .....DONE DEAL

"Bradley can do backdoor cuts, him and Rondo will be special, hes can be really good"

That is what you get here. Not reality based facts. This is the NBA not college.

AB was already a starter on a team that wanted to win one. Your theory hasn't been proven right just b/c AB was injured and required surgery. What happens from here on out doesn't matter because you are already factually wrong!

I can see I'm wasting time with you, here I am trying to have a conversation with someone who is just trying to be condescending and failing. You can say what you want from here.

DONE DEAL

Your wasting time because your never right anyway. Your like the other celtic fans who go game by game and use statistics as a way to make a point.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Bass not a star=bum

I said before

Avery Bradley would be an ideal starting SG on a team like OKC, so saying that he could never start in a contending team is beyond stupid.  Could he be one of the top options on a contending team? No. But as a 3 and D player on a team where he's not a top option, he would do quite well

But opinions like that is what you get in this thread. Not reality based on facts
I'm bitter.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
EP has started almost as many games as Smart has just appeared in. Played in 40 total games vs Smarts 22 games and so far shooting worse also at 6 more minutes per game only .5pts better. He is also no way near the defender Smart is. He does have more ast and reb per but given teams and playing style that is expected. No way I choose EP over Smart.

I don't care about the stats, I watch Payton play, and Smart.....I Like Payton, keyword is I like , but still I think he will be better for sure, i dont think orlando would do it, but i bet boston would.

And Payton is a pretty [dang] good defender.

Smart's got much better shooting stats whether you care about them or not.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Bass not a star=bum

I said before

Avery Bradley would be an ideal starting SG on a team like OKC, so saying that he could never start in a contending team is beyond stupid.  Could he be one of the top options on a contending team? No. But as a 3 and D player on a team where he's not a top option, he would do quite well

But opinions like that is what you get in this thread. Not reality based on facts

Yea he can be like Sefolosha , Start the game, play like 15-20 minutes and not play in the 4th. He can do that.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

peyton
2pt% = 41.1
3pt% = 21.1
ft% = 48.8

smart
2pt% = 48.9
3pt% = 35
ft% = 68.8

Why are you lying?

so your lying as well?

Your telling me that Elfrid Payton did not average 19.2 points a game and 50.9% from the field in his final year?

I'm telling you that, this year, those stats are correct.  Seriously, look them up.  I don't care what he shot in college, he's shooting abysmally in the NBA
I'm bitter.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
EP has started almost as many games as Smart has just appeared in. Played in 40 total games vs Smarts 22 games and so far shooting worse also at 6 more minutes per game only .5pts better. He is also no way near the defender Smart is. He does have more ast and reb per but given teams and playing style that is expected. No way I choose EP over Smart.

I don't care about the stats, I watch Payton play, and Smart.....I Like Payton, keyword is I like , but still I think he will be better for sure, i dont think orlando would do it, but i bet boston would.

And Payton is a pretty [dang] good defender.

Smart's got much better shooting stats whether you care about them or not.

So your admitting is about the shooting stats?

I prove my point again.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

peyton
2pt% = 41.1
3pt% = 21.1
ft% = 48.8

smart
2pt% = 48.9
3pt% = 35
ft% = 68.8

Why are you lying?

so your lying as well?

I'm telling you that, this year, those stats are correct.  Seriously, look them up.  I don't care what he shot in college, he's shooting abysmally in the NBA

Dude what are you talking about........can you read and comprehend

the guy said , his shooting in college even raises questions, then he proceeded to post statistics......

WHICH ARE COMPLETELY WRONG AND FALSE...

stop trying to save face. I did not do anything wrong. The guy flat out failed, and posted false statistics.

Those are not even his NBA stats, if you even want to make that case and give this guy a pass........look at Marcus Smart's stats, those are not even his NBA stats either.

Stop, just stop

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

peyton
2pt% = 41.1
3pt% = 21.1
ft% = 48.8

smart
2pt% = 48.9
3pt% = 35
ft% = 68.8

Why are you lying?

so your lying as well?

the guy said , his shooting in college even raises questions, then he proceeded to post statistics......

stop trying to save face. I did not do anything wrong. The guy flat out failed, and posted false statistics.

Those are not even his NBA stats, if you even want to make that case and give this guy a pass........look at Marcus Smart's stats, those are not even his NBA stats either.

Stop, just stop

I literally just looked up the stats for the two of them, and those are the correct stats for this season.  I literally don't know what to say but that you should look them up, if you find different stats, go ahead and post them, but I think you'll find that those are correct.

As for the other poster, he said that Payton's shooting in college raised questions, which it did.  Like Smart, one of the knocks on him was his poor shooting. He never claimed the stats given were from college, and neither did I.

You need to read a little closer, especially if your gonna accuse people of lying or say that I can't "read and comprehend"
I'm bitter.

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

peyton
2pt% = 41.1
3pt% = 21.1
ft% = 48.8

smart
2pt% = 48.9
3pt% = 35
ft% = 68.8

Why are you lying?
He was listing their current stats.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paytoel01.html

Peyton didn't shoot well in college either:

.485 2FG%   .268 3FG%   .611 FT%

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

peyton
2pt% = 41.1
3pt% = 21.1
ft% = 48.8

smart
2pt% = 48.9
3pt% = 35
ft% = 68.8

Why are you lying?

so your lying as well?

Stop, just stop

I literally just looked up the stats for the two of them, and those are the correct stats for this season.  I literally don't know what to say but that you should look them up, if you find different stats, go ahead and post them, but I think you'll find that those are correct.

As for the other poster, he said that Payton's shooting in college raised questions, which it did.  Like Smart, one of the knocks on him was his poor shooting. He never claimed the stats given were from college, and neither did I.

You need to read a little closer, especially if your gonna accuse people of lying or say that I can't "read and comprehend"

Lay off the drugs.

A personal attack? Really?

Look the stats up, personal attacks aren't going to help your argument
I'm bitter.