Author Topic: 2014 NBA Combine Thread (Measurements Are Posted)  (Read 51251 times)

Re: 2014 NBA Combine Thread (Measurements Are Posted)
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Zach Levine has killed the tests today .  He's been talked about as a late teens to mid-20's guy, but don''t be surprised if he creeps up to the lottery.  Explosive jumping (41.5 inch max vert), and top-tier agility.

i agree. This is a guy by just his measurements/test results , potential will be one of the risers of the draft.  For some teams that have two 1st, it could be a no brainer to take a risk on him.

i wouldn't be suprised one bit if the 76ers took him at 10. Lavine and MCW backcourt combo could be amazing if it all pans out

« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2014, 01:38:49 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Zach Levine has killed the tests today .  He's been talked about as a late teens to mid-20's guy, but don''t be surprised if he creeps up to the lottery.  Explosive jumping (41.5 inch max vert), and top-tier agility.

Exum and Levine would be an exciting backcourt to watch for years to come.

That would be so exciting if it all panned out

« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Exum and Levine would be an exciting backcourt to watch for years to come.

That would be so exciting if it all panned out

Yeah it's fun to play out the scenarios. That would be a very exciting combination!

4 more days until the lottery!

« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
if we pick 5 my ideal draft is Aaron Gordon and LaVine, but with the way LaVine is testing I don't think he'll be there at 17.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Vonleh got 37 inches on his max vert.  Combined with a 9-foot standing reach, he can really get up there.  In the "list you big board" thread a couple days ago, I listed him fourth ahead of Embiid because I thought he would hit 12 feet in his max vert reach, and it looks like he'll be there or near there.  I know people think I'm crazy for rating him ahead of Embiid, but I'm standing by that with these combine results.  He's a little thicker than I thought he was, but I don't think that's a bad thing, other than making him not quite the same body type as Chris Bosh.  I still think they have similar skillsets.

« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
IMO a lot of people are overrating the Draft Combine measurements.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Vonleh got 37 inches on his max vert.  Combined with a 9-foot standing reach, he can really get up there.  In the "list you big board" thread a couple days ago, I listed him fourth ahead of Embiid because I thought he would hit 12 feet in his max vert reach, and it looks like he'll be there or near there.  I know people think I'm crazy for rating him ahead of Embiid, but I'm standing by that with these combine results.  He's a little thicker than I thought he was, but I don't think that's a bad thing, other than making him not quite the same body type as Chris Bosh.  I still think they have similar skillsets.

his max vertical is higher than Bosh (33). Higher than Griffin (35). On par with Ibaka (37).

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
IMO a lot of people are overrating the Draft Combine measurements.

It matters as the difference maker.  But yeah it shouldn't matter as much as ppl think. Look at Cody Zeller and his incredible max leap ability. He has done very little with it in real life games.

Thabeet incredible wingspan has been only good for cheerleading purposes

« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Bosh's standing reach is like ten and a half feet, plus he is literally better at everything.  He is faster, quicker, better jump shot, much better defense, elite passing, etc.  It's not really the same. 

« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Why would McDermott do the athletic testing but not the drills? He is great at drills and i'm sure he won't be great when athletically tested.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Bosh's standing reach is like ten and a half feet, plus he is literally better at everything.  He is faster, quicker, better jump shot, much better defense, elite passing, etc.  It's not really the same.

Vonleh is much stronger at the same age, better post scoring skills and i would argue better jump shooter. Vonleh can hit the three and Bosh couldn't at the same age. He has been only decent in the last few years

« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja

his max vertical is higher than Bosh (33). Higher than Griffin (35). On par with Ibaka (37).

while i understand how such numbers can impress us with a player's potential, personally i take them with at least a small grain of salt.

a trip down memory lane...anyone want to draft this guy?

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1033

Kedrick Brown, 6'7" sf out of Okaloosa-Walton CC

22.9 pts/g, 8.8 rbs/g, 3.0 ast/g

2001 Scouting Report:

Strengths: Super athletic player posses a 45-inch vertical is a threat to catch ally-oops in transition ... Strong NBA ready body was strong enough in Junior College to play in the paint ... Excellent finisher on the fast break lets his athleticism take control along with his good body control ... Can create shots for himself off the dribble doesn't really need a point guard to set him up ... Creates mismatches thanks to his versatile inside outside game as he is too strong for most small forwards and to fast for power forwards ... Plays very good defense blessed with quick hands and has wonderful leaping ability making him a threat to block shots and steal the ball ... Very good rebounder due to his leaping ability which makes it very hard to keep him off the boards ... Descent passer although by no means Lamar Odom ... Shot selection is above average considering his game experience ...

Weakness: Doesn't have that much playing experience when it comes to as he hasn't really played stiff competition ... Needs to work on being better when it comes to ball protection as of right now he has a tendency to be careless with the ball ... 3-point shot still needs to continue to be more consistent while it has improved it is far from reliable ... Must continue on being a better mid-range shooter ... Fundamentally Brown is still learning the do's and dont's of organized ball although this will improve with added game experience
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #162 on: May 16, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Bosh's standing reach was 9'1", 1 inch more than Vonleh.  10 and a half feet would be ridiculous.  His arms would hang to his ankles.  Don't make things up that are verifiably false.

« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

You do know that some players short arm the standing reach in order to improve their vertical score, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Arizona's Aaron Gordon hits 39 inches on his vertical