Which Job is the best job?

Knicks
6 (16.2%)
Lakers
3 (8.1%)
Warriors
28 (75.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: You are Steve Kerr and you are offered the following jobs, which one do you take  (Read 10929 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1567
So it appears that Kerr will likely take the Knicks job, but he is from northern California so the Warriors would be interesting (and are the best team of the 3) and the Lakers are the Lakers, so if you were Kerr and you were offered all 3 jobs, which one would you take?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Warriors, though I'd have a lot of questions about how the Jackson situation went down.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
GSW = title contender, strong balanced core to build team around.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25585
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
All three situations have pretty big questions about their ownership / management.

Golden State has the best team now, though, and they look to have the best team going forward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4600
I think this a really tough one, and a good question.

New York and LA are the top 2 high profile gigs there are, likely offering the best money, the best chance for mainstream exposure (not like he's an unknown or anything though), but he also be under the biggest microscope with every move/decision mercilessly scrutinized.

The Golden State roster looks pretty set for the next few years, barring any major injuries or trade demands, that's a 50+ win team for the foreseeable future.

New York has always been a mess, as long as Dolan is there I wouldn't want to go there.  Hall of Fame coaches like Larry Brown, Lenny Wilkens, and Don Nelson haven't been able to succeed with the Knicks, so as an inexperienced coach (or even an experienced one), I wouldn't want to go there.

LA has great ownership and has always been able to rebuild quickly.  But I wouldn't want to go there in this time of transition and having to deal with an aging Kobe with that huge salary on the books.

I would go with GS, probably less stress, almost guaranteed to look like a good coach for the next few seasons.

And besides most coaching gigs don't last that long.  Go coach GS for 3-5 years winning about 50 games a year, then move to the Lakers in time to take control of the next dynasty there.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 09:44:05 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1567
All three situations have pretty big questions about their ownership / management.

Golden State has the best team now, though, and they look to have the best team going forward.
That is why I posed the question, I think it is fascinating.  I personally voted for the Lakers because well they are the Lakers.  The most high profile franchise in the league, in a city that free agents want to go to, with an established star, a very high pick in the up coming draft, and a lot of cap space to work with.  And given the way the Warriors just dumped Jackson and the Knicks being every bit as much of a pressure cooker, I don't think there is really all that much more pressure in LA than the other jobs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Depends a lot on the money, years, taxes.  All things equal probably Lakers. I like the idea of starting over more than the idea of having Melo to deal with.  Working with Phil may have pros....and cons.  And the Warriors just seem dysfunctional to me.

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I voted Knicks.  Here is why:

The Knicks + Kerr + Some basic moves are likely to make the playoffs next year in the East.  The East is THAT bad.  And if you make the playoffs in the East then you have a decent chance at advancing to the next round, unless you play Miami in round 1.

The Warriors + Kerr + Some basic moves have a 60/40 chance of making the playoffs and very low chance of advancing to the second round. 

The Lakers + Kerr + some basic moves have a very low chance of making the playoffs.

In short, given the Lakers' situation I don't see why anyone would want to coach there over the next few years, until Kobe is off the books.  And there is very little upside to coaching the Warriors.  They outplayed their expectations this year and are doubtful to get much further next year with or without Kerr. 

The Knicks on the other hand will have a bedrock GM who will support you and bring in guys that fit your schemes.  Should things fail there will be several scapegoats before Kerr (Carmelo, Dolland, etc).  The fans are hungry for success, and just making the playoffs and standing a chance to advance to the 2nd round would be considered a big improvement. 

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I go to the Knicks because I know I can run a system that's similar to the Triangle with management that's totally behind me and an owner who's willing to spend whatever he can to get the pieces that management tells him will make my system work.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 436
I believe Steve Kerr to the Knicks, Mike D'Antoni to Goldne State, Mark Jackson to the Lakers, and Utah-I have no idea lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Everybody is saying Knicks, but that would definitely be my last choice.

I really question how much longer Melo is going to be there.  He only went there because Amare was an MVP-caliber player.

On the other hand, the Lakers/Warriors are basically guaranteed to be a good team 5 years from now.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Everybody is saying Knicks, but that would definitely be my last choice.

I really question how much longer Melo is going to be there.  He only went there because Amare was an MVP-caliber player.

On the other hand, the Lakers/Warriors are basically guaranteed to be a good team 5 years from now.

According to the votes, the Warriors are comfortably in front.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
How on Earth did Steve Kerr become such a hot commodity? That makes no sense to me at all

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
All three teams has their pros and cons but I think GSW has the most pros to out weigh the bad.

NY and LA have the nice spotlight in a big city, but that might be too much for a new coach like Kerr to handle. NY has Dolan that is always strapped in the cash department but they have Phil who might be able to help turn the franchise around. Tough thing going there is you have so many superstar egos, probably a wash year this year, and a completely new team in 2015 with all the summer cap space.

LA you have to deal with Bryant whom if he dislikes you you are going to be out just as fast as you come in.

GSW has a good balanced TEAM. A group of players that are likeable, seems to be coachable, and have tasted some success in the regular season and in playoffs. Kerr could come in their and is he runs a good system they could be a legit contender with the pieces falling into place. They are a coaching move and another veteran role player away from contention. (Iknow they dont grow on trees but adding a David West type player to GSW would do wonders for them...Even if Chicago amnesties Boozer he would be a huge addition to them for little money in the locker room and off the bench 20 minutes a night).

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Win now?  Golden State.

Long term & for the rebuild?  Lakers.

I wouldn't touch that Knicks job with Dolan in there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team