Author Topic: I'm becoming a huge fan of Aaron Gordon  (Read 47568 times)

Re: I'm becoming a huge fan of Aaron Gordon
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Not to hijack the thread but Rodney Hood is the kid I'm fast becoming a fan of.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Gordon actually has pretty good handle of the ball, not as a driver but as a passer on the break or in offensive half court sets.

His main issue is his ability to shoot.

honestly I am fine with any of the top 10-12 prospects in this draft except for WCS.  He is going to be a huge bust, I bet he spends most of next season in the D-League...

On a side note - anyone see the link on ESPN saying that Wiggins has actually been the best freshman this year if you go by the numbers?  It was interesting, Kansas has played the toughest schedule in the country this year and against the top teams he is averaging over 20 pts a game...I will see if I can find the link...

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Gordon actually has pretty good handle of the ball, not as a driver but as a passer on the break or in offensive half court sets.

he has a good 3 pt shooting per. he knows he is needed underneath the basket vs being out on the perimeter. we watched hs clips. kid has decent handles

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 09:37:53 AM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

he has a good 3 pt shooting per. he knows he is needed underneath the basket vs being out on the perimeter. we watched hs clips. kid has decent handles
I can only go by his college games, and in those his handles are meh when it comes to a face and drive game.

He's a 33% shooter from the college 3 line and a sub-50% FT shooter. Given that his other shots are almost all at the rim I think its fair to say his shooting is a problem.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Nothing worse than an undersized power forward tweener. My least favorite type of player in the NBA. Plus, over the years the Celtics have been infatuated with the undersized PF and it drives me crazy. Pass.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
he is a poor mans Blake... Vonleah will be the real deal imo

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:47 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I would want to avoid him. He's gonna be a good rotation player in the league but nowhere near an All-Star. I wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 422
Nothing worse than an undersized power forward tweener. My least favorite type of player in the NBA. Plus, over the years the Celtics have been infatuated with the undersized PF and it drives me crazy. Pass.

The infatuation has been mostly a value thing. Powe was a great value pick. BBD was a great value pick and trading him for Bass proved to be a better value. Sully is boarder line undersized but has obviously been a great pickup.

However I do agree forwards with SF size and PF skill are great in college but typically struggle in the NBA. They usually max out as above average 1st bigs off the bench. This worries me about Gordon and to a less extent even Randle. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 01:51:48 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't think Gordon's a tweener.  He's around 6'9 in shoes with a near 7 foot wingspan.  Those aren't great measurables for a PF but he has enough bulk and size to physically hold up there.  He may not have skill level of an above-average small forward but I think he'll be capable of defending the position well.  Either as a small forward or power forward, I think he's a role player but a potentially high end one if his shooting improves because he plays smart and is well-rebounded. 

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Here is what I think about his NBA prospects: he'll have trouble playing the 3 based on his speed and shooting and will have trouble playing the 4 based on his size...if he plays under a bad coach.  If he plays under a good coach, he will be one of two forwards and they'll make it work.  If a team with a bad coach drafts him, I would target him as a buy low candidate next summer

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Here is what I think about his NBA prospects: he'll have trouble playing the 3 based on his speed and shooting and will have trouble playing the 4 based on his size...if he plays under a bad coach.  If he plays under a good coach, he will be one of two forwards and they'll make it work.  If a team with a bad coach drafts him, I would target him as a buy low candidate next summer

we have brad stevens who is a good coach. ppl im sure agree we need to improve on defense and adding an athletic, above the rim player with rim protection capabilities. Not alot of these players avail in the 2014 draft.

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 02:55:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
just a question. what do ppl think of faried? still undersized pf that was correct being drafted in the late teens?

no response to the question above. the answer is he was short changed to be incapable to handle nba pfs, and got drafted 10 spots too late.

faried is a premiere pf. and if gordon is anything like him, wouldnt u want him on the team?

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
just a question. what do ppl think of faried? still undersized pf that was correct being drafted in the late teens?

no response to the question above. the answer is he was short changed to be incapable to handle nba pfs, and got drafted 10 spots too late.

faried is a premiere pf. and if gordon is anything like him, wouldnt u want him on the team?

He is not a premier PF. I'd choose Sullinger over Faried 10/10. Like Gordon, Faried is limited offensively. Gets most of his points off of dunks and put backs. If Gordon is anything like Faried, I wouldn't pick him with a lottery pick.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

He is not a premier PF. I'd choose Sullinger over Faried 10/10. Like Gordon, Faried is limited offensively. Gets most of his points off of dunks and put backs. If Gordon is anything like Faried, I wouldn't pick him with a lottery pick.

faried is pretty much a double double machine. he does so many other things to make up for lack of high end scoring skills.

imo he is a premier pf. and btw he outplayed sullinger the last game scoring 21 pts and 13 reb vs 8pts and 7 reb

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 05:16:44 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
he is a poor mans Blake... Vonleah will be the real deal imo
I too like the kid from Indiana. He's a little raw but he shows in having skills in almost all phases of the game. Haven't seen him push the ball up the court tho..lol..
I've seen him block a shot way out of bounds that he probably could've knocked to a teammate. So his next block you could tell he eased up and did just that. He learns fast. He's going to develop nicely.

Edit: I didn't mean to highjack the thread either so I'll just say Gordon wouldn't be my 1st pick so it all depends if he's the pick we get from Atl/Bkn and who else is available with the second pick.