Author Topic: I'm becoming a huge fan of Aaron Gordon  (Read 47572 times)

Re: I'm becoming a huge fan of Aaron Gordon
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Have you actually seen Kaminsky play games??

Why when someone disagrees with you do you pull out this same old, tired, immature, somewhat insulting line?

Of. Ourse I have seen him play. And I saw Olynyk play in college. Their college games and general athleticism and body types coming out of college are extremely similar. If you disagree fine, but please, stop with the condescending questions when someone doesn't see things he same way.

It's not a condescending question. It's a legit question. Bc imo you are not getting the subtle but key differences between the two.   

Kaminsky has a 7'1-7'2 wingspan vs KOs 6'10 wingspan. This makes a difference in the defensive end.  That is why Kaminsky is an above average shot blocker in college and KO was below average.    Also Kaminsky has been blocked far less around the basket vs KO in college

Kaminsky will be able to play the inside/outside game in the NBA. KO has turned into a stretch 4/5.   Kaminsky is an "alpha dog" calibre player. KO is a "supplementary" type of player.

Having KO on the team does not mean you skip Kaminsky bc of their perceived similarities.  You don't have to put them out on the floor at the same time all the time either. Though there will be situations where having both guys out at the same time will be a big adv for the team

Where are you getting that wingspan? To be honest his arms look on par with Olynyk's.

« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Don't we already have Frank Kaminsky on the Celtics? His name is Kelly Olynyk. I mean their games in college were so similar. Can't see. Kaminsky becoming anything that KO already isn't already.

Kaminsky has a higher ceiling.   Kaminsky is a like a hybrid between KO and Zeller.   Unlike KO he will be able to score closer to the basket. Unlike Zeller he has the perimeter skills/3 pt shooting
Having Kaminsky and KO out on the floor at the same time, could open up the interior on the offensive end big time.
So basically you hope that Kaminsky will become the player you thought Olynyk would become 2 years ago when he was drafted but hasn't become since joining the league. I see to much. Olynyk in his game and think we don't need the redundancy on the team.

Have you actually seen Kaminsky play games??

I know why you are comparing them, but they are also different.  Kaminsky is more of a "alpha dog" type player vs the "glue" type player KO is

Kaminsky can take over games.   Watch what he does in the tourney

Kaminsky is also a shot blocker. Both are not the best rebounders.  But both are good team defenders and the way CBS has his guys playing/helping out,  rebounding shouldn't be an issue

You also don't need Kaminsky and KO out at the same time. 

KO, Bass, Kaminsky, Zeller would be a good unique frontcourt unit that fits with CBS system like a glove.  WCS is a guy this team can use but would not fit with CBS system. Like Brandan Wright didn't really fit in.   

One thing I think that is underrated about Kaminsky is his boxing out ability.  He might not get a ton of rebounds but he prevents his player from grabbing one.  In the NBA where more teams retreat on the shot I could see Kaminsky's rebounding numbers going up.

I agree with Triboy about Kaminsky being a good fit on the Celts.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2015, 02:52:25 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
you'd take a taller Jae Crowder with the 4th pick in the draft??

Youre pretty much calling him a bust making that comparison.

Jae Crowder is a bust?

if a team picked him at #4 hoping he'd be their new franchise player?  Yes he would be.

as a role player on a hopeful playoff team.  no hes not.

Is Marcus Smart a franchise calibre player?

would you rather have a good 2 way player or an all defensive calibre player that is not so great on the offensive end??

Id rather have a franchise caliber player that can be elite on both ends of the floor if I'm selecting them #4 in the draft.

If Marcus Smarts ceiling is a great defender that can hit a 3 point, then he is a bust with a #6 pick.  Would you take Bruce Bowen at #6??  or #4??

By saying Aaron Gordons ceiling is Jae Crowder, youre calling him a role player at best.  As valuable as a good defensive role player is on a team it's not something you look for in a top 5 pick.

Greg

« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Jae Crowder is a bust?

if a team picked him at #4 hoping he'd be their new franchise player?  Yes he would be.

would you rather have a good 2 way player or an all defensive calibre player that is not so great on the offensive end??

Id rather have a franchise caliber player that can be elite on both ends of the floor if I'm selecting them #4 in the draft.

If Marcus Smarts ceiling is a great defender that can hit a 3 point, then he is a bust with a #6 pick.  Would you take Bruce Bowen at #6??  or #4??

By saying Aaron Gordons ceiling is Jae Crowder, youre calling him a role player at best.  As valuable as a good defensive role player is on a team it's not something you look for in a top 5 pick.

no, a taller Jae Crowder. More explosive version.

Btw Marcus Smart is not a bust at #6.   What you are talking about is the "ideal"

How many top 10 guys actually end up becoming franchise calibre players?  Sometimes you might get one or two franchise calibre players every other draft.

« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
If Aaron Gordon can develop a three point shot, he'll be the next Draymond Green -- a guy people are discussing as a max contract player.

His skill-set at the PF position is very impressive in terms of team defense, man-to-man defnese, rebounding, passing and ball-handling. Very good finisher around the basket and in transition. Just needs to get his outside shot up to an acceptable level.

Very early to be writing him off.

« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If Aaron Gordon can develop a three point shot, he'll be the next Draymond Green -- a guy people are discussing as a max contract player.

His skill-set at the PF position is very impressive in terms of team defense, man-to-man defnese, rebounding, passing and ball-handling. Very good finisher around the basket and in transition. Just needs to get his outside shot up to an acceptable level.

His shooting mechanics looks better than it was in college. He nailed a 3 pt shot against us the other day.  That block/grab on Zeller was filthy

With the Celtics he would be encouraged to practice on his shot more, take it with confidence.  Drive when you have an opening . Play your game.

With the Magic he looks like a garbage man. Crashing the boards. Guarding pfs, instead of also defending out on the perimeter utilizing his excellent footwork. With celts like with Crowder , he would be asked to switch left and right and be able to defend multiple positions. And do a great job

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2989
Meh....rather have Jonas somebody who can shot or Crowder for that matter..

Sorry teenie boppers.....he is not your next Blake Griffin ...too small ....small frame

Rather have Crowder

« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Jae Crowder is a bust?

Btw Marcus Smart is not a bust at #6.   What you are talking about is the "ideal"

How many top 10 guys actually end up becoming franchise calibre players?  Sometimes you might get one or two franchise calibre players every other draft.

I dont disagree with what you just said.  Theres plenty of guys in the top 10 that dont meet expectations and become more than serviceable players, but youre saying this was your opinion of Gordon before the draft. What you were originally asked was if your opinion has changed regarding Aaron Gordon.  You said no it hasnt, if he was used correctly he'd be a taller, more explosive Jae Crowder.

If someone told you before the draft that Aaron Gordons ceiling is a taller, more explosive Jae Crowder, you'd be comfortable picking him at 6??  C'mon dude.

Go back to the first page of this thread.  You're comparing him to Blake Griffin but with a higher basketball IQ
Greg

« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Jae Crowder is a bust?

I dont disagree with what you just said.  Theres plenty of guys in the top 10 that dont meet expectations and become more than serviceable players, but youre saying this was your opinion of Gordon before the draft. What you were originally asked was if your opinion has changed regarding Aaron Gordon.  You said no it hasnt, if he was used correctly he'd be a taller, more explosive Jae Crowder.

If someone told you before the draft that Aaron Gordons ceiling is a taller, more explosive Jae Crowder, you'd be comfortable picking him at 6??  C'mon dude.

Go back to the first page of this thread.  You're comparing him to Blake Griffin but with a higher basketball IQ

considering the draft, Wiggins and Parker being the top 2 pick. Picking Smart at 6 is not a bust at all. I would say, 2014 draft, if we picked Smart at #1 as he is playing right now, then yes he is a bust assuming the other players were picked after him. Our pick at #6, not many players or player picked after Smart are considerably better than him. Only Payton comes to mind. Randle is out, Vonleh (some people picked him before Smart in 2014, and people labeled him as Bosh 2.0)? Smart is not a bust at all.

If we did 2014 over again, just by this year alone, Smart is top 4 easy, with Wiggins, Parker, Payton and Smart?

« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2989
Borden...meh...way over rated by teenies

Give me Smart anyday......real talent

« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2015, 05:01:56 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Gordon's only played 32 games and averaged 15 minutes a game on a bad Orlando team.  I don't think you can make much of a judgment on him yet, other than he'll need quite a while before he becomes whatever he's going to be.

Mike

« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

Jae Crowder is a bust?

considering the draft, Wiggins and Parker being the top 2 pick. Picking Smart at 6 is not a bust at all. I would say, 2014 draft, if we picked Smart at #1 as he is playing right now, then yes he is a bust assuming the other players were picked after him. Our pick at #6, not many players or player picked after Smart are considerably better than him. Only Payton comes to mind. Randle is out, Vonleh (some people picked him before Smart in 2014, and people labeled him as Bosh 2.0)? Smart is not a bust at all.

If we did 2014 over again, just by this year alone, Smart is top 4 easy, with Wiggins, Parker, Payton and Smart?

it depends on what your definition of a bust is.    it's way too early to declare either Gordon or Smart a bust.  I just originally threw it out there since the question was posed to triboy whether his opinion of Gordon has changed.  My points basically been if your comparison of the guy has gone from being a 'smarter' blake griffin down to a taller more explosive Jae Crowder, then clearly somethings changed, and if my opinion of a guy now that his ceiling will be a more explosive version of an average league role player, then hes gonna be a bust, considering you had much MUCH higher hopes for the man coming out of college.

as far as Smart goes, hes been a great player for us and I think he'll be good player in the league, and Im not saying hes not the 6th best player in this draft thus far.  All I'm saying, is that if his NBA career is what it is right now, then you'd have to consider him a bust, taking into account what was thought of him going into the draft.
Greg

« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2015, 07:34:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

His shooting mechanics looks better than it was in college. He nailed a 3 pt shot against us the other day.  That block/grab on Zeller was filthy

With the Celtics he would be encouraged to practice on his shot more, take it with confidence.  Drive when you have an opening . Play your game.

With the Magic he looks like a garbage man. Crashing the boards. Guarding pfs, instead of also defending out on the perimeter utilizing his excellent footwork. With celts like with Crowder , he would be asked to switch left and right and be able to defend multiple positions. And do a great job

So the Magic are essentially using him like he was used at Arizona.

« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

So the Magic are essentially using him like he was used at Arizona.

no they are not. Not even close.  I saw him stuck to his man (I think it was Jerebko, who basically didn't move much when he played).    Gordon in Arizona was all over the place. He was guarding 2 guys at once at times

On the offensive end, he didn't get many touches vs the Celts.