Author Topic: Kings are putting together a package for Rondo  (Read 45961 times)

Re: Kings are putting together a package for Rondo
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I don't see how this works considering Sac can't trade their firsts until they know if it is being sent to Cleveland or not. It's protected until 2017 and then becomes a 2nd rounder.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Historically,the Team that gets the BEST player in a trade, wins out...so, No to this deal. You don't trade your All-Star player for multiple mediocre players...Unless your All-Star wants out.

This has been talked about a lot here, but I think this is a fairly broken cliche at this point. Orlando and Denver won the Howard and Melo deals, respectively, both with packages of 'pieces', after their stars asked out and when they had less years on their deals than Rondo.

The Cs could certainly trade Rondo for a package of stuff and win -- especially in the long run -- as long as the package is sweet. And that's a pretty sweet package, assuming the picks are SAC's.

That said, that rumor hardly seems credible, though you can see why SAC would reach for a guy like Rajon.

A lot of people are already lumpimg the KG Pierce trade into this category as well

Yeah, I don't think it's true that the team that gets the best player in the deal always wins.  You have to look at the balance of assets going either way. 

There are trades that go down all the time where one team trades a guy who is maybe a better individual player right now, but the other team gets at least one player who might eventually be better, or a pick or two that have a good shot of turning into a better player.

The KG trade back in '07 was pretty good for both teams, although the Celtics got the better player.  Minnesota was going nowhere with KG.

I'd say Seattle got pretty good value for Ray Allen back then, too.

Even the Grizzlies are probably pretty happy with how the Pau Gasol trade turned out for them.

The Blazers are certainly happy that they dumped Gerald Wallace, even though he was still a decent player at the time.  Damian Lillard is a star.

I'll bet the Cavaliers feel pretty good about trading Mo Williams for Baron Davis.  The player they got back was worse, at the time.  But that 1st turned into Kyrie Irving.

The jury is still out, but I think that in a season or two the Jazz will feel pretty good about trading Deron Williams for Derrick Favors. 

You can come up with examples to fit the narrative you prefer.

Typically when superstar players are traded, the team that gets the star is better off.  Usually when that happens, though, it's because the team trading the star doesn't expect to be able to keep the player long term anyhow.  So in that sense, getting something in return for the player is probably better than just letting them go for free.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Why are we shopping Rondo for mediocre players?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
The above being said about the Sac trade, still my preference for now would be keep Rondo and trade for Asik.

1. I'm intrigued by what Rondo and Stevens could do as player & coach

2. With Bradley and Rondo in the back court and Asik in the paint our defense could be off the charts - defense wins championships. 

I'd probably be willing to do a package of Bass, Lee and one first round pick this year and perhaps even one of our "own" future firsts - not one of Brooklyn's, to get Asik. I think our own future firsts will be only decent...

Asik / Faverani / Iverson (Cheap)
Sully / Olynyk /
Green / Wallace
Bradley / Bogans / Brooks
Rondo / Crawford / Pressey

I think that team could be very much in the a legit mix for ECF's, being more likely to upset Miami "this year" than Indiana.

Why? Green & Wallace can give LeBron a decent run and I'm pretty comfortable with Bradley hawking Wade into a bad series as well.

And I also think we'd absolutely hammer them in the paint.

With Asik in hand to deal with Hibbert -0 I also think we could give Indiana a run for their money - this year.

With that team we're not going to need a lot of draft picks - we'll need veteran pieces - so we could afford to give up a few of our nine picks over the next four years.

Asik is also nice to deal with Lopez, Hibbert & Howard, etc.

Moving forward, we'll need to do some work at the two guard - get a real shooter. Legit sized 3 & D guy behind Bradley and a solid back up for Jeff Green.   

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Was there ever a good explanation why McLemore slid to #7 in the draft last summer?

I remember the talking heads being really surprised that he was still on the board, but I never heard a great reason for it.

Also:
I think that team could be very much in the a legit mix for ECF's, being more likely to upset Miami "this year" than Indiana
I don't think so.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I remember when the rumor was that everything the Kings had was available except for Cousins, McLemore, and their 2014 pick.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2013, 02:08:18 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Normally I wouldn't buy into rumors so much this early, but one thing that has me believing it is that Sacramento's owners have already been very aggressive in trying to win now. They traded for gay and now if they add rondo they have three talented players all under 30.

I'd do the deal, getting Mclemore gives us a backup plan for AB leaving, and I think Mclemore could be a better player in 1-2 years. The picks are always nice too.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2013, 02:11:09 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Get Cousins in B-town instead of Rondo to sac-town. I don't like the idea of trading away Rondo. I would love a couple of years of Stevens + Rondo.

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
This, from Fafnir >

"This is the sort of trade that Danny would do for Rondo. Blue Chip prospect + draft picks + cap relief.

I haven't seen anything of Maclemore since his time in Kansas so I'm not sure how I feel about him. He can't be a bust if you make this move".

100% agree with this. "Only" if you felt McLemore was a future all star with a good head on his shoulders do you seriously consider this trade.

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2013, 02:15:51 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Historically,the Team that gets the BEST player in a trade, wins out...so, No to this deal. You don't trade your All-Star player for multiple mediocre players...Unless your All-Star wants out.

This has been talked about a lot here, but I think this is a fairly broken cliche at this point. Orlando and Denver won the Howard and Melo deals, respectively, both with packages of 'pieces', after their stars asked out and when they had less years on their deals than Rondo.

The Cs could certainly trade Rondo for a package of stuff and win -- especially in the long run -- as long as the package is sweet. And that's a pretty sweet package, assuming the picks are SAC's.

That said, that rumor hardly seems credible, though you can see why SAC would reach for a guy like Rajon.

A lot of people are already lumpimg the KG Pierce trade into this category as well

Yeah, I don't think it's true that the team that gets the best player in the deal always wins.  You have to look at the balance of assets going either way. 

There are trades that go down all the time where one team trades a guy who is maybe a better individual player right now, but the other team gets at least one player who might eventually be better, or a pick or two that have a good shot of turning into a better player.

The KG trade back in '07 was pretty good for both teams, although the Celtics got the better player.  Minnesota was going nowhere with KG.

I'd say Seattle got pretty good value for Ray Allen back then, too.

I don't think any asset that went out in either trade ever made an all-star team, and Al on Minny is th only player who went out who probably ever had an average or better season for Minny or Seattle. The fact that the hauls they got for players who still had multiple years as star level players is considered good value is an argument against most of the Rondo trade proposals.

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2013, 02:16:52 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
Matter of opinion, but I would be "very' comfortable going into a series against any team in the league with the following lineup

Asik / Faverani / Iverson (Cheap)
Sully / Olynyk /
Green / Wallace
Bradley / Bogans / Brooks
Rondo / Crawford / Pressey

It would be nice to add one more Vet off guard behind Bradley, another vet min PF for the playoffs, etc.

But assuming Rondo is running at full steam come playoffs - I'd be very comfortable with it.

I think it's a very physically and mentally tough starting unit with Rondo, Bradley, Sullinger and Asik and i also think Rondo is going to have a field day with Olynyk once he's back.

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2013, 02:18:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
Initially this seemed to me like a pretty good haul (though I don't know much about McLemore, or how good the picks would be), but then I started thinking that I'd heard somewhere that Danny would only trade Rondo if another established All-Star was coming to Boston in exchange. I'd be hesitant to trade Rondo without getting such a player in return.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Like Eddie Murphy in Trading Places this trade is saying

"I have no legs"

"I have no legs"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 02:25:46 PM by biggs »
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
This would be a brilliant move by the GM of the Sacramento Kings and it also makes sense as to "why" they would put such an aggressive package together for Rondo.

Think about it.

1. Sacram

I clipped your post so as not to fill up the page, but I wanted to catch your attention. I think you are on to something, ScoobyDoo, but there is a counter-argument to be made. It is built on the premise that Cousins and Gay are classic examples of high-volume team killers who look so good and so toolsy that, even in this age of analysis, GMs still can't resist.

Basically, if you believe as so many quantitative analysts do that Gay is purely a volume scorer and that Cousins is both a bad decision maker and an even worse defender, then you could only conclude that the upside for the Celtics on this trade is enormous.

If you judge Rudy Gay and Demarcus Cousins to be nothing more than Nick Young and Andray Blatche in disguise, as the numberZ folks seem to, then the team that the Kings are trying to build is modeled after the circa 2011-12 Washington Wizards, right down to Rondo in the role of John Wall.

If you buy that, then the Rondo-led Kings would be destined to stay in the cellar and to send Boston two lottery picks.

Our warchest would make the 2012 Rockets' look like a piggy bank, and by all accounts draft picks are growing in value these days.

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Why are we shopping Rondo for mediocre players?

One would hope we aren't.