Author Topic: The only Rondo trade i would do: Detroit/Drummond  (Read 13593 times)

The only Rondo trade i would do: Detroit/Drummond
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mzrvfpa

If Detroit called and was willing to do this, how could even the most hardcore Rondo fans turn it down?

We would now have a very dynamic and talented front court in Sullyond. That might be the best front court in the NBA in a few years. We still have a very good wing in Jeff Green, shooting guard in AB, and Crawford is a solid PG who is a better shooter than Rondo. He's even creating a [dang] good amount of points through assists right now.

This trade makes us better in the future and better right now, which is what is so cool about it.

For it to happen Detroit would have to HIGHLY covet Rondo and want to pair him with a PF J Smoove. Even more importantly they would have to decide that Monroe is worth moving forward with at the center position, is he good at the 5?

Re: The only Rondo trade i would do: Detroit/Drummond
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
seemed more reasonable last year.  At this point, there's no way Detroit would move Drummond.  He's the franchise. 

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2443
No way they move Drummond for anything other than LeBron, KD, George, or Anthony Davis
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i wanted us to trade Pierce for a pick to be used on Drummond prior to him even being drafted.

Now Drummond might end up the 4th youngest All-star in NBA history. Kid is a beast.  Rondo's trade value is nowhere in that ball park.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Maybe  Monroe no way we'd get Drummond...

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Man, we underrate Rondo around here a lot. 

A thread showed up couple days ago as well, asking who you'd trade away between Rondo and Crawford.  Unbelievable.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I brought this idea up 6 months ago and was told I was crazy by 75% of replies here.
I even said 'Detroit probably hangs up because Drummond is their future and he's 99% untouchable', yet the green glasses never cease to amaze me.
You'll still probably have 40-50% of CBers say 'no way Rondo is worth WAY more than that'.

You might get Monroe for Jeff Green+Crawford.
You'd get Monroe for Rondo, but you only want Monroe if you can keep Rondo so meh.

Anyway, ZERO chance Detroit gives you Drummond for anything we have.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I guess I'll be the first to say I wouldn't make that trade. Drummond is a beast and I want him but I'm not interested in moving Rondo for anything less than a top 3 pick in this draft or a top 10 player (not Spencer Hawes!). Rondo is a superstar. Drummond isn't...yet.

I would consider it if they took on Wallace's deal I guess.

This: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kvdu23y

That move gives us cap space, probably makes our pick a lotto pick (we could take a look at Marcus Smart as a replacement PG).

Rondo is a top 10-15 player and I'm not moving him unless we get a ridiculous offer. I think the only compelling reason to move Rondo is to get worse and land a high draft pick. Otherwise I think he means more to us than other teams.

You'll still probably have 40-50% of CBers say 'no way Rondo is worth WAY more than that'.

My argument isn't that he's worth more but instead that he's better than Drummond. Rondo is better than Drummond. When you make this trade you make it for potential because Drummond is tall, cheap and young. Those are valuable in the NBA but Rondo is a bigger star and has had more success. That much is undeniable.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 10:18:22 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I guess I'll be the first to say I wouldn't make that trade. Drummond is a beast and I want him but I'm not interested in moving Rondo for anything less than a top 3 pick in this draft or a top 10 player (not Spencer Hawes!). Rondo is a superstar. Drummond isn't...yet.

I would consider it if they took on Wallace's deal I guess.

This: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kvdu23y

That move gives us cap space, probably makes our pick a lotto pick (we could take a look at Marcus Smart as a replacement PG).

Rondo is a top 10-15 player and I'm not moving him unless we get a ridiculous offer. I think the only compelling reason to move Rondo is to get worse and land a high draft pick. Otherwise I think he means more to us than other teams.

My argument isn't that he's worth more but instead that he's better than Drummond. Rondo is better than Drummond. When you make this trade you make it for potential because Drummond is tall, cheap and young. Those are valuable in the NBA but Rondo is a bigger star and has had more success. That much is undeniable.

Exactly, I agree with pretty much everything you've said- only difference is I'd have no hesitation pulling the trigger. I based my idea on the potential of Drummond and the incentive of making our 2014 pick a top 5 pick- going after another impact guy.
Why do I pull the trigger immediately?
Rondo's  a season and a half away from free agency AND he's coming off a major injury.
Particularly now after this medicore/no man's land season, we aren't getting a decent lottery pick so I don't know what the plan is to put a championship piece next to Rondo.
I've suggested Carmelo. C's fans hate that idea and I dunno if NY even trades him anyway.

We don't have the draft pick to trade for a star, and we don't have the draft pick to draft a star lol.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 01:47:03 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Detriot would be insane to trade Drummond, whose a young athletic big for Rondo, a pass first point guard coming off major surgery.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 03:35:34 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
To insure a tank and get Drummond:

Jeff Green plus R. Rondo

Andre Drummond and fillers and picks

I think this is as good as what the lakers got for shaw if not way better. It Gives the Pistons an All star at every position.

Rondo
Jennings
Green
Josh Smith
Monroe

Dam thats a sick team

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 03:36:24 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
*SHAQ

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
It would depend on the number of future unprotected first round picks Detroit is willing to send us...

Seriously, Detroit won't trade Drummond, and we shouldn't trade Rondo if LeBron, Durant, George and maybe Chris Paul aren't coming go Beantown. Rondo is that good, and is a star. Drummond might be one very soon, but can he take over a playoff game? Rondo does.

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
Drummond is not the only player I would consider trading Rondo for but he certainly is one.

Rondo becomes a FA and one of three things is going to happen:

1.  We extend Rondo to a reasonable deal and he becomes a key part of the team for a long time.
2.  He signs elsewhere and we get nothing.
3.  We sign him but overpay, he regresses or stagnates and becomes a long term contract he cannot live up to.

Trading Rondo for some value is a hedge against 2 and 3.  Drummond would be fantastic value for Rondo but I am with the majority; Drummond has probably played himself out of ANY trade talk, much less trade for a talented but flawed and injured PG on a short contract.  Keep in mind that Detroit already has a talented (albeit less than pre-injury Rondo but pretty good) PG with flaws but on a pretty good (for the team) contract.

How about adding Jennings and Green to make it better for Detroit:

Jennings, Villanuava, Drummond

for

Rondo, Olynyk, Green

That is what it is going to take to get Drummond in my opinion.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 09:06:26 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Drummond is not the only player I would consider trading Rondo for but he certainly is one.

Rondo becomes a FA and one of three things is going to happen:

1.  We extend Rondo to a reasonable deal and he becomes a key part of the team for a long time.
2.  He signs elsewhere and we get nothing.
3.  We sign him but overpay, he regresses or stagnates and becomes a long term contract he cannot live up to.

Trading Rondo for some value is a hedge against 2 and 3.  Drummond would be fantastic value for Rondo but I am with the majority; Drummond has probably played himself out of ANY trade talk, much less trade for a talented but flawed and injured PG on a short contract.  Keep in mind that Detroit already has a talented (albeit less than pre-injury Rondo but pretty good) PG with flaws but on a pretty good (for the team) contract.

How about adding Jennings and Green to make it better for Detroit:

Jennings, Villanuava, Drummond

for

Rondo, Olynyk, Green

That is what it is going to take to get Drummond in my opinion.

I think most people here would probably do that deal. Green and Jennings kind of cancel each other out (and are needed by their new respective teams), so it is essentially becomes Rondo and Olynyk for Drummond. Obviously this is a deal that you have to think about, but you lock up your superstar big man while becoming worse this season.

I am a huge Rondo fan, though, and am not sure about this. The safer deal is the Green + filler for Monroe. In this deal you keep your all-star pg and acquire a likely all-star big man. Green is great, but Monroe makes more sense for this team moving forward.