Author Topic: The only Rondo trade i would do: Detroit/Drummond  (Read 13590 times)

Re: The only Rondo trade i would do: Detroit/Drummond
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd rather keep Rondo and get Monroe, than lose Rondo and get Drummond.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Do that in a heartbeat!!

RR in a great player, but Crawford is PLAYING great--no denying!  Will he keep it up? Fair question, but we know he is capable. As a matter of fact, IMO, he gives us almost  what we get from RR!  Both score about the same, but JC is the one I want with the ball and the clock running down--creates own offense better! Shooting of any kind, there's not even an argument--JC.  They BOTH tend to like to walk the ball up, and over dribble! Both really good passers, but RR a pass first guy, who really looks to bump his assist totals.  RR used to be a really good defender, but in recent years has slacked off, often resulting in matador D and trouble for our bigs.  Still very talented as far as steals, however! BS has recently boasted about how well JC's D has been, but he's not stellar. On a team that has been abysmal rebounding for several years, RR has gotten a ton, but our team this year is much different, as Sully, Bass, Hump, and V have given us a great boost, so RR's rbdg may go down quite a bit. JC is average there!
All in all, nothing there to just make you go, "Wow, their abilities are not even close!".  RR value as a trade commodity is much greater, however!  So I say move RR, especially to get someone like Drummond!

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah . . .  good luck with that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 10:25:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
I don't think we have any combination of players that will get us Drummond.  Dumars isn't great, but he's not that dumb.  Drummond is just not on the table, period.

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 10:29:40 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Does anyone else find it hilarious that Rondo gets bashed for his free throw shooting and then someone proposes to trade him for a guy who is struggling to shoot better than 40% on free throws?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 10:30:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Does anyone else find it hilarious that Rondo gets bashed for his free throw shooting and then someone proposes to trade him for a guy who is struggling to shoot better than 40% on free throws?

It's considerably different when the guy struggling to shoot free throws is a center.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 10:59:44 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's considerably different when the guy struggling to shoot free throws is a center.

Well, I also wonder if people who cite FT% in arguing against acquiring Asik don't realize that Asik is a significantly better FT shooter than Drummond.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 11:22:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Well, I also wonder if people who cite FT% in arguing against acquiring Asik don't realize that Asik is a significantly better FT shooter than Drummond.

I imagine it's the fact that as a 1st / 2nd year player Drummond has been a 13-13 player with a FG% around 60%.

Drummond is on the Dwight Howard track so far in his career.  Asik is closer to what Kendrick Perkins was prior to his knee injury.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:27:02 PM by PhoSita »
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I imagine it's the fact that as a rookie Drummond is a 13-13 player with a FG% around 60%.

Drummond is on the Dwight Howard track so far in his career.  Asik is closer to what Kendrick Perkins was prior to his knee injury.

Drummond isn't a rookie. A Dwight Howard track would be perennial DPOY candidate. Is Drummond on that level?

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1800
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I imagine it's the fact that as a rookie Drummond is a 13-13 player with a FG% around 60%.

Drummond isn't a rookie. A Dwight Howard track would be perennial DPOY candidate. Is Drummond on that level?

I definitely think he will be one of the top defensive big men in the game in the next couple of years (probably needs to increase his bpg a little). Unfortunately for him, though, Anthony Davis is pretty much going to get a hold on that award and never let go.

Drummond is so so so much better than Asik. Acquiring Asik wold be a mistake and a very short-sighted move. Acquiring a guy like Drummond (or especially Monroe since it should cost a lot less) is move that shows we are looking toward the future.

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Drummond is in his second year and is only 20. He's averaging 13.5 ppg, 12.7 ppg, 1.4 bpg, 62.9 FG % in 32.5 mpg.

At the same age, Howard averaged 15.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 53 FG % in 36.8 mpg.

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Yeah, I mispoke -- I meant that he's a second year player.  Although he was producing at a similar level last year as a rookie.

And yes, I think Drummond could become a perennial DPOY candidate and put up 16-18 pts and 13-14 rebounds a game.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 01:20:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Drummond is in his second year and is only 20. He's averaging 13.5 ppg, 12.7 ppg, 1.4 bpg, 62.9 FG % in 32.5 mpg.

At the same age, Howard averaged 15.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 53 FG % in 36.8 mpg.

I realize that. But Howard's value is much more on the defensive (and rebounding of course) end than on offense. Another comparison would be Shaq, who at the same age (as a rookie) averaged 23/14. Drummond's rebounding numbers are great, but I don't think he's the best offensive player. If he's going to be great then he probably needs to get better on offense or be dominant on defense.

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
No to Monroe ...yes to Drummond as a Celtic.........I doubt Rondo is  traded for either......but could be wrong..LoL

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3037
I'm not saying we should do it, but if you want trade for Drummond you'd have to convince Detroit that you were overhauling their entire franchise, i.e. take back the Smith contract for Humphries and throw in multiple 1st rounders.