Author Topic: The only Rondo trade i would do: Detroit/Drummond  (Read 13592 times)

Re: The only Rondo trade i would do: Detroit/Drummond
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Does anyone else find it hilarious that Rondo gets bashed for his free throw shooting and then someone proposes to trade him for a guy who is struggling to shoot better than 40% on free throws?

It's considerably different when the guy struggling to shoot free throws is a center.

Well, I also wonder if people who cite FT% in arguing against acquiring Asik don't realize that Asik is a significantly better FT shooter than Drummond.

I imagine it's the fact that as a rookie Drummond is a 13-13 player with a FG% around 60%.

Drummond is on the Dwight Howard track so far in his career.  Asik is closer to what Kendrick Perkins was prior to his knee injury.

Drummond isn't a rookie. A Dwight Howard track would be perennial DPOY candidate. Is Drummond on that level?

Drummond is in his second year and is only 20. He's averaging 13.5 ppg, 12.7 ppg, 1.4 bpg, 62.9 FG % in 32.5 mpg.

At the same age, Howard averaged 15.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 53 FG % in 36.8 mpg.

I realize that. But Howard's value is much more on the defensive (and rebounding of course) end than on offense. Another comparison would be Shaq, who at the same age (as a rookie) averaged 23/14. Drummond's rebounding numbers are great, but I don't think he's the best offensive player. If he's going to be great then he probably needs to get better on offense or be dominant on defense.

I think he's pretty dominant defensively right now. But again, he's only 20 and is only going to get better. What he projects to be in a few years is scary. However, Detroit isn't trading him, especially not for Rondo. Drummond is one of the most untouchable players in the league due to his contract and immense potential.

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Does anyone else find it hilarious that Rondo gets bashed for his free throw shooting and then someone proposes to trade him for a guy who is struggling to shoot better than 40% on free throws?

It's considerably different when the guy struggling to shoot free throws is a center.

Well, I also wonder if people who cite FT% in arguing against acquiring Asik don't realize that Asik is a significantly better FT shooter than Drummond.

I imagine it's the fact that as a rookie Drummond is a 13-13 player with a FG% around 60%.

Drummond is on the Dwight Howard track so far in his career.  Asik is closer to what Kendrick Perkins was prior to his knee injury.

Drummond isn't a rookie. A Dwight Howard track would be perennial DPOY candidate. Is Drummond on that level?

Drummond is in his second year and is only 20. He's averaging 13.5 ppg, 12.7 ppg, 1.4 bpg, 62.9 FG % in 32.5 mpg.

At the same age, Howard averaged 15.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 53 FG % in 36.8 mpg.

I realize that. But Howard's value is much more on the defensive (and rebounding of course) end than on offense. Another comparison would be Shaq, who at the same age (as a rookie) averaged 23/14. Drummond's rebounding numbers are great, but I don't think he's the best offensive player. If he's going to be great then he probably needs to get better on offense or be dominant on defense.

I think he's pretty dominant defensively right now. But again, he's only 20 and is only going to get better. What he projects to be in a few years is scary. However, Detroit isn't trading him, especially not for Rondo. Drummond is one of the most untouchable players in the league due to his contract and immense potential.

I'm watching the Celts vs Det right now and Drummond doesn't look like the player everyone's telling me about. Maybe he's injured or something. He's nothing but an afterthought on offense. He played 8 minutes in the first quarter and I'm not sure they went to him a single time in their half court offense. You rarely see that with a true franchise player.

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 08:18:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I'm watching the Celts vs Det right now and Drummond doesn't look like the player everyone's telling me about. Maybe he's injured or something. He's nothing but an afterthought on offense. He played 8 minutes in the first quarter and I'm not sure they went to him a single time in their half court offense. You rarely see that with a true franchise player.
Oh Ok.  Tim has watched Drummond play for 8 minutes and isn't impressed.  It's settled then.   Rondo for Drummond.

Beast of a human who is averaging 13 points, 13 rebounds, 1.4 blocks, 1.7 steals 62% shooting... and he just turned 20 years old.  But he didn't pass the 8 minute Tim sniff-test so he's obviously over-hyped. 

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 08:34:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Oh Ok.  Tim has watched Drummond play for 8 minutes and isn't impressed.  It's settled then.   Rondo for Drummond.

Just thought I'd try your method for once. That's what I'd guess is the reason for the somewhat wild swings in your opinions of teams/players.

In any case, yes, I was watching Drummond a little more closely than usual due to this thread. It somewhat confirms what I was expecting based on seeing him before. If you look at my earlier comments in this thread they're of the same vein.

But, since you're obviously an expert on Drummond, what's the story? He's playing against a short(ish) power forward, and they're not even looking for him on offense. Why is that? You're acting like I watched him miss his first 8 shots and formed an opinion based on that. I'm watching his team basically ignore him on offense. Why aren't they looking for him at all? Is this what you usually see when you've studied him, or is there some sort of problem tonight?

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Just thought I'd try your method for once. That's what I'd guess is the reason for the somewhat wild swings in your opinions of teams/players.

In any case, yes, I was watching Drummond a little more closely than usual due to this thread. It somewhat confirms what I was expecting based on seeing him before. If you look at my earlier comments in this thread they're of the same vein.

But, since you're obviously an expert on Drummond, what's the story? He's playing against a short(ish) power forward, and they're not even looking for him on offense. Why is that? You're acting like I watched him miss his first 8 shots and formed an opinion based on that. I'm watching his team basically ignore him on offense. Why aren't they looking for him at all? Is this what you usually see when you've studied him, or is there some sort of problem tonight?

Better check the box score again. 12-11 (6 off) 2 bs
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

He's the future of the team.  If you can't see it, you're blind.  This is an irrelevant conversation... there is no way Detroit would give up 20 year old Drummond for Rondo. 

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

He's the future of the team.  If you can't see it, you're blind.  This is an irrelevant conversation... there is no way Detroit would give up 20 year old Drummond for Rondo.

The debate was doomed from the start. Don't you know Tim loses all objectivity as it relates to Rondo?

I wish there was a GM who shared Tim's infatuation. Can you imagine the return we would get with that larceny?

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The debate was doomed from the start. Don't you know Tim loses all objectivity as it relates to Rondo?

I wish there was a GM who shared Tim's infatuation. Can you imagine the return we would get with that larceny?
I like Tim.  I'm pretty sure he's just a social media intern employed by the Celtics to increase the public perception of Rondo's trade value.

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Hilarious. Yes, he's a big part of Detroit's future. You might be right about whether they'd trade him for Rondo. But after your comment about my "8 minute analysis" of Drummond you don't seem to disagree with it (assuming you even have an opinion one way or the other).

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Tough for you to comprehend, I know, but I'm talking about Drummond. I'd guess that "Tim's infatuated with Rondo" is your best argument for anything that goes beyond comparing stats or box scores of players since you use it so often. Why don't you just take the time to point out what was wrong with my post?

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I like Tim.  I'm pretty sure he's just a social media intern employed by the Celtics to increase the public perception of Rondo's trade value.

I've got to be honest, when I read most of your posts the first thing that pops into my head is that you've had too much sugar again.

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Better check the box score again. 12-11 (6 off) 2 bs

What do you think in the box score contradicts what I said? Where do you think it says that he's a big part of their half court offense in those numbers? He seems to get points off of tip-ins, put-backs and in transition, other than that he doesn't seem to play much of a role in their offense. You have to watch the games to figure things like that out, not check box scores.

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Tough for you to comprehend, I know, but I'm talking about Drummond. I'd guess that "Tim's infatuated with Rondo" is your best argument for anything that goes beyond comparing stats or box scores of players since you use it so often. Why don't you just take the time to point out what was wrong with my post?

Tim, your posts are foolish and I actually shouldn't entertain this since you lose credibility with each passing one. I'll just say this, we were talking about how Drummond compares to Howard favorably at the same age. You brought up Shaq at 20. Now don't you think that even comparing Drummond to Howard and Shaq at the same age is a pretty clear indication of where his value stands and the vast potential he has?

Again, it's okay to admit it Drummond has greater value than Rondo. Seriously, why the resistance?

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 11:25:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Tim i wanted to post this in response to you:

But i'm not going to do that...

To answer your "question":  "I'm watching the Celts vs Det right now and Drummond doesn't look like the player everyone's telling me about. Maybe he's injured or something."

....  Tonight he pretty much proved he's EXACTLY the player everyone's been telling you about.  14 points, 16 rebounds, 2 blocks on 7-11 shooting.  He's 20 years old.  They peg Drummond as someone who will end up being a bigger Amare/Kemp, but also dominant defensively.  Amare averaged 13 points at the same age. Kemp averaged 6 points.  Drummond is well on his way to being a franchise big man.  Right now he's not a big part of their offense beyond just doing freak of nature stuff.  That in no way disproves his current standing in the league.   I'm not sure what you expect.  Fact is, few players in this league hold the trade value Andre Drummond has right now.  There is absolutely no way the Pistons would trade a dominant big man prospect for a PG in a league littered with quality PGs.   This argument is ridiculous. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:33:38 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 12:04:27 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
To answer your "question":  "I'm watching the Celts vs Det right now and Drummond doesn't look like the player everyone's telling me about. Maybe he's injured or something."

No, that's a comment. My question was:

"I'm watching his team basically ignore him on offense. Why aren't they looking for him at all? Is this what you usually see when you've studied him, or is there some sort of problem tonight?"

....  Tonight he pretty much proved he's EXACTLY the player everyone's been telling you about.  14 points, 16 rebounds, 2 blocks on 7-11 shooting.  He's 20 years old.  They peg Drummond as someone who will end up being a bigger Amare/Kemp, but also dominant defensively.  Amare averaged 13 points at the same age. Kemp averaged 6 points.  Drummond is well on his way to being a franchise big man.  Right now he's not a big part of their offense beyond just doing freak of nature stuff.  That in no way disproves his current standing in the league.

I can buy Kemp. If you think he looks like he'll be a bigger Amare I'd have to assume that you never saw him play before his (severe) knee injury. Go find some 2005 highlights of Amare averaging 37 ppg  in the playoffs against the Spurs (best defense in the league that year) and tell me you expect that from Drummond.

I'm not sure what you expect.  Fact is, few players in this league hold the trade value Andre Drummond has right now.  There is absolutely no way the Pistons would trade a dominant big man prospect for a PG in a league littered with quality PGs.   This argument is ridiculous.

It would be if I was making that argument. All I've been talking about is how good Drummond is (or will be).