Poll

What are you're thoughts on the Boston/KG trade?

Not a fan.  Would rather have seen one more season with PP, KG, and Co.
15 (21.1%)
Not a fan.  Would rather we trade PP and KG in other deals this off-season.
14 (19.7%)
Boo-Yah!  Celtics get a haul for two eldery players.  Thumbs up DA!
29 (40.8%)
Not sure yet. . .
13 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: July 05, 2013, 01:40:55 AM

Author Topic: Bos/NJ trade: What say you?  (Read 8149 times)

Re: Bos/NJ trade: What say you?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »

Offline Funky D.

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I wrote a Fanpost detailing the merits I saw in the trade (here: http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/6/28/4473528/in-defense-of-the-brooklyn-boston-trade), so if you want to read a longer analysis, you can check that out. But here's the summary:

1. The Celtics get younger.
We get a lot of younger players in exchange for three veterans who are seriously on the decline. With all those draft picks and ex-Nets players, the Cs' can expect to make more moves to improve.

Cold as it may sound, I'd also rather give KG and Pierce away in exchange for something instead of letting them retire with nothing but fond memories replacing them.

2. KG & Pierce deserve it.
Brooklyn offers the duo a better chance at repeating in the next couple of years. Personally, I'd rather see them retire as champions than waste their years and talent away on a rebuilding Celtics team.

The best part is they'll still be doing their ring-hunting together. If they're going to retire after this one season, then they're going to be right with each other.

3. Rondo takes this chance to step up and become a leader.
Next season, Rondo becomes the only member left from the '08 championship squad. No Doc Rivers around either. This is a huge gamble on our PG, since he can take this opportunity to either rise to the challenge or run away from it.

So either he becomes a genuine leader once he's left on his own, or he continues his immature antics, now that all his role models have left the locker room.

4. Boston takes this chance to rebuild.
With the trade, the Celtics get younger. Younger teams have no other way to go but up (unless you're Charlotte or Toronto, haha). This trade was meant to benefit us in the long run, not like Brooklyn, who want to solve their ringless problem quickly.

Another upside with the veterans' absence is that the young guys can now really rebuild and re-create an identity of their own. Boston can now reinvent itself without having the old guys' influence holding them back.

5. We get rid of Jason Terry.
Come on now, do I really have to elaborate on this one?

All in all, I'm a fan of the trade. The only negative things I see here are that: 1) sentimentally speaking, it really is too hard to see them go; and 2) maybe Danny could have waited for better offers.

But if we want to win, rebuilding's the way to go. We barely breezed through the playoffs, even with Pierce and Garnett on the roster. But because we didn't have Rondo and lot of the young guys, the Knicks took care of us in six. What happens then if we keep the same core this time? Will we even make the playoffs if we did?

Another thing is nobody else was crazy enough to give us this many assets in exchange for two coveted veterans and Jason Terry. Had Danny waited for better offers, Brooklyn's offer might have expired, leaving us with nothing again.

All I'm saying is, give the trade a chance. For all we know, the young guys could develop into something fierce over the next few years, while Brooklyn won't be happy for very long. Let the Nets have their fun first. We'll see who'll have the advantage once our new-look team is ready.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 09:04:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I've seen several people mention in different threads that the C's get the right to swap picks in 2017 as well as the rest of the package.  I haven't seen it posted anywhere by a news source.  Does someone have a source where this can be verified?

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 756
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I say:

1. This is going to be a bad basketball team. They have no outside shooting and absolutely no size. There is now a glut of chuckers in Brooks, Bogans and Crawford...somebody needs to go

2. Rondo is next. Can't see him being kept around to play with a team set up to lose

3. The players they get from the nets are all garbage. Stiffs. Not one guy Boston is getting is worth the money they are being paid. They are marginal turds that add zero. The sooner they move them...the better off the team will be..

Gerald Wallace----COOKED..have to watch him hobble around this season and miss every shot he takes. He will miss with an injury...that is a given
Humphries is a soft you know what. Get his butt traded before he puts on the uniform
Bogans? Are you serious? the guy IS the king of the scrap and crap heap. His 4.2 points and 38 percent FG percentage... quite impressive
Joseph--a guy they cut..will get cut again

4. They need to move humphries and bogans ASAP. Picks, young guys, something

5. 30 wins with rondo...under without him.

6. Getting stuck with a cooked Gerald Wallace is a crime. Horrible contract. Beat down. Here for 3 years. I hate him.

7. 2013-14 season doesn't even count. Team is designed to lose. They have ZERO leadership and will have a young coach on the cheap. Who is going to score for this team night in and out?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:15:33 AM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I say:

1. This is going to be a bad basketball team. They have no outside shooting and absolutely no size. There is now a glut of chuckers at shooting guard that stink

2. Rondo is next. Can't see him being kept around to play with a team set up to lose

3. The players they get from the nets are all garbage. Stiffs. Not one guy Boston is getting is worth the money they are being paid. They are marginal turds that add zero. The sooner they move them...the better off the team will be

4. The need to move humphries and bogans ASAP. Picks, young guys, something

6. Getting stuck with a cooked Gerald Wallace is a crime. Horrible contract. Beat down. Here for 3 years. I hate him.

7. 2013-14 season doesn't even count. Team is designed to lose. They have ZERO leadership and will have a young coach on the cheap. Who is going to score for this team night in and out?

thanks for laying all this out  Danny is doing a great job
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I say:

1. This is going to be a bad basketball team. They have no outside shooting and absolutely no size. There is now a glut of chuckers at shooting guard that stink

3. The players they get from the nets are all garbage. Stiffs. Not one guy Boston is getting is worth the money they are being paid. They are marginal turds that add zero. The sooner they move them...the better off the team will be

If his objective is to tank..then you are correct. You better pray the picks end up being high or the rebuild takes on a long term.

I bet you think this team will be a joy to watch and can't wait to see them in action.

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 09:20:04 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
it hurts but only time will tell if this trade will really help us in the long run...it is 3 first round draft picks...

maybe another 2007 miracle will happen where he trades draft picks and players for a star...who knows

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I say:

If his objective is to tank..then you are correct. You better pray the picks end up being high or the rebuild takes on a long term.

I bet you think this team will be a joy to watch and can't wait to see them in action.

Yes the objective is to tank.  And no I don't think this team will be a joy to watch, but it had to be done at some point.  Id rather face the problem than continue to kick the can down the road. 

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think Boston got good value in the trade.
I get why the trade was done.
Cs had a 3 year window to win a championship, they extended it to 5. We got one championship out of it, and came close to a second. It was a fun run.
Now it is time to rebuild.

It is hard to say how long the rebuild will take. DA now has a lot of assets, and the rebuild could be quick if he trades some of them now, or slow. It won't be so much a choice on his part, more a question of what types of opportunities present themselves.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:07 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I say:

Yes the objective is to tank.  And no I don't think this team will be a joy to watch, but it had to be done at some point.  Id rather face the problem than continue to kick the can down the road.

It had to be done..but taking back Wallace's contract is a mystery....you can dump kardashian and the other stiffs..but wallace is going to be here for 3 long painful years

I just can't stomach watching those guys sent to boston from the nets. Makes me ill. Esp if they end up moving Rondo

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I say:

The Lakers are a much better organization than us. There I said it. We are clearly #2 in the pantheon of the franchises in the NBA and maybe further down. Our fan base accepts long term losing like Laker fans accept titles. One bad year...fine it happens. But people on here that are cool with 5-7 years with a rebuild? Come on! Do you think Laker fans would be happy with that? Don't give me this weather crap either the game is played in doors and these guys have homes in places like Malibu or Miami anyways. I'm a Celtics fan for life and I'm not thrilled that I have to listen to half of these "fans" who want to tank but never saw the M.L. Carr or Pitino era

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hate taking on the Wallace contract and there is no guarantee that any of these draft picks will turn into gold considering where I expect Brooklyn to be in the near future,

The thing that really kills me, though, is the fact that Paul Pierce will not spend his entire career in green and will be wearing a Nets jersey in the fall.  Sickens me.  Wanted him to be a career Celtic in the worst way.

This trade is like a C/C- in my book.  Of course, it'll end up re-evaluated multiple times down the road, 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 09:35:44 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I say:

It had to be done..but taking back Wallace's contract is a mystery....you can dump kardashian and the other stiffs..but wallace is going to be here for 3 long painful years

I just can't stomach watching those guys sent to boston from the nets. Makes me ill. Esp if they end up moving Rondo

Ainge had to find a team that would take on Pierce and KG so that KG would waive his NTC.  The list of teams that want and can take on two players like that are very small.  This very well could have been the only deal available for ainge.

Ken Berger put it well. "Who else could afford to dump 3 first round picks and take a 150 million dollar gamble on a trio of players that is a combined 107 years old"

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 09:40:06 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This is what separates Danny Ainge from other GM's.( And our owners/organization for that matter)

Danny's not afraid to gamble. He's also not interested in mediocrity. You're suggesting he should have elaborated on a Cavs deal that KG nor Pierce would agree to.
Why would they go there or waive a no trade clause to play in Ohio with a 6th/7th seed?

Next, Why do we want a one legged Verajao out there with Green and Rondo? You then suggest Al Jeff or Josh Smith and say that this is a few pieces away from a contender.
Who is the star on that team? What team are Rondo and Jefferson and Green taking past the 2nd round against the Bulls, Miami and Pacers? Let alone the Grizzlies, OKC etc in the West?
I'm not mocking you, but the irony is you think we didn't get salary cap relief with these KG/Pierce trades, yet you're willing to spend our cap on Josh Smith or Al Jeff and Verajao.  Then there's somehow more money left over for us to add 'championship pieces'.
That team is handicapped salary wise for 4-5 years and doesn't get out of the 2nd round unless Derrick Rose or Lebron go down for a full season.

We take back Wallace because the money must be spent somewhere. He sucks. His contract sucks. That's the point. He ain't helping us win games but his contract helps us stay close to the minimum salary cap threshold.

This isn't a one year program. It's at least a 2 year journey. It probably means Rondo is gone too- Danny is probably just waiting for the right offer. And really, he can wait because Rondo's got 2 years of offers coming our way before we do anything. If he pouts and acts out, that's great because it means we suck even more. If he plays well, his trade value goes up and we most likely get another top 10 pick in 2014.

Why are people whining about Gerald Wallace's deal. Danny knows he sucks. This is called a rebuild. He's the PERFECT candidate for a salary stuffer.
Hell if we move Rondo in February for another lotto pick hopefully we'll put a 5 out there of:

*rookie pg
*Bradley
*Green
*Sully
*Olnyk

with Melo, Lee and Jordan Crawford off the bench.
We'll suck so bad but we'll also have a great shot at Wiggins or Parker. If we miss out on them, there are another 5-8 possible All Stars in that draft. One of them and all the assets Danny will have collected gives us the ability to make another monster trade when some game changing free agents are available.
Josh Smith, Al Jeff, Verajao- all great players, but they command too much money and aren't leading us to banner 18.

This is why Danny is the best. He shoots for the moon but always has a backup plan incase we get unlucky in the draft.
He also doesn't care about filling seats. He cares about championships. I think this time he's going to try and build a championship team from the ground up and he's basically waiting for the best offer for Rondo.

The only other option is that he sits Rondo most of next year, lets the youngins tank, prays for Wiggins/Parker, then brings back Rondo with Green, Wiggins, Rondo and a max player while we wait for Wallace to expire.
We'll have enough assets in young players and picks that every team will talk to us.

This is why Ainge is GM and we are not.
All he cares about is championships because that's what the Celtics are about.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I've seen several people mention in different threads that the C's get the right to swap picks in 2017 as well as the rest of the package.  I haven't seen it posted anywhere by a news source.  Does someone have a source where this can be verified?

Woj on Twitter was the first place I saw it reported.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
added thought
wallace might be overpaid but put him on the fast break (as a sub) with rondo and he'll look a lot different than with the nets
if he is still around mind you   ;)