Poll

What are you're thoughts on the Boston/KG trade?

Not a fan.  Would rather have seen one more season with PP, KG, and Co.
15 (21.1%)
Not a fan.  Would rather we trade PP and KG in other deals this off-season.
14 (19.7%)
Boo-Yah!  Celtics get a haul for two eldery players.  Thumbs up DA!
29 (40.8%)
Not sure yet. . .
13 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: July 05, 2013, 01:40:55 AM

Author Topic: Bos/NJ trade: What say you?  (Read 8150 times)

Re: Bos/NJ trade: What say you?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 03:21:11 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

1 pick can be swapped in 2014 or 2015, not both.

Dominant with JSmooth, Rondo, Green, Al Jeff? None of those players are dominant and have never taken their respective teams anywhere. Rondo has with help from 3 hall of famers. Not sure about your team thoughts because, we would be a mediocre team for a longer time and go nowhere but down again.

Yeah my bad, I thought for some reason it was two picks but upon further research you're right.

I agree that J-Smoove isn't an all star level player and I don't think that team will be dominant immediately. However, I do think that a Rondo - Bradley - Green - Big Al - Varejao lineup with Sully and a bunch of 1st Rounders coming of the bench is a top 3/4 seed and only a few pieces away from a Championship. I mainly like that scenario better since we would be competitive much sooner, before Rondo and Green hit thirty, which I don't think is possible now.
i think it is called medicore

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 03:30:17 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
well its keeps kg/pp together
kg had to ok deal and the idea of them staying together and being a contender is probably big for them
i like that danny put them somewhere that they should have a chance to win (not sold on williams though)
i don't think danny is done, we have too many pf on roster now
is g wallace a backup to green at sf?

it will be hard to see pierce and even garnett in a different uniform 
 :'(

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 03:33:27 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
It's a good beginning. Not a brilliant deal but sound business one. We'll get worse before better. Brooklyn will cheer but not for long.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 03:36:39 AM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'm depressed and saddened about the trade. It wasn't a steal, a slam dunk, it was 50 cents on the dollar, by a Celtics fan's estimation. I'm going to miss Doc, a little, Paul and KG a lot...I'm even going to miss Terry who I never really invested in emotionally. But I couldn't vote it a bad trade, because NO trade where Paul and KG left was going to be one I *liked* and I'm too emotional right now to judge it fairly.

It *feels* terrible, but it...or something a lot like it...had to be done.

Sigh!  Okay silver lining time...

I'm glad Reggie Evans is a Celtic. He's from my home town, in town tonight for a big dinner in fact. I've wanted him on the Celtics for years. No he's not a star, but he's a good rebounder, a veteran who plays hard and the right way. He'll be good to have on a very young team.

Wallace has a bad contract, but he's only 30, maybe he'll have an Indian Summer to his career. If he shows signs of a bounce back maybe DA will be able to move that big contract somewhere else sooner rather than later. If not, you've got to have that big contract to make salaries match, so there's always that.

Did I see that Bogans was coming in? He'll be a perfectly fine bench sitter, or trade throw in at some point.

Humphries, I've never cared for, but his contract is expiring and he'll probably be moved along for other assets next spring.

And 3 picks. 2014 won't be anything to jump for joy over, but  16 and 18 could be better than you think. I fully expect the Nets to implode.

Sure, I'd have loved better deals for the C's, but I think I'll just say that a better deal was not going to be found and let it go.  Okay now, I feel better. 

Oh, but to answer the original question. I can't call this a Boo Ya! trade either. So, I voted, I don't know yet.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 03:39:08 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Shots at lottery picks for three straight years if Brooklyn falters (and given the expiration dates on Pierce KG and JJ, and the recent truggles of the Nets with just Deron and Brook, not all that unrealistic) + an extra mid to late first next year...  Wallace's contract is a bitter pill but that's a better deal than it initially appeared.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think what a LOT of people are forgetting is that KG has an NTC.  There's no way he would approve a trade to a noncontender.

By packaging KG and Paul together, Danny pretty much guarantees whichever team gets them is a contender.  I mean look at the Nets lineup now and it is an all-star crew:

PG D. Williams
SG Joe Johnson
SF Paul Pierce
PF KG
C Brook Lopez

That's a pretty scary starting five.  Deeper than a LOT of teams in the NBA in terms of starting talent.  I think KG saw what the result of the trade would be and that was key to him waiving his NTC.

The trade was not about the talent that we received, which is obviously a lot less, but moving on in a way that satisfied both Pierce and KG while adding/stockpiling some talent/chips for the future.

I made an account just to get my opinions out.

I really hate this deal, not because I don't think we should blow it up, but because this deal is the wrong deal to start our rebuild. We are literally getting cents on the dollar.

In any rebuild you look to add three assets: cap space, picks, and young potential stars.

The nets deal barely gives us a cap space. Sure we get Humphries' expiring and rid ourselves of Terry, but by taking on Wallace's contract, we pretty much negate the flexibility this offers us. In fact, we would have had more cap space had we simply let Pierce and KG retire after a year here.

Everyone is highlighting the three picks, but keep in mind that the Nets will be good for the next few years and that the Hawks can swap for the 2014 pick, virtually guaranteeing that they will be in the 20-30 range. Historically, picks in that range have like a 30% chance of being more than a role player in the nba. Hence, those picks will probably net us not much more than one, maybe two, good bench players.

Finally, the biggest reason that I hate this trade: it ignores the talent we already have on our roster. Rondo and Green are 27 and 26 respectively, but this deal means that we won't be playoff caliber (unless we land wiggins) for 4-5 years at best. By this time, both Rondo and Green will be old and deteriorating. Many analysts are already predicting a Rondo trade in the near future. In my opinion, this is a total waste of all star caliber talent.

What Danny should have done is expand upon the widely reported offer of Pierce for a trade exception and # 31 and #33 to include Garnett for Varejao and a 1st. Using the trade exception, Danny could have easily facilitated a sign and trade for Al Jefferson or Josh Smith (many rumors had indicated this as a strong possibility). That would give us the lineup of Rondo/Bradley/Green/(Smith or Jefferson)/Varejao with multiple picks to build a really good bench. I don't think thats a championship team yet, but its just a piece or two away from being dominant, which is a much better situation than what we're currently in.

Still, I love KG and Pierce, and am happy that they are playing for a real contender.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 07:15:41 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The sentimental part of me is I'm sad to see them go, but I think they got good value.   All 3 picks we get in the future could be lottery picks, and I believe we have the right to swap the 2017 pick with the Nets. 

I think Ainge has flexibility to go in a couple different directions. 

He can either;

A) Flip expiring deals, young players, draft picks for someone like Smith, Jefferson, maybe even Aldridge. 

B) If he doesn't see the team being good enough with option A he can then trade Green, Rondo for future draft picks and/or younger players.  Within a year or 2 when Lee, Bass, Wallace deals become more attractive as near expiring deals he can sell them off too.   All 3 players could have bounce back years making them attractive as well. 

Option A obviously could provide a much quicker process to being good again, and we would still have some assets leftover.   Option B would take much longer obviously but could be better for down the road.

All I know is Ainge has alot of flexibility now, we are in much better position than when he took over 10 years ago, and it will be a very interesting rest of summer to see what he has in mind. 

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 07:38:39 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
The sentimental part of me is I'm sad to see them go, but I think they got good value.   All 3 picks we get in the future could be lottery picks, and I believe we have the right to swap the 2017 pick with the Nets. 

I think Ainge has flexibility to go in a couple different directions. 

He can either;

A) Flip expiring deals, young players, draft picks for someone like Smith, Jefferson, maybe even Aldridge. 

B) If he doesn't see the team being good enough with option A he can then trade Green, Rondo for future draft picks and/or younger players.  Within a year or 2 when Lee, Bass, Wallace deals become more attractive as near expiring deals he can sell them off too.   All 3 players could have bounce back years making them attractive as well. 

Option A obviously could provide a much quicker process to being good again, and we would still have some assets leftover.   Option B would take much longer obviously but could be better for down the road.

All I know is Ainge has alot of flexibility now, we are in much better position than when he took over 10 years ago, and it will be a very interesting rest of summer to see what he has in mind.

I disagree. With Crash we are pretty much even. Think of him as out Vin Baker or Mark Blount. This trade is horrible. Hopefully Brooklyn sucks hard enough after next season so the Celtics can actually get some redeeming quality out if it. KG and Pierce are two guys who will never again wear a celtics uniform. The vast majority doesn't care about them. All they care about is the age of ea

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I made an account just to get my opinions out.

I really hate this deal, not because I don't think we should blow it up, but because this deal is the wrong deal to start our rebuild. We are literally getting cents on the dollar.

In any rebuild you look to add three assets: cap space, picks, and young potential stars.

The nets deal barely gives us a cap space. Sure we get Humphries' expiring and rid ourselves of Terry, but by taking on Wallace's contract, we pretty much negate the flexibility this offers us. In fact, we would have had more cap space had we simply let Pierce and KG retire after a year here.

Everyone is highlighting the three picks, but keep in mind that the Hawks can swap for two of those picks, virtually guaranteeing that they will be in the 20-30 range. Historically, picks in that range have like a 30% chance of being more than a role player in the nba. Hence, those picks will probably net us not much more than one, maybe two, good bench players.

Finally, the biggest reason that I hate this trade: it ignores the talent we already have on our roster. Rondo and Green are 27 and 26 respectively, but this deal means that we won't be playoff caliber (unless we land wiggins) for 4-5 years at best. By this time, both Rondo and Green will be old and deteriorating. Many analysts are already predicting a Rondo trade in the near future. In my opinion, this is a total waste of all star caliber talent.

What Danny should have done is expand upon the widely reported offer of Pierce for a trade exception and # 31 and #33 to include Garnett for Varejao and a 1st. Using the trade exception, Danny could have easily facilitated a sign and trade for Al Jefferson or Josh Smith (many rumors had indicated this as a strong possibility). That would give us the lineup of Rondo/Bradley/Green/(Smith or Jefferson)/Varejao with multiple picks to build a really good bench. I don't think thats a championship team yet, but its just a piece or two away from being dominant, which is a much better situation than what we're currently in.

Still, I love KG and Pierce, and am happy that they are playing for a real contender.

TP as well. Even the Clippers trade was better.

Clippers trade was much better.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 07:48:05 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
NJ didnt make a trade with us
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 07:50:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think James Gandolfini's ghost just helped the Nets to win next year.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 07:59:46 AM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Just saw that we got Marshon Brooks in the deal. I like that.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
I'm amazed at how great of a deal Ainge pulled off. We are literally stacked with assets to rebuild a contender now, and all we gave up are 3 guys near retirement who were on their way out of hear anyway. Shocked that the Nets gave up so many picks. This is a much, much better deal than the Clippers trade. Not even close/ We have a shot at lottery picks almost every year until 2018, and we also get Marshon Brooks back. I'm stoked for the rebuild.

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 08:22:28 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Not crazy about the deal. The Nets picks provide no guarantee that they could be lottery picks and I don't think the Nets are going to fall off in the next few years enough for those picks to end up being anything worthwhile.

I also hate the fact that we had to take back on Gerald Wallace's awful contract. It's really going to handicap any chance of a speedy rebuild.

That being said 3 firsts, Marshon Brooks and filler isn't a terrible return, in fact is really solid for vets probably retiring and you can hope against hope that those picks end up being good. I just felt like we could have gotten a lot more security in other trades, going after picks that are most likely going to be in the lottery for us.

This has to signal a total tank job though. I think Rondo has to be the next guy out. If there is any way we can get someone to give up a 2014 pick that could be very high I'd be ecstatic. We are going to be awful and hopefully get lucky with the ping pong balls and get a superstar.

I think Danny is gambling big time. I'll reserve judgement and hope he gets lucky.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 08:43:43 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm not sure yet. But with KG being in total control of where he would go I guess it's probably as good as it would get.

Time will tell. I want to know who our coach will be more then anything right now.
Peace through Tyranny