Poll

What are you're thoughts on the Boston/KG trade?

Not a fan.  Would rather have seen one more season with PP, KG, and Co.
15 (21.1%)
Not a fan.  Would rather we trade PP and KG in other deals this off-season.
14 (19.7%)
Boo-Yah!  Celtics get a haul for two eldery players.  Thumbs up DA!
29 (40.8%)
Not sure yet. . .
13 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Voting closed: July 05, 2013, 01:40:55 AM

Author Topic: Bos/NJ trade: What say you?  (Read 8151 times)

Bos/NJ trade: What say you?
« on: June 28, 2013, 01:40:55 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Let's see what the pulse of CB is on the big trade.

Re: Bos/NJ trade: What say you?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:44:46 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Where's the option for:

Thanks KG, Pierce! Now you go beat MIA and win a championship! LAST HURRAH!

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:46:09 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'll make my own choice.

Disgusting trade.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 01:51:37 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
We're not gonna know untill 2018 when our last first rounder is picked from this deal.

I've come around on this thing a little bit after calming down. Gerald Wallace's contract is pretty bad, yeah, but the idea isnt to win next year. As painful of a realization that is, its reality, so were not looking for cap space this year.

What if Gerald Wallace rebounds and has a really, really solid year? We know he's capable of it, and while he may be over paid, what if he becomes another asset for Danny to trade after this year for a team that is looking for a good sf/pf combo?

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:52:26 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Jury is still out. I will be happy if we end up with some other players. Players like Josh Smith and O.J. Mayo.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I'll make my own choice.

Disgusting trade.

I pick this option.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 02:07:38 AM »

Offline jpurthe1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17
We're not gonna know untill 2018 when our last first rounder is picked from this deal.

I've come around on this thing a little bit after calming down. Gerald Wallace's contract is pretty bad, yeah, but the idea isnt to win next year. As painful of a realization that is, its reality, so were not looking for cap space this year.

What if Gerald Wallace rebounds and has a really, really solid year? We know he's capable of it, and while he may be over paid, what if he becomes another asset for Danny to trade after this year for a team that is looking for a good sf/pf combo?

Just imagine a trade similar to this:

Mehmet Okur, small forward Shawne Williams and New Jersey's protected 2012 first-round pick, the Nets announced. The pick is top-3 protected, according to a league source.

Not sure we get this exact exchange in a trade but a top 3 protected pick in another future draft would look real nice to the collection of what now 9-10 in the next 4 drafts.

Plus we have bogans, humphries, reggie evans, bass, lee, green, sully and rondo. I know I missed someone.

There are potential first round picks available to be had.

What if Danny gets 2 or 3 more unprotected picks for 2014 or 2015. That is just scary and eye opening.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 02:13:50 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100

Just imagine a trade similar to this:

Mehmet Okur, small forward Shawne Williams and New Jersey's protected 2012 first-round pick, the Nets announced. The pick is top-3 protected, according to a league source.

Not sure we get this exact exchange in a trade but a top 3 protected pick in another future draft would look real nice to the collection of what now 9-10 in the next 4 drafts.

Plus we have bogans, humphries, reggie evans, bass, lee, green, sully and rondo. I know I missed someone.

There are potential first round picks available to be had.

What if Danny gets 2 or 3 more unprotected picks for 2014 or 2015. That is just scary and eye opening.

Cant forget about being able to swap positions with Brooklyn in 2017 as well.

PP and KG give them a one year window, two year window at best? In 2 years, people are gonna be pumped about this trade while the Nets are going to go through their implode.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 02:25:32 AM »

Offline qwerty

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 3
I made an account just to get my opinions out.

I really hate this deal, not because I don't think we should blow it up, but because this deal is the wrong deal to start our rebuild. We are literally getting cents on the dollar.

In any rebuild you look to add three assets: cap space, picks, and young potential stars.

The nets deal barely gives us a cap space. Sure we get Humphries' expiring and rid ourselves of Terry, but by taking on Wallace's contract, we pretty much negate the flexibility this offers us. In fact, we would have had more cap space had we simply let Pierce and KG retire after a year here.

Everyone is highlighting the three picks, but keep in mind that the Nets will be good for the next few years and that the Hawks can swap for the 2014 pick, virtually guaranteeing that they will be in the 20-30 range. Historically, picks in that range have like a 30% chance of being more than a role player in the nba. Hence, those picks will probably net us not much more than one, maybe two, good bench players.

Finally, the biggest reason that I hate this trade: it ignores the talent we already have on our roster. Rondo and Green are 27 and 26 respectively, but this deal means that we won't be playoff caliber (unless we land wiggins) for 4-5 years at best. By this time, both Rondo and Green will be old and deteriorating. Many analysts are already predicting a Rondo trade in the near future. In my opinion, this is a total waste of all star caliber talent.

What Danny should have done is expand upon the widely reported offer of Pierce for a trade exception and # 31 and #33 to include Garnett for Varejao and a 1st. Using the trade exception, Danny could have easily facilitated a sign and trade for Al Jefferson or Josh Smith (many rumors had indicated this as a strong possibility). That would give us the lineup of Rondo/Bradley/Green/(Smith or Jefferson)/Varejao with multiple picks to build a really good bench. I don't think thats a championship team yet, but its just a piece or two away from being dominant, which is a much better situation than what we're currently in.

Still, I love KG and Pierce, and am happy that they are playing for a real contender.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:53:55 AM by qwerty »

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 02:28:16 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I really hate this deal, not because I don't think we should blow it up, but because this deal is the wrong deal to start our rebuild. We are literally getting cents on the dollar.

In any rebuild you look to add three assets: cap space, picks, and young potential stars.

The nets deal barely gives us a cap space. Sure we get Humphries' expiring and rid ourselves of Terry, but by taking on Wallace's contract, we pretty much negate the flexibility this offers us. In fact, we would have had more cap space had we simply let Pierce and KG retire after a year here.

Everyone is highlighting the three picks, but keep in mind that the Hawks can swap for two of those picks, virtually guaranteeing that they will be in the 20-30 range. Historically, picks in that range have like a 30% chance of being more than a role player in the nba. Hence, those picks will probably net us not much more than one, maybe two, good bench players.

Finally, the biggest reason that I hate this trade: it ignores the talent we already have on our roster. Rondo and Green are 27 and 26 respectively, but this deal means that we won't be playoff caliber (unless we land wiggins) for 4-5 years at best. By this time, both Rondo and Green will be old and deteriorating. Many analysts are already predicting a Rondo trade in the near future. In my opinion, this is a total waste of all star caliber talent.

What Danny should have done is expand upon the widely reported offer of Pierce for a trade exception and # 31 and #33 to include Garnett for Varejao and a 1st. Using the trade exception, Danny could have easily facilitated a sign and trade for Al Jefferson or Josh Smith (many rumors had indicated this as a strong possibility). That would give us the lineup of Rondo/Bradley/Green/(Smith or Jefferson)/Varejao with multiple picks to build a really good bench. I don't think thats a championship team yet, but its just a piece or two away from being dominant, which is a much better situation than what we're currently in.

Still, I love KG and Pierce, and am happy that they are playing for a real contender.

Well welcome to CB!

I thought the Hawks had priority on just the 2014 pick?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 02:31:02 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Garnett would never have OKed getting traded to Cleveland.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 02:34:59 AM »

Offline jpurthe1

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 17

Everyone is highlighting the three picks, but keep in mind that the Hawks can swap for two of those picks, virtually guaranteeing that they will be in the 20-30 range. Historically, picks in that range have like a 30% chance of being more than a role player in the nba. Hence, those picks will probably net us not much more than one, maybe two, good bench players.

1 pick can be swapped in 2014 or 2015, not both.

Dominant with JSmooth, Rondo, Green, Al Jeff? None of those players are dominant and have never taken their respective teams anywhere. Rondo has with help from 3 hall of famers. Not sure about your team thoughts because, we would be a mediocre team for a longer time and go nowhere but down again.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 02:35:36 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I'm giving you your first Tommy Point just for this beautiful write up.

You pretty much said what I wanted to say but did not know how to say. (because English in not my first language and did not know how to express myself. ;D)

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 02:46:51 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

TP as well. Even the Clippers trade was better.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 02:50:09 AM »

Offline qwerty

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 3

1 pick can be swapped in 2014 or 2015, not both.

Dominant with JSmooth, Rondo, Green, Al Jeff? None of those players are dominant and have never taken their respective teams anywhere. Rondo has with help from 3 hall of famers. Not sure about your team thoughts because, we would be a mediocre team for a longer time and go nowhere but down again.

Yeah my bad, I thought for some reason it was two picks but upon further research you're right.

I agree that J-Smoove isn't an all star level player and I don't think that team will be dominant immediately. However, I do think that a Rondo - Bradley - Green - Big Al - Varejao lineup with Sully and a bunch of 1st Rounders coming of the bench is a top 3/4 seed and only a few pieces away from a Championship. I mainly like that scenario better since we would be competitive much sooner, before Rondo and Green hit thirty, which I don't think is possible now.