Author Topic: I like Kelly Olynyk  (Read 13333 times)

Re: I like Kelly Olynyk
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 03:54:31 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I keep hearing "Scola" as a reference point. I think it might be the hair, but if this dude ends up as the next Scola for us that would be great.

He will be better than Scola. Scola can't move as well and doesn't have the dribbling nor passing skills as Olynyk.

Olynyk is basically a sf that lacks quickness nor athleticism of a sf, but has the size of a pf. In the nba he will have to play the pf position.  Nowitzki is another guy who has size but is not all that quick nor athletic. Though i would argue he is very agile for his height, is quicker than Olynyk by a bit and has advanced offensive skills.

Olynyk at peak could be a nowitzki out of the pf position. If that happens, danny will come out as a genius

If he does end up better than Scola, he was certainly worth Bebe and a pair of second rounders.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 05:07:19 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I can't stop thinking about Raef LaFrentz right now.

Was Olynyk not going to be there at #16? Dallas was supposedly desperate to move that pick. Why did Ainge give up two 2nd rounders to move up?

Honestly, who cares? First of all, with the amount of draft picks we have coming in, as well as the diluted talent found in the second round, the chances of one these "coveted" 2nd rd picks actually making our team is slim. Also, how hard is it really to get back a second rounder? Ainge bought a 2nd rd pick yesterday, which was used to acquire Iverson. You should be praising that move since you think so highly of late picks.

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 07:49:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like him too!  I don't know about a taller Luis Scola (that would be a Pau Gasol level talent, honestly), but I think he'll be a nice rotation player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:23 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Nick Fazekas (rich man's version)?!

I thought Dieng was the guy!

Roberson 1st round! Wanted him in a 2nd round trade or undrafted FA.

I used to live in Reno, saw Fazekas play a ton of times (awesome you would even brign up the name  ;D )  but I don't think it's totally a good comparison... I think the rich man's part adds something to it.

Fazekas was really physically hobbled by his feet.  Olynyk doesn't have that issue, he moves well.  But similarly they can both shoot and both have high IQs, so I see why you'd say him.

Olynyk just moves so much better than he did.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
As fans during the draft I think we sometimes get too caught up in athleticism. Don't get me wrong it is nice to have athletes on the team (and we do at 1-3), but there is something to be said for guys who are just good at basketball.

Olynyk, can shoot, pass, dribble, run the floor, finish with both hands using a variety of post moves. He has excellent understanding of spacing, and how to use his body to seal off his man. Just as important, he plays hard.

His defense, and his rebounding will improve, he improved so much every year at college and I still think he has a lot of room for growth.

Interior passing in the NBA is an art when done correctly. In reference to passing in the post I think Sullinger and Olynyk can develop into a poor man's Gasol and Z-BO (just in reference to interior passing, i'm not saying they will be near as good as Z Bo and Gasol).

This was one of the guys I wanted the Celtics to draft and I also like Kelly Olynyk.

Plus he'll make Andrew Wiggins comfortable because they are both Canadian.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 08:45:09 AM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1623
maybe another laimbeer or dirk? 3 point line wise?  ;D
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 12:07:37 PM »

Offline Lebowski

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I'm in full blown, "Some of this draft class has to be good, why not our guy?" mode over this pick.

Trying to convince myself that his (ultimate) best case scenario is a homeless man's Dirk.

Worst case scenario: He takes down all our banners, rolls em up, and smokes em.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Was Olynyk not going to be there at #16? Dallas was supposedly desperate to move that pick. Why did Ainge give up two 2nd rounders to move up?

Honestly, who cares? First of all, with the amount of draft picks we have coming in, as well as the diluted talent found in the second round, the chances of one these "coveted" 2nd rd picks actually making our team is slim. Also, how hard is it really to get back a second rounder? Ainge bought a 2nd rd pick yesterday, which was used to acquire Iverson. You should be praising that move since you think so highly of late picks.

Not sure what you mean by that last bit.

BTW, if the tank is on, that 2014 Boston 2nd rounder could well be in the low 30s, in one of the most talented, deep drafts in recent memory. Ainge won't be able to buy that kind of pick back. A pick in the low 50s in a flat draft class, sure, that's easily come by.

Bottom line: never give up more than you have to in a trade. Maybe Ainge had to overbid another team to get the pick.

Re: Olynyk, I just read that he was a starting quarterback in high school. So I am feeling less worried about his perceived lack of athleticism. I look forward to seeing what he can do.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
My main disappointment with this pick probably has a lot to do with not getting Noel. Noel was my binky and seeing him fall to six and be had with a 2014 first for Holliday really bums me out. I have faith he will contribute bc of his skill, but I had my heart set on Noel.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 06:22:09 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Not sure what you mean by that last bit.

BTW, if the tank is on, that 2014 Boston 2nd rounder could well be in the low 30s, in one of the most talented, deep drafts in recent memory. Ainge won't be able to buy that kind of pick back. A pick in the low 50s in a flat draft class, sure, that's easily come by.

Bottom line: never give up more than you have to in a trade. Maybe Ainge had to overbid another team to get the pick.

Re: Olynyk, I just read that he was a starting quarterback in high school. So I am feeling less worried about his perceived lack of athleticism. I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Tom Brady is an awesome QB but not the greatest athlete.  LOL.  As for Olynyk what I hear is he has good feet/mobility for his size but not jump out of the gym athleticism.  I think he will be an adequate on ball defender because of his high basketball IQ and size.  But he will never be the menacing backdoor/rotating defender who protects the rim and swats the ball into the third row.

But come on, 13th pick in a weak draft, if you're getting a servicable player, you've done well for yourself.  Also speaking of how athleticism can be sometimes overrated, anybody remember a guy named Carlos Boozer?  He did pretty well for himself and was only a 2nd round pick.  He's also 3 inches shorter than Olynyk.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Looks like the Jazz were the ones who wanted Olynyk at #14.  Great move by Ainge to move up & grab his player.

http://celticshub.com/2013/06/30/weekend-notebook-what-about-kelly-olynyk-gigi-datome-could-sign-with-celtics/

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
Looks like the Jazz were the ones who wanted Olynyk at #14.  Great move by Ainge to move up & grab his player.

http://celticshub.com/2013/06/30/weekend-notebook-what-about-kelly-olynyk-gigi-datome-could-sign-with-celtics/
Wish the Jazz traded up to get him instead of the Celtics
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Wish the Jazz traded up to get him instead of the Celtics

You won't be saying that come Christmas.

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2013, 04:19:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jazz were interested. Apparently guys like Olynyk are only asked to shoot 5 3 point shots when working out for team.

Jazz asked him to shoot 100 threes. not a typo, 100. And he made 63 of them, the 2nd highest for their workouts. 

I think still we would of had a shot at him at 16, bc jazz needed to trade the 14 for Trey Burke. Maybe Danny thought Bucks would get him next though.

Whatever the case is, we gave up peanuts to go 3 spots higher.  So i'm ok

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2013, 04:24:03 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
He's growing on me.  Woulda liked dieng but looks as if he has some offensive limitations.  I think now I'd prefer a guy that can be a bit more versatile. will be fun to watch him develop.