Author Topic: Rumor (with sources): Ray Allen thinking about returning to Boston  (Read 9856 times)

Re: Rumor (with sources): Ray Allen thinking about returning to Boston
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2013, 05:51:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1510
If he reaches out to his teammates and coach and they can embrace his coming back I can get over his betrayal.

This is pretty much how I feel.  If Ray did whatever he needed to do to mend the fences with Doc, KG, PP and RR then if they are ok with it, how can we not be ok with it?

But, I seriously doubt this is a legitimate story.  Poor timing for that story to come out, which is mainly why I think it isn't true.

If Ray came back for the min just to play one more year with the C's I think the fans would forgive and forget.  I mean everyone makes mistakes in their life.

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
I doubt this is true, but if it was, I'd take Ray back.

Why not?

So he went to play in Miami?

Big deal

I don't think that's any bigger an issue/story than Danny Ainge trying to trade him.

Nobody owes anybody anything.

I disagree. I think he owed PP and KG a little something. They nixed the Ray for Mayo deal. And just to get back at Ainge, Doc and Rondo he screws his friends over?

Still wish Ainge would have done the Ray for Mayo deal.

I'd be curious to know what actually happened there.  I've heard Danny killed it, that KG/Pierce killed it, and that Mayo killed it.

My understanding was that KG/Pierce/Doc were vehemently against it, and I think that is what ultimately made Danny back out.

I read that Ray got a text (from Doc) that he had been traded, and then received another shortly thereafter telling him the deal was dead.

I also read that Mayo had the same kind of deal happen to him (getting texts from his agent, I think).

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2979
bring back Sheed

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Why not?

Big deal

I don't think that's any bigger an issue/story than Danny Ainge trying to trade him.

I disagree. I think he owed PP and KG a little something. They nixed the Ray for Mayo deal. And just to get back at Ainge, Doc and Rondo he screws his friends over?

I'd be curious to know what actually happened there.  I've heard Danny killed it, that KG/Pierce killed it, and that Mayo killed it.

My understanding was that KG/Pierce/Doc were vehemently against it, and I think that is what ultimately made Danny back out.

I read that Ray got a text (from Doc) that he had been traded, and then received another shortly thereafter telling him the deal was dead.

I also read that Mayo had the same kind of deal happen to him (getting texts from his agent, I think).

Your version of events kind of makes Danny seem like the smart one in that whole deal, at least after the fact.

Of course, maybe Ray would have stuck around if this hadn't happened like it did.

I hope that one of these days Danny comes clean on all the possible deals he considered (or proposed) for these guys (Big 3 plus Rondo), and who "killed" them. It'd be interesting to get a feel for how he really valued them, and for how he let others be part of the decision.

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
No credibility.  That account has tweeted false "rumors" in the past.
Yes, hence "rumor" on top.

Well, "rumor" implies that there is at least some truth to this, rather than a figment of somebody's imagination.

I actually lol'd at this.

Somone's just really bored and letting their imagination run wild.

While I still think Ray Allen can be a deadly serviceable player as he can still stretch the floor and in the clutch he's still one of the better weapons out there...

I just don't see him coming back without KG, PP, and Doc openly saying they'll be back.

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2013, 06:03:39 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

Why not?

Big deal

Your version of events kind of makes Danny seem like the smart one in that whole deal, at least after the fact.

Of course, maybe Ray would have stuck around if this hadn't happened like it did.

I hope that one of these days Danny comes clean on all the possible deals he considered (or proposed) for these guys (Big 3 plus Rondo), and who "killed" them. It'd be interesting to get a feel for how he really valued them, and for how he let others be part of the decision.

I'd bet Jackie M. will write some book about the Big Three years after they all retire, and Danny will give his insight about 'breaking up the core.'

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2979
do we even know Doc I is coming back?.......maybe he goes the Heat to coach small ball if the Pacers prevail.....

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I didn't blame Ray for leaving.  Whether you want to admit it or not, he was pretty disrespected and under-appreciated here.  Every year they tried to trade him.  That final year they decided to start an unproven Bradley over him.  They DID trade him and the deal fell apart.  In the offseason they went out and signed Jason Terry and had plans to sign Courtney Lee even as they were negotiating with him.  He had several issues with Rajon Rondo behind the scenes.  Meanwhile, Boston lucked into the ECF (Atlanta and Philly in the first two rounds) and realistically was no longer a contender.  Why bother coming off the bench for a fanbase that didn't appreciate him (I saw Ray ALlen trade threads on this board once a week), a GM that didn't want him (tried to dump him at least 3 times), a coach who undermined him (sticking him on the bench behind a kid) and a leader who didn't like him (he and Rondo clashed).  You can't blame him.

Also the Miami/Boston "Rivalry" is severely overblown.  They just happened to be the team to eliminate us two years in a row... I don't think of them as a "rival".  It was a good situation for him.  I'm not even rooting against Miami in the playoffs.

I'd be totally in support of him coming back in some capacity.  Ray is a class act.  Would be great for him to retire a Celtic.

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2013, 07:18:11 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I didn't blame Ray for leaving.  Whether you want to admit it or not, he was pretty disrespected and under-appreciated here.  Every year they tried to trade him.  That final year they decided to start an unproven Bradley over him.  They DID trade him and the deal fell apart.  In the offseason they went out and signed Jason Terry and had plans to sign Courtney Lee even as they were negotiating with him.  He had several issues with Rajon Rondo behind the scenes.  Meanwhile, Boston lucked into the ECF (Atlanta and Philly in the first two rounds) and realistically was no longer a contender.  Why bother coming off the bench for a fanbase that didn't appreciate him (I saw Ray ALlen trade threads on this board once a week), a GM that didn't want him (tried to dump him at least 3 times), a coach who undermined him (sticking him on the bench behind a kid) and a leader who didn't like him (he and Rondo clashed).  You can't blame him.

Also the Miami/Boston "Rivalry" is severely overblown.  They just happened to be the team to eliminate us two years in a row... I don't think of them as a "rival". It was a good situation for him.  I'm not even rooting against Miami in the playoffs.

I'd be totally in support of him coming back in some capacity.  Ray is a class act.  Would be great for him to retire a Celtic.

I always thought of it more as a LeBron-Celtics rivalry, seeing as he had to get through us in four of the past five seasons.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Also the Miami/Boston "Rivalry" is severely overblown.  They just happened to be the team to eliminate us two years in a row... I don't think of them as a "rival". It was a good situation for him.  I'm not even rooting against Miami in the playoffs.

I always thought of it more as a LeBron-Celtics rivalry, seeing as he had to get through us in four of the past five seasons.
That's fair, I guess. 

Just want to point out... this isn't going to happen.  I don't see Ray returning for all the reasons I don't blame him for leaving.  Also that twitter account is a fraud.

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013, 08:14:04 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
No credibility.  That account has tweeted false "rumors" in the past.

Stop it!
You mean there aren't underwater alien bases in the Antarctic?
I heard Ray Allen to LA!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:30 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
The prodigal son? I wonder who plays the father. And the brother,er, brothers are KG, PP and Rajon?