Author Topic: How's my Historical Team? (Awesome right!)  (Read 143591 times)

Re: How's my Historical Team? (Awesome right!)
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2012, 08:21:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
2 picks left for me.  With the addition of Barbosa that slides Stack over to the backup SF position for the team.  Really like how it is shaking out and see a lot of interchangeable parts here and nice fits.  I am still undecided on which year to utilize from Westbrook.  He was better statistically last season, but he seems to be a bit more mature this season, so I'm really torn there.   

PG - Rose 11, Westbrook ?
SG - Pierce 02, Barbosa 07
SF - J. Johnson 05, Stackhouse 01
PF - K. Malone 97, Bosh 07, AC Green 89
C  - Bynum 12, Seikaly 93

I really think your team lacks meaningful championship experience.  In your starting 5 only one player has won the title and he also happens to be your most immature player.  I could be wrong here but are AC Green and Bynum the only players on your team to have won a title?  I think in this format where there are so many quality players that have not only put up good stats but also played and won on the biggest stage your lack of championship experience will hurt you.
Pierce has obviously won a title.  He was even the finals MVP.

I don't think Malone's lack of a championship really diminishes him here.  Leading a team to the NBA Finals multiple times and losing to a better team isn't a big deal. 

And really unless you have Duncan, Shaq, or Kobe I don't think the championship argument has much weight as those guys are the only guys to win multiple titles as their teams best player.  Being a 2nd or 3rd option on multiple title teams shouldn't put you ahead of a guy like Malone, who carried his team for 15 years. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Nash
Finley/Battier
Pippen/Rice
Elton Brand/J Smith
J O'Neal/M Okur/Big Z

1 pick in the 12th, 2 picks in the 13th left.

Obviously you need a defensive PG, I have one in mind that I would really like to see on your team if you want my advice.  
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2012, 08:22:45 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How's the new Nuggets now.

G - Penny Hardaway / Rod Strickland / Derek Fisher
G - Doug Christie / Nick Anderson
F - Grant Hill / Tayshaun Prince
F - David Lee / PJ Brown
C - Patrick Ewing / Rik Smits / Luc Longley

I like the your team though David Lee does worry me as a starting PF in this league, not much defense but he does rebound at an excellent rate.  Again for your team the lack of championship experience worries me.

I respectfully disagree with David Lee. When he was playing Center for the Knicks i might. But living in the Bay Area. I've seen a lot of Warriors games and David Lee is a solid post defender. Only thing that gives him problems are faceup, faster PF's, which he would need Ewings help i guess. But against a traditional PF, he can stand his own.

I agree with you on the championship experience though. Even though Penny had 1, Fish and Longley had plenty I believe its not enough. I don't see how I can address that.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2012, 08:23:34 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
2 picks left for me.  With the addition of Barbosa that slides Stack over to the backup SF position for the team.  Really like how it is shaking out and see a lot of interchangeable parts here and nice fits.  I am still undecided on which year to utilize from Westbrook.  He was better statistically last season, but he seems to be a bit more mature this season, so I'm really torn there.   

PG - Rose 11, Westbrook ?
SG - Pierce 02, Barbosa 07
SF - J. Johnson 05, Stackhouse 01
PF - K. Malone 97, Bosh 07, AC Green 89
C  - Bynum 12, Seikaly 93

I really think your team lacks meaningful championship experience.  In your starting 5 only one player has won the title and he also happens to be your most immature player.  I could be wrong here but are AC Green and Bynum the only players on your team to have won a title?  I think in this format where there are so many quality players that have not only put up good stats but also played and won on the biggest stage your lack of championship experience will hurt you.
Pierce has obviously won a title.  He was even the finals MVP.

I don't think Malone's lack of a championship really diminishes him here.  Leading a team to the NBA Finals multiple times and losing to a better team isn't a big deal. 

And really unless you have Duncan, Shaq, or Kobe I don't think the championship argument has much weight as those guys are the only guys to win multiple titles as their teams best player.  Being a 2nd or 3rd option on multiple title teams shouldn't put you ahead of a guy like Malone, who carried his team for 15 years. 

But you picked Pierce before his title and Finals MVP year so in my eyes that isnt the player that you selected.  But I disagree, I think there are plenty of guys out there who I would say there Championship experience is very valuable that havent won multiple titles.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Tricity Blackhawks  (we are going historical name)

PG  Williams
SG  Ray Allen
SF  Deng
PF  Love
C   Howard

Bench

PG Brandon
SG Petrovic
SF Glen Robinson
PF/SF Robert Horry
PF/C Clifford Robinson (big headband one)
PF/C Aldridge

I love the pieces that you have here, Allen Deng and Love are enough of the, "do your job, go about your business" type guys to balance out the diva that we all know is alive inside of Dwight and Deron.  I was worried about your 0 championships in your starting lineup but I think Robert Horry was a big pickup for you in terms of bringing some leadership and a guy that knows what it takes to get it done.

« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2012, 08:28:48 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Philadelphia 76ers

PG: Terry Porter, Kyle Lowry
SG: Tracy McGrady, James Harden
SF: Josh Howard, Rudy Gay, Danny Manning
PF: Shawn Kemp, Serge Ibaka, (Danny Manning)
C:  Shaquille O'Neal, Roy Tarpley

Okay, my bench and team is pretty much done now. For the last two picks, I'd probably add another guard and whoever the best available talent is.

There is no set rotation off the bench. Well, the backcourt is pretty straight forward but the frontcourt will depend on what type of matchups and adjustments to style of play the coach wants. Some nights Manning will the first frontcourt player off the bench, other nights he may not play. Same with Ibaka, Gay and maybe even Tarpley.

I like what you have hear Who.  Its a good mix of guys who thrived on their teams with the ball in their hands and guys who have supporting roles but are also very talented.  I really like the Ibaka and Harden as those are guys that have thrived and been impact players without dominating the basketball and in Hardens case, while coming off the bench.  And obviously your team begins and ends with Shaq. 

« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2012, 08:30:20 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

PG  Williams
SG  Ray Allen
SF  Deng
PF  Love
C   Howard

Bench

PG Brandon
SG Petrovic
SF Glen Robinson
PF/SF Robert Horry
PF/C Aldridge

I love the pieces that you have here, Allen Deng and Love are enough of the, "do your job, go about your business" type guys to balance out the diva that we all know is alive inside of Dwight and Deron.  I was worried about your 0 championships in your starting lineup but I think Robert Horry was a big pickup for you in terms of bringing some leadership and a guy that knows what it takes to get it done.

Ray Allen will win a title in his career once his paired with other top talent.  

Big Dog one a title deep on a bench once.   ;)

This is an issue with a lot of teams.  Many players win title after their best season.  Does it make them less likely to win a title on a loaded team?

« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
How's the new Nuggets now.

G - Penny Hardaway / Rod Strickland / Derek Fisher
G - Doug Christie / Nick Anderson
F - Grant Hill / Tayshaun Prince
F - David Lee / PJ Brown
C - Patrick Ewing / Rik Smits / Luc Longley

I like the your team though David Lee does worry me as a starting PF in this league, not much defense but he does rebound at an excellent rate.  Again for your team the lack of championship experience worries me.

I like your team better going with the twin towers. 

Ewing when he was younger is a better defender at PF then Lee. 

The Ewing Smits combo would still be the hardest matchup you can throw out at teams. 

« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Celtics

C: Marc Gasol/ Andrew Bogut
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/ Juwan Howard
SF: Reggie Lewis/ James Posey
SG: Vince Carter/ Jamal Mashburn
PG: Chris Paul

Definitely an interesting roster. Dirk and Paul is a great core and I think they will play well together.  Vince is a great 3rd offensive option if you can get him to buy in to not dominating the ball.

I worry about your D a little bit though.  Dirk and Carter are both below average defenders I'd say, Gasol is about Average but will be going up against 20+ years of top notch talent.  I really liked the Posey and Bogut additions though.

« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I don't like Rose and Westbrook as the two PGs.  One of them as the starting PG is good, but I don't like them as a combo.
I like them a lot as a combo. I think they'll be hell to play against because they'll be able to go all out for 48 minutes with that relentless physically overpowering style of play. They are going to be very tough to play against.

With all the other scorers out there, I would want at least one PG that was more pass first to get them going better.

I like Westbrook playing more of the combo guard/SG off the bench for this team.  

« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2012, 08:39:23 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

PG  Williams
SG  Ray Allen
SF  Deng
PF  Love
C   Howard

Bench

PG Brandon
SG Petrovic
SF Glen Robinson
PF/SF Robert Horry
PF/C Aldridge

This is an issue with a lot of teams.  Many players win title after their best season.  Does it make them less likely to win a title on a loaded team?

Its an interesting question, I personally think that when almost every team is, "Loaded" as you say the championship experience is a big factor.  I would agree with you that if your team were playing in the NBA today they would steamroll, but every team in this league is a super team.  Thats where overcoming adversity, knowing what it takes to win a big game comes into play.

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:07 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

PG  Williams
SG  Ray Allen
SF  Deng
PF  Love
C   Howard

Bench

PG Brandon
SG Petrovic
SF Glen Robinson
PF/SF Robert Horry
PF/C Aldridge

Its an interesting question, I personally think that when almost every team is, "Loaded" as you say the championship experience is a big factor.  I would agree with you that if your team were playing in the NBA today they would steamroll, but every team in this league is a super team.  Thats where overcoming adversity, knowing what it takes to win a big game comes into play.

But with all these players, the difference between winning a title early or later (or not) has been teammates. 

But that is not an issue for these teams.

So it comes down to talent, fit and possible chemistry issues. 

If a player proves to be a title quality star when they get the right teammates eventually in the NBA, then they are a quality title star. 

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
Philadelphia 76ers

Okay, my bench and team is pretty much done now. For the last two picks, I'd probably add another guard and whoever the best available talent is.

There is no set rotation off the bench. Well, the backcourt is pretty straight forward but the frontcourt will depend on what type of matchups and adjustments to style of play the coach wants. Some nights Manning will the first frontcourt player off the bench, other nights he may not play. Same with Ibaka, Gay and maybe even Tarpley.

I like what you have hear Who.  Its a good mix of guys who thrived on their teams with the ball in their hands and guys who have supporting roles but are also very talented.  I really like the Ibaka and Harden as those are guys that have thrived and been impact players without dominating the basketball and in Hardens case, while coming off the bench.  And obviously your team begins and ends with Shaq. 
Shaq is the only guy he has that won a title.  I realize he has 4 of them, but it seems you are just picking and choosing the title argument and not applying it consistently in your critiques of teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Philadelphia 76ers

Shaq is the only guy he has that won a title.  I realize he has 4 of them, but it seems you are just picking and choosing the title argument and not applying it consistently in your critiques of teams.

Yes he has 4 titles 3 of which came as his teams best player, that is absolutely huge.  And like I said, the other reason I like his team, (and Wdleehi's team) is the fit of the guys on their team. 

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

PG  Williams
SG  Ray Allen
SF  Deng
PF  Love
C   Howard

Bench

PG Brandon
SG Petrovic
SF Glen Robinson
PF/SF Robert Horry
PF/C Aldridge

But with all these players, the difference between winning a title early or later (or not) has been teammates. 

But that is not an issue for these teams.

So it comes down to talent, fit and possible chemistry issues. 

If a player proves to be a title quality star when they get the right teammates eventually in the NBA, then they are a quality title star. 

I agree with the fit and Chemistry and like I said, I really like that aspect of your team.  But I don't agree that you can argue that player X is a championship quality player because when he was surrounded by talent in the real NBA he did it so he had it in him all along.

In this league every team has a superb amount of talent.  with the exceptions of some teams that I see clearly at the top I think it is mostly a level playing field of talent.  For example, and im not picking on him, i love Ray, watching Ray play basketball has been my favorite thing about the celtics over the last 5 or so years.

But Ray didnt win a title until he was on a top two team talent wise in the league.  Do I think your team is top two in this league in talent?  Maybe, your team is up there, thats for sure.  But im just not sure you can say he is a championship caliber player on your team