Author Topic: Keep Bass on Bosh, let KG stay under the hoop on defense  (Read 4301 times)

Keep Bass on Bosh, let KG stay under the hoop on defense
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
We have seen how easily the Heat have been able to get to the rim when KG leaves the games. I don't want KG wasting a ton of energy on defense trying to stay with Bosh on the perimeter and also trying to get back to help underneath.

Bass is more than athletic and strong enough to stay with Bosh. Yes Bosh has a 2 inch height advantage , but as long as Bass is keeping him out of the paint and contests the mid range jumper we should be fine.

We need KG down low on D to stop Lebron and Wade from driving and need him to be fresh enough on the offensive end to give us 20+points if we are  going to win this game.

Re: Keep Bass on Bosh, let KG stay under the hoop on defense
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Depends on who is on the floor.

I would imagine Bosh is the C and the leave in Battier. 

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
In the regular season we had Bass check Bosh for much of the time, I think they'd start out that way and see what happens.

However, this line of thought assumes something that looms large for Bosh's potential return: will Miami continue to play 1 big + 4 wings or return to more 2 bigs + 3 wings alignments.

I think they'll keep going with the 1 big line up for most of the game, this means that KG will have to guard Bosh or whomever is that big to avoid being dragged to the corner out of help position.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline RajonRondo9Dime

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Yeah it all depends on match ups..

If Miami goes with Bosh at the 5, and a shooter/LeBron at the 4.... Well, you obviously can't do that.

And I think Miami realizes this, and wants to get KG out of the paint.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miami wins in 6 now. Bosh is that important.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
We have seen how easily the Heat have been able to get to the rim when KG leaves the games. I don't want KG wasting a ton of energy on defense trying to stay with Bosh on the perimeter and also trying to get back to help underneath.

Bass is more than athletic and strong enough to stay with Bosh. Yes Bosh has a 2 inch height advantage , but as long as Bass is keeping him out of the paint and contests the mid range jumper we should be fine.

We need KG down low on D to stop Lebron and Wade from driving and need him to be fresh enough on the offensive end to give us 20+points if we are  going to win this game.

As you said, he's giving about two inches to Bosh and for someone who is making most of his offense through outside shooting rather than post play, height is a more important aspect to disrupt his rhythm, not muscular strength.
The last thing I'd like to see is Bosh giving sort of a big boost to the Heat with his jumper. Keep KG on him. He's definitely not a very good one-on-one defender, let alone be a good weak-side helper. So, by keeping KG on him, you may exploit his physical weakness leftover from the injury to the full extent.
While I'm not buying that Bosh is going to hurt Miami, I don't think he's the key player even at his best. There is only one player for the Heat to get in a zone that will mean trouble for your team, get the crowd involved and totally motivate that team, and it's not LeBron James. It's Dwyane Wade. You can see that even at his teammates' faces. Take Wade out of his rhythm and let James be the leader. That's how that team will collapse.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

If Miami goes with Bosh at the 5, and a shooter/LeBron at the 4.... Well, you obviously can't do that.

Yea Pietrus will have to  come in whenever they go to Bosh at C and Lebron at PF. Pietrus is sure due for hitting a couple of shots, if he can give us 6-10 points off the bench I would gladly take that .  Just no more dumb fouls Peaches !
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:02:32 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1525
I think everyone needs to wait and see how bosh plays (or if he does) before saying how important he is.  The guy has a tough injury to recover from.  He has been out for 3 weeks, and no matter what that effects your conditioning (and thus your lift and shot), a lot.

I think the C's should wait on big adjustments to Bosh until he proves that he is going to hurt us.  Game plan for Bosh playing well, and have a response if he does, but stick with what has been working until then (hard doubles on Wade).  I am still more worried about wade than Bosh.

I think one of the surprises to me has been Haslem hitting some jumpers.  That is def something that in combination with Bosh could open up the floor for Wade / LJ.  What scares me is if Bosh does come back playing well hitting shots AND Haslem is still making some jumpers.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 03:34:59 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
whatever the case go straight at Bosh's chest on the other end I doubt he's fully recovered

go at the rib area or give him a chop something of a tomahawk variety
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Yeah if Bosh really is ready to go, and reports are that he's been trying to get the Docs to let him suit up for a few games now, then i'm a bit nervous tonight.

This is a guy that averaged 18/8 in the regular season, he is not a slouch. 

If the Heat go Bosh/LeBron early & often then i hope we see some big minutes for Pietrus/Daniels.  Brandon Bass cannot stay with either of those two.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
Yeah if Bosh really is ready to go, and reports are that he's been trying to get the Docs to let him suit up for a few games now, then i'm a bit nervous tonight.

This is a guy that averaged 18/8 in the regular season, he is not a slouch. 

If the Heat go Bosh/LeBron early & often then i hope we see some big minutes for Pietrus/Daniels.  Brandon Bass cannot stay with either of those two.

Well, Haslem had 12 and 17 the other night with great defense on KG, so replacing him with Bosh may not make much of a difference right now. If the Heat go with both Bosh and Haslem at the same time, then I will be worried though.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

Offline joeb

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
i look at this the opposite way...i'm not as worried about who covers Bosh, i'm more focused on pounding the ball inside to KG if Bosh is guarding him (which is likely if they go with Bosh and Battier up front). it's likely that his timing is off after missing games, especially on the defensive side. go after him and look to frustrate him and/or get him into foul trouble. his wind could also be off, so look to run him as much as possible.

the C's have beaten Miami before (twice in the reg season) with Bosh playing, and one of those times was in Miami, so it's not like they don't know the recipe of guarding him and playing solid team defense.

GO CELTICS!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 04:39:49 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40

This reminds me of the Horford/Hawks situation. I think Bosh is going to need a game to get back into the flow, which means we may have a BETTER chance of picking up Game 5 tonight. Jump shooters dont walk right back in and dominate in their first game.

Here we go Celts

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 04:47:54 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Haslem is playing pretty good lately so if Bosh play tonight maybe Heat go big with both of them on the floor. But in that kind of situation we have the  oportunity to see KG and Stiemsma together on the floor. That could be advantage for us, Heat will be slower, the paint will be full with bodies that means no space for LEbron and Wade inside, they will have to take jumpshots or play pick and roll with Bosh. I would take Bosh jumper who is incosistent rather than layups by lebron. KG defending the pick and roll and Stiemsma grabbing rebounds of their jumpshots. If they settle for jumpshots they will make the the game much easier for us

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 391
i'm not too worried about bosh defensively...there was some caller on felger/mazz saying KG hasnt faced a player like bosh yet in the playoffs...KG has Dominated him THIS YEAR(not worried about last year) when Bosh was 100%

now, bosh is coming off an abdominal injury..going through workouts/shootaround is one thing. what happens when Kg starts banging into that abdomen? KG has got to be physical with him and get him off his game.

lets see how Bosh looks first...lets not forget Horfords first game back was the game the c's Blew them out and he was a non-factor. it was the next game that he actually was a factor..

I could be wrong, but Bosh goes from being out indefinitely in game 4 to a game-time decision?? makes you wonder if Spoelstra is hitting hte panic button because the C's have been in control largely through the last 3 games.

if Bosh plays, I hope the Heat go big...this allows us to matchup better with them with KG/Bass..i'd much rather have bosh/haslem shooting the jumper than Battier/jones spotting up for the 3pointer

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583

With or without Bosh it shouldn't be surprising if Miami wins in 6.  But Boston's chances increase with no Bosh or with an impaired Bosh.  I doubt he'll be at full strength tonight.  Play him aggressively and make him work on D.