Author Topic: Sorry if I missed this topic, but what is up with Rondo?  (Read 9475 times)

Sorry if I missed this topic, but what is up with Rondo?
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:15:12 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 578
Okay, let me start witth that no one played well, or could buy a basket, but at least they appeared to try.

I know Rondo did get some rebounds, but the rest of his game was awful. He seemed totally disinterested in playing last night, and it's not the first time.

For some reason he passed the ball to the first guy (which was occationally a Celtic) he saw once he crossed half court, than headed into the corner. He walked the ball up even after he got the rebound instead of pushing it. The few times he attempted to sroce it was either an ugly jump shot, or lay up that didn't even hit iron. On can count on one hand the number of times he drove to break down the D and kicked the ball to someone. And last but not least his defense consisted of letting who ever he was guarding to blow by him an attempt to slap it away from behind. He certainly wouldn't be second team all D based on last night.

I just don't get it. Everyone knows he has the skills to dominate any game he choices, but why does he choice not to play some nights? Especially in a close out game in the playoffs. I can't imagine that it doesn't make guys like ray, Pierce, KG etc who are giving whatever they have out there crazy.

Anyway, I just needed to vent and I'm done for know. Hopefully the Rondo who gives a crap will show up Saturday.

Re: Sorry if I missed this topic, but what is up with Rondo?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
He didn't look much into it at all last night.  The aggressiveness of Game 5 had disappeared and I thought he had an awful game defensively.  Too much risking taking and had issues keeping his man in front of him.

Not a good game for Rondo.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2749
Doc said something in the postgame presser about Rondo being in between trying to work out the problems of the team offense and attacking the basket himself, and never really accomplished either one, but "it happens. he will be fine next game".

That still doesn't explain the horrendous defense imo, but I expect that to be better next game as well.

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:08:08 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 198
There was a stretch where he was the only one making any hustle plays at all....or would you care to tell me how it looked everyone else was trying hard compared to him?
He didnt play well...Neither did anyone else
Why is KG calling out Phillys fans and shying away from a guy who was an unknown rookie before this series?
Why is Ray Allen washed up?
Why did Doc Rivers get outcoached last night?
why did paul not take over or demand the ball when he was the only one who had it going?
why did the bench only score 5 points?
Blame Rondo, thats why

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
There was a stretch where he was the only one making any hustle plays at all....or would you care to tell me how it looked everyone else was trying hard compared to him?
Why is KG calling out Phillys fans and shying away from a guy who was an unknown rookie before this series?
why did paul not take over or demand the ball when he was the only one who had it going?
Blame Rondo, thats why

The loss was a team effort last night.  I don't think there is much disputing that and if you actually look around the boards today, you'll see threads calling out Doc & Ray as well as general team criticism.  This isn't just a "Rondo" thing.

It wasn't just Rondo's fault last night but he was certainly part of the problem. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »

Offline triple-doublerr

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I honestly think that Rondo is suffering lingering back issues from that fall that he took towards the end of the season (On more than one occasion i've seen him on the sidelines with that wrap on his back sprawled out on the floor).  Add to that the increased defensive load he carries with Bradley's hurt shoulders and Ray's hobbled ankle and it's understandable that he has off nights. He didn't play terrible but he didn't play great either. Given that most fans have been giving Pierce leeway for off games most of the playoffs because of his bum knee it's only fair to grant Rondo the same since he's had more "on" nights than the captain.  

Hopefully Rondo, Pierce, KG, Ray, Bass, Dooling & whoever else Doc decides to play in game 7 will have better nights.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 578
Blame Rondo, thats why

I do believe that I started by saying no one played well. My point was that Rondo has games and I think last night was one of them, where he plays at half speed and seems disinterested. I'm sorry if you think it's a blame Rondo thing, it's just something I've seen way too many times and i don't understand why.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
maybe he forgot to take a nap

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The part where I really started getting concerned was when the cameras panned to him on the bench with Paul Pierce having some words with him.

Towards the end, Paul gave him a tap upside the head, in a "C'mon Man we need you" kind of way.

When I saw that I realized that Rondo was just not plugged in, and that's sad.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Here's a concept that I don't think I've heard mentioned yet.  I believe that Philly was actually a big part of Rondo's problems last night.  They did a good job cutting off the passing lanes while closing up his drives to the rim at the same time.  They were really alert and active defensively in the paint.

I thought they managed to get Rondo off his game early, and he never found it. 

I don't think there's anything significantly wrong with him mentally or physically, and I expect him to bounce back with a much better performance in game 7.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 07:29:16 PM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Rondo had a bad game and Philly had a good game. Rondo usually isn't passive because he "doesn't feel like it," "doesn't care," or "isn't trying." It's because he's trying to assess the best option to make (keep in mind that he's one of the best in the league at doing this). When teams try to take him out of his game, he slows things down and looks for where the cracks are. Sometimes he doesn't find them or when he does, other guys can't deliver.

It's one game. He's had a great playoffs. I think he and the Celtics will deliver in game 7.

This year Rondo has made teams begin to respect his jump shot and gone from a late game liability to an occasional late game catalyst. Those are major strides.

Since the playoffs he's gotten recognition on the All-NBA team and All-Defensive teams. He's the assist leader, the triple double leader, the double double leader, and the minutes leader. (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics)

Among PGs he's second in rebounds to Rose (who played 1 game), top 3 in steals, top 8 in scoring (with a higher FG% than all but two of the guys ahead of him), and has a very respectable AST/TO ratio.

What isn't up with Rondo? Apparently he's so good that he's not allowed to have a bad possession, let alone a bad quarter or a bad game. It's unfortunate that he has so much talent and potential that the bar has been set impossibly high for him. Let's just root for the guy to find his groove and help us win game 7.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Rondo had a bad game and Philly had a good game. Rondo usually isn't passive because he "doesn't feel like it," "doesn't care," or "isn't trying." It's because he's trying to assess the best option to make (keep in mind that he's one of the best in the league at doing this). When teams try to take him out of his game, he slows things down and looks for where the cracks are. Sometimes he doesn't find them or when he does, other guys can't deliver.

It's one game. He's had a great playoffs. I think he and the Celtics will deliver in game 7.

This year Rondo has made teams begin to respect his jump shot and gone from a late game liability to an occasional late game catalyst. Those are major strides.

Since the playoffs he's gotten recognition on the All-NBA team and All-Defensive teams. He's the assist leader, the triple double leader, the double double leader, and the minutes leader. (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics)

Among PGs he's second in rebounds to Rose (who played 1 game), top 3 in steals, top 8 in scoring (with a higher FG% than all but two of the guys ahead of him), and has a very respectable AST/TO ratio.

What isn't up with Rondo? Apparently he's so good that he's not allowed to have a bad possession, let alone a bad quarter or a bad game. It's unfortunate that he has so much talent and potential that the bar has been set impossibly high for him. Let's just root for the guy to find his groove and help us win game 7.

Nicely stated.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
6 assists.

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112
Rondo is injured.

He has a back and wrist injury that isnt being talked about enough.
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Rondo is injured.

He has a back and wrist injury that isnt being talked about enough.

There's no need to talk about it.  He looks fine to play. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: