Author Topic: IP Ranks The Pick-Two Teams By Divison (All Divisions Are Up)  (Read 94478 times)

Re: IP Ranks The Pick-Two Teams By Divison (All Divisions Are Up)
« Reply #180 on: February 29, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Also: The difference a Melo makes. Amar'e, sans Melo (as a Knick) vs Big Al's 2012 season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=jeffeal01&y1=2012&p2=stoudam01&y2=2011

Yeah, it would've worked.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #181 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Why ya gotta go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like you're somebody else and it gets my frustrated

« Reply #182 on: February 29, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Also: The difference a Melo makes. Amar'e, sans Melo (as a Knick) vs Big Al's 2012 season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=jeffeal01&y1=2012&p2=stoudam01&y2=2011

but this year Al is playing with Millsap who is having a career year, lets look at both last year when they were the premier scorers on their teams

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=jeffeal01&y1=2011&p2=stoudam01&y2=2011

They are almost identical players except Amare averages 3 more shots per game and Al is a better rebounder.  If you want to say that Amare is better at getting to the foul line than Jefferson I will give you that, but I don't think it is what we are looking for out of the center on the rockets
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #183 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

but this year Al is playing with Millsap who is having a career year, lets look at both last year when they were the premier scorers on their teams

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=jeffeal01&y1=2011&p2=stoudam01&y2=2011

They are almost identical players except Amare averages 3 more shots per game and Al is a better rebounder.  If you want to say that Amare is better at getting to the foul line than Jefferson I will give you that, but I don't think it is what we are looking for out of the center on the rockets

'Almost Identical' stats-wise, but Amare's jumpshot and ability to create his own shot from 15 feet out is way better. Also, he's a better finisher off the P&R.

Which is why they thought Melo/Amar'e would work; that because of AMar'es ability to spread the floor, they'd have room enough to both do their thing and operate from the midrange and around the hoop.

They was wrong, Rondo. THEY WAS WRRRRRRONG!

« Reply #184 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ho Hum...

When do the Cavs get to beat some team's butt so we can take on the Knicks and be beaten by IP's obvious bias.

« Reply #185 on: February 29, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

They are almost identical players except Amare averages 3 more shots per game and Al is a better rebounder.  If you want to say that Amare is better at getting to the foul line than Jefferson I will give you that, but I don't think it is what we are looking for out of the center on the rockets

'Almost Identical' stats-wise, but Amare's jumpshot and ability to create his own shot from 15 feet out is way better. Also, he's a better finisher off the P&R.

Which is why they thought Melo/Amar'e would work; that because of AMar'es ability to spread the floor, they'd have room enough to both do their thing and operate from the midrange and around the hoop.

They was wrong, Rondo. THEY WAS WRRRRRRONG!

Exactly, they were wrong that two high usage players that rely on creating their own shots off the dribble couldnt co-exist, let me ask you, what was one of the common refrains when the celts werent doing great at time in 07-09.  "why won't KG go down on the block and post up????" and while we know that Kevin wasnt that type of player, that is the kind of offensive theat that you need when you have a guy that generates assists at a high rate, a guy that shoots the 3 at a high rate and a SF who can create his own shot all on the court together
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #186 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Al Jefferson's USG rate this season is 27%. Amar'e's last seaosn was 30.

Al Jefferson is not a 'low usage player'.

And Al Jefferson, despite all his post-move wonderment, only had a 51% TS%. And Carmelo Anthony, because of his high USG rate, has never had a post player play next to him for a full season who averaged more than 15 PPG.

Although, one year Melo only averaged 22, and Nene and Kenyon Martin both had solid years. Not great years, but solid.

« Reply #187 on: February 29, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Question for you guys:

Basketball reasons only - would you rather start a team with Monta Ellis or Carmelo Anthony

« Reply #188 on: February 29, 2012, 11:16:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Question for you guys:

Basketball reasons only - would you rather start a team with Monta Ellis or Carmelo Anthony

Melo.

« Reply #189 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Question for you guys:

Melo.

Monta.

« Reply #190 on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Question for you guys:

Melo.

Monta.

Melo because he has size and a true position.  Also as a teams best player he has never missed the playoffs.

« Reply #191 on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:33 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Matchup 4:

Orlando Magic (3, H) V Indiana Pacers (6, A)
Jrue Holiday V Brandon Jennings
Joe Johnson V Paul George
Shawn Marion V Wilson Chandler
Amar’e Stoudemire V Derrick Williams
Kurt Thomas V Tyson Chandler
--BENCH—
Mo Williams V JJ Barea
Ronnie Brewer V Daequan Cook
OJ Mayo V Mikey Pietrus
Gustavo Ayon V Charlie Villanueva
Nikola Vucevic V Bismack Biyombo

Key Match-Up: Amar’e Stoudemire V Tyson Chandler
Chandler and Stoudemire have actually played each other quite a bit, due to Chandler being in the WC with NOR, and Stoudemire being with Phoenix. Stat makes Chandler foul like crazy, and Chandler only moderately bothers Stat for all the trouble.

Key Match-Up: STAT V Biyombo
In a year, maybe three, this matchup has the potential to define the series the same way Shawn Marion’s defense of LeBron during the Finals defines that one. Biyombo has a near-identical height. Likely better athleticism at this point, and all the effort and motor 5 fouls will allow him. I think he’ll do a decent job for a rook, but Stat is the best frontcourt scorer in the NBA (I still believe this…call me crazy, its okay) and he’s out of Melo’s shadow here. He’ll use his veteran wiles and still pretty decent first step to work Biyombo over.

Key Match-Up: Paul George V Joe Johnson
This is why StartOrien drafted Paul George. Well, he drafted him because the hairdoll, fan-fiction series (critically acclaimed, I might add), and the web-series ‘By Geroge, I Think He Shot It!’ just wasn’t enough to get him through the day anymore, so he made sure to pick the Pacers and pick Paul George as a keeper as well. But this is also a reason why: Because Paul George will mitigate Joe Johnson’s offensive efficacy. Joe Johnson is so effective because he’s smart, he’s a talented ballhandler for a swingman (that came out wrong.), and he’s bigger/stronger than just about any 2-guard they can stick on him. Well, Paul George could do with some carb-loading and P90x, but he’s still 6’10, and quick/strong enough to check Joe Johnson. George is still a work in progress, and this is by no means a ‘win’ for Indy, but the last time these two played each other big minutes, Joe Johnson shot 35% from the field.

Other Starters’ Matchups: Derrick Williams is looking a bit like the PIMP we all knew he was gonna be. Next year, this is an easy win for DW (yes, instead of Derrick Williams, I’m thinking Darkwing Duck), but until he shows some real consistency, this is still a big win for Marion/STAT (when Stat is there). Wilson Chandler (assuming he ever gets his crap together) will own whoever they put at the 3. It’s a very clear advantage Pacers. I like Jrue Holiday over Brandon Jennings by a pretty wide margin, and the numbers back that up.

Bench Matchups: Big win for the Magic, not really worth getting in to.

How I see it going down: The Magic are a pretty darn solid ball-club, but I think (Wilson Chandler notwithstanding) that this will be closer than even the Pacers’ GM thinks it will be. I think because of the young nature of the Pacers, and their reliance on a streaky scoring PG and streaky shooting SG for a decent amount of scoring (and a Rookie, don’t forget about the rookie!), that there is a chance this goes sour south. If they get demoralized in the first two games I don’t think they’d recover. But, I think as long as the Pacers can keep the first two games within throwing distance (as in, feeling like they ‘had a shot’ to win both games), when they bring it home I wouldn’t be surprised if the series went back to Orlando tied 2-2. I see the series going 6 games dependant on some inspired play from Derrick Williams, but ultimately it’s a Magic win.

MAGIC IN 6.

« Reply #192 on: February 29, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
One thing with Biyombo - even as a rookie, I think Amare's the type of player that he could play very well against. Biyombo's biggest problem right now is that he doesn't understand how to defend the post in the NBA and has a propensity for getting in foul trouble there.

That's obviously not as big of a problem with Amare, who generally stays away from the block. Exactly where Biyombo does his most damage. Being defensive minded, and being faster and stronger than Amare, Bismack could give Amare fits.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:42:57 AM by StartOrien »

« Reply #193 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
One thing with Biyombo - even as a rookie, I think Amare's the type of player that he could play very well against. Biyombo's biggest problem right now is that he doesn't understand how to defend the post in the NBA and has a propensity for getting in foul trouble there.

That's obviously not as big of a problem with Amare, who generally stays away from doing his work on the block. Exactly where Biyombo does his most damage.

I think in the future, that's a real pastability. Right meow, I'm not buying that Biyombo can check Amar'e more than 20% of the time he's asked to.

« Reply #194 on: February 29, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

That's obviously not as big of a problem with Amare, who generally stays away from doing his work on the block. Exactly where Biyombo does his most damage.

I think in the future, that's a real pastability. Right meow, I'm not buying that Biyombo can check Amar'e more than 20% of the time he's asked to.

Than it shall be Kwame Brown - Amare killer.