Author Topic: IP Ranks The Pick-Two Teams By Divison (All Divisions Are Up)  (Read 94473 times)

Re: IP Ranks The Pick-Two Teams By Divison (All Divisions Are Up)
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2012, 11:26:38 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Been lurking for a while, had to jump in here. No way a LeBron team gets swept when no one on the opposing team can stop him from doing whatever he pleases.  Jefferson gets zero help defense from those bigs.

SA definitely takes the series, LeBron takes 1 game by himself, maaaaybe two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NBA_Finals

A lot has changed in five years, and while I respect the stats you showed displaying Lebron's - let's say lack of success - I still say he steals a game in this series.

Yeah he's just a more efficent player now, and up against a Spurs team that doesn't have the defensive grit (i.e. Bowen) that it had back then.

A surrounding rotation of Big Z/Sideshow/Gooden/Pavs/Hughes/Gibson/Damon Jones/Eric Snow

vs

Mullens/Landry/Big Baby/Battier/Reddick/S. Brown/Collison/Blake

The two surrounding casts actually seem eerily familiar...like, so familiar that i almost feel some sympathy for Bron Bron again.

I think that Cavs Finals team is significantly better. This is 5 yrs ago Big Z, when he was at his best. A real post-presence, especially defensively. Also, that was Gooden's breakout year (he got paid after that IIRC), and Larry Hughes's last run at respectability.

I'm not sure about "significantly."

Hughes was still respectable, but he was playing waaay too many minutes for what he could still do.  I think Reddick is a better fit compared to 06/07 Hughes, though admittedly i'm not sure how Hughes looked defensively.  Add Battier to the mix and that should be even, if not an edge for the Suns.

And i'll take Collison/Brown/Blake over the rest of the CLE backcourt hands down.  Eric Snow.

'06 Gooden/Verajao vs Landry/Davis is pretty close really, but Verajao's defense gives the edge to CLE.

The Big mismatch is Z vs Mullins.  Yes Mullins can start for the worst team in the NBA, but he doesn't belong next to Lebron.

The center position alone makes this an edge CLE, but i don't think it's by a huge margin.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2012, 11:27:20 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I'll take a look at switch's team around noon and give a breakdown of how I sees it.

« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
'06 Gooden/Verajao vs Landry/Davis is pretty close really, but Verajao's defense gives the edge to CLE.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=goodedr01&y1=2007&p2=varejan01&y2=2007&p3=davisgl01&y3=2012&p4=landrca01&y4=2012

Also Gooden/Varejao both had better seasons with regards to efficiency and consistency. And they're both taller, and WAYYYY better as a tandem than Landy/Davis.

EDIT: I meant they're better defensively, but they're all-around better if you had to play both at the same time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=goodedr01&y1=2007&p2=varejan01&y2=2007&p3=davisgl01&y3=2012&p4=landrca01&y4=2012

Also Gooden/Varejao both had better seasons with regards to efficiency and consistency. And they're both taller, and WAYYYY better as a tandem than Landy/Davis.

EDIT: I meant they're better defensively, but they're all-around better if you had to play both at the same time.

Oh yeah Gooden/Varejao is a much better fit.  I would take that CLE tandem myself, and i'm also in the camp that thinks drew gooden is a better player then he gets credit for.

To me though, the Gooden/Landry battle is pretty much a wash.  And i think playing next to Lebron would only help Landry's case.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=landrca01&p2=goodedr01

But this year has really shown how good Varejao can be and how bad Baby can be.  You can't ask for a complimentary player for either Gooden or Landry than Varejao.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Indiana Pacers

PG - Brandon Jennings, JJ Barea, Gilbert Arenas
SG - Paul George, Daequan Cook
SF - Wilson Chandler, Mickael Pietrus
PF - Derrick Williams, Charlie Villanueva, JaJuan Johnson
C  - Tyson Chandler, Bismack Biyombo, Kwame Brown

vs

Orlando Magic

PG - Jrue Holiday, Mo Williams, Beno Udrih
SG - Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, OJ Mayo
SF - Shawn Marion, Tracy McGrady
PF - Amare Stoudemire, Gustavo Ayon
C  - Kurt Thomas, Nikola Vucevic, Cole Aldrich

I'd like to put up a better argument, but I think the Magic take this. Probably in an easy 5, maybe 6 game series. I really, really like my team's overall defense, but I think Amare Stoudemire is the type of scorer than can exploit us. Draws Chandler more consistently away from the paint and he's really had his number as of late.

And while I'd like to think we could exploit their front court with speed and being able to stretch the 4, dropping Marion to the 4 and Amare to the 5 pretty much counters that. Brewer if they need the d, Mayo if they need the o. Youch.

I was serious in saying that I think the Pacers could take both the Heat and the Knicks in a 7 game series, unfortunately the Orlando Magic's flexibility is just way too much for us. Our tactical advantages are pretty much nullified.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:27:28 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:05 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
Indiana Pacers

vs

Orlando Magic

I'd like to put up a better argument, but I think the Magic take this. Probably in an easy 5, maybe 6 game series. I really, really like my team's overall defense, but I think Amare Stoudemire is the type of scorer than can exploit us. Draws Chandler more consistently away from the paint and he's really had his number as of late.

And while I'd like to think we could exploit their front court with speed and being able to stretch the 4, dropping Marion to the 4 and Amare to the 5 pretty much counters that. Brewer if they need the d, Mayo if they need the o. Youch.

I was serious in saying that I think the Pacers could take both the Heat and the Knicks in a 7 game series, unfortunately the Orlando Magic's flexibility is just way too much for us. Our tactical advantages are pretty much nullified.

So much for making IP's morning more amusing. Now he's going to have to pick SO's Pacers to win and SO will have to argue about how his team loses and IP is wrong. This actually will be amusing. :D
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Indiana Pacers

vs

Orlando Magic

So much for making IP's morning more amusing. Now he's going to have to pick SO's Pacers to win and SO will have to argue about how his team loses and IP is wrong. This actually will be amusing. :D

I'm all for debate, but there just isn't one here. I build this team to have an obvious strategical advantage, and the flexibility the Magic have (alongside Amare being a terrible matchup)  is just too much for us. Play the series 10 times, they're going to win it 10.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:48:43 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2012, 02:40:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rumor has it Wilson Chandler is headed to Italy because he doesn't want to return to Denver this year and will play in Italy to keep in shape for next season

Chandler has until Thursday to receive an offer sheet from another team — he met with Toronto last week but hasn't been made an offer. After Thursday, the only NBA team he could play for this season is Denver.

So if Chandler doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Nuggets, he won't play in the NBA until next fall. At that point, Chandler will have either re-signed long term with Denver in the summer or ended up elsewhere.

Luchey said "we're considering all options" and that it's realistic that Chandler could sign with a professional team in Italy this spring, in order to stay in shape and make some money. Chandler played in China during the NBA lockout and returned to the States this month.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_20058056?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-nuggets+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Nuggets%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2012, 02:41:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Rumor has it Wilson Chandler is headed to Italy because he doesn't want to return to Denver this year and will play in Italy to keep in shape for next season

Chandler has until Thursday to receive an offer sheet from another team — he met with Toronto last week but hasn't been made an offer. After Thursday, the only NBA team he could play for this season is Denver.

So if Chandler doesn't sign a long-term deal with the Nuggets, he won't play in the NBA until next fall. At that point, Chandler will have either re-signed long term with Denver in the summer or ended up elsewhere.

Luchey said "we're considering all options" and that it's realistic that Chandler could sign with a professional team in Italy this spring, in order to stay in shape and make some money. Chandler played in China during the NBA lockout and returned to the States this month.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_20058056?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-nuggets+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Nuggets%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Woof. Should've put the Nets in. Never trust Start Orien with ANYTHING!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2012, 02:50:17 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

He'll be fine, Slide Derick williams to the 3 and start Charlie V.

« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I'm sorry I didn't forecast that Wilson Chandler has the world's worst agent? What in the world has that guy been doing?

« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Also, this rumor doesn't make sense, right? Why not just sign a one year deal and play in the NBA to "stay in shape"?

EDIT: Where in the wold are the Nets here? Guys perfect for them
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:10:50 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
Oh wait, forgot they got Gerald Green.

« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Did I just read Larry Hughes had a run at respectability.

hehehehehehehe

That's funny. There was never anything respectable about Larry Hughes game. :D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:15:45 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Did I just read Larry Hughes has a run at respectability.

hehehehehehehe

That's funny. There was never anything respectable about Larry Hughes game. :D

Larry Hughes' biggest contribution to NBA basketball:  getting drafted 8th by Philadelphia, so that Dirk could go to Dallas and Pierce could go to Boston.  Imagine how NBA history would have changed if the Sixers made a sensible pick.  We'd probably still be rebuilding.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes