Author Topic: Celtics were close to signing David West  (Read 136865 times)

Re: Celtics close to signing David West
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2011, 12:10:38 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Crazy!

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
West
KG

I don't know if Doc would ever actually make that his starting lineup, but, my goodness, talk about surrounding Rondo with shooters.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2011, 12:10:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is great news for KG, too - he's got the best backup PF in the league to spell him during the compressed season.
Second best. I prefer Lamar Odom to David West.

I know he played at URI but come on. West is a more solid defender and plays within himself. Lamar Odom (like Gasol)is very skilled; but lacks toughness. Rather have West.
Lamar is a very good defender, a much better defender than David West. Especially if West is slowed at allmy injury.

« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2011, 12:11:47 AM »

Offline WW1MR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
Well of course Ainge is stockpiling pf's and cp3's allstar teammate. center and pf spots covered by committee this year (kg, Bass, Greg Stiemsma, David West, JuJuan Johnson, and use MMLE on another center or Rip or something).

Ainge maintains ability to flip rondo and J. Green/picks at deadline for cp3... gets start of season to see if cp3 is hobbled by knee, if Green can realize his potential, and if Rondo improved his free throws over the lockout.

At end of season we have more $, more talent, and a WIDE OPEN starting center spot to entice Dwight Howard.

rondo or cp3
allen (resign vet min)/Daniels or Moore
pierce maybe green
west, kg (resign for min), Johnson
Howard, Bass or Stiemsma

by picking up Bass and West we know for sure Ainge has been doing a lot of talking to orlando and New orleans. Coincidence? I think not! ;)

edit: forgot, we signed Wilcox as well
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:20:33 AM by WW1MR »
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you..." (R. Kipling)

« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2011, 12:12:28 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Is it possible that we keep JO and trade some combination of Bass, Bradley, Moore, Johnson, and picks?  New Orleans wants cheap, young talent.  Is this possible or do we have to trade JO?  I know Green can refuse any trade if he signed a QO.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2011, 12:12:56 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
This is great news for KG, too - he's got the best backup PF in the league to spell him during the compressed season.

I know he played at URI but come on. West is a more solid defender and plays within himself. Lamar Odom (like Gasol)is very skilled; but lacks toughness. Rather have West.
Lamar is a very good defender, a much better defender than David West. Especially if West is slowed at allmy injury.
And in addition to being a far superior defender, Odom is a much better rebounder, ball-handler and passer.

David West is the superior scorer by a hefty margin.

« Reply #185 on: December 10, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Even if West doesn't attract Howard or the like, I love how Danny is acquiring talent.

Having talent was what got us Ray and KG.  

« Reply #186 on: December 10, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2991
always admired David Wests tuff style all out play , but I'm worried if he can still play to same level I'm used to seeing ....I haven't seen any recent video of him.   Just wish for a good 7' center to anchor all these pieces.  

« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2011, 12:15:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

And in addition to being a far superior defender, Odom is a much better rebounder, ball-handler and passer.

Both are pouty annoying players to watch at times.

Odom is a front runner can be intimidated or knocked off his game if it's going bad. West is pouty, a little dirty, and an instigator. KG and him will annoy the hell out of other teams.

« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2011, 12:16:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Our offense has gotten a big upgrade with Bass and West if this happens.

« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2011, 12:17:13 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Says he can't jump on the home page, and that he might be rehabbing all year.... Im hoping these are all false rumors

« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2011, 12:18:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I wouldn't call Odom a "much better" defender, by any stretch.

According to synergy sports, West was better than Odom overall in terms of points allowed per possession.  He was much better in isolation defense situations, and was nearly equal in the post (both were very good).  West was better in defending the pick-and-roll, and he allowed fewer points per possession on spot ups.  

Pretty much, West measured out as equal or better across the board.  Taking into account that 1) West was defending starters while Odom was often matched up against bench players, and 2) that West played on the inferior team defense, it becomes clear to me that not only was Odom not "much better" than West, he was actually inferior.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2011, 12:19:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Says he can't jump on the home page, and that he might be rehabbing all year.... Im hoping these are all false rumors

The Celtics will have him take a physical first.

I am concerned about his knee but it's worth the risk, especially with the option to stretch him if it doesn't work.

« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyone have any info on the Von Wafer s&t to Orlando we made?

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/12/10/2625355/nba-rumors-magic-von-wafer-celtics-trade
Part of the BBD deal we did

Yeah, technically a separate transaction, as Wafer fit into Orlando's Rashard Lewis trade exception.  Put through at the same time, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes