Author Topic: Rondo's Game 1  (Read 9632 times)

Rondo's Game 1
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:19:18 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
What are everyone's thoughts on Rondo's Game 1?

Interesting line, that's for sure.

5-14 from the field for 10 points, 9 rebounds, 9 assists, +2 overall, 0-2 from the line.

I thought he struggled in the first half for sure and got into a bit of a rhythm in the second.

The Knicks weren't even guarding him in the second half - Jeffries was above the free throw line when Rondo was at the top of the key. He's got to take better advantage of that. Overall though, he was aggressive, which was nice - but his inability to hit a jumper is continuing to bring down the overall offense.

Defensively, he was his pesky and aggressive self, no? That was nice to see.

Re: Rondo's Game 1
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think it was worst almost triple double game I have seen in my life.  His floor game was awful in the 4th Qtr.  Those two turnovers on long baseball passes are unacceptable and then when he should have pushed it he just punded the ball into the floor.  I wont even start with his shooting.  His ball pressure onb D was good though.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:24:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
He wasnt stellar but he was awful... The only thing that irks me about the stat line is 14 shots... Unless 11 - 12 of those are shots going to the basket driving, thats too many for him. Plus, the box score only credits him with 1 TO... Really?

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:25:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Definitely a very underwhelming triple double.  He had some shining moments, but overall I wasn't particularly impressed with how Rondo played.  A couple bad passes late almost cost us the game.  I really wish he would attack the rim more.  Ronnie Turiaf and Amare Stoudemire should not be enough to deter Rondo from attacking and finishing at the rim. 

If Rose can shoot 20 free throws in a game Rondo should be able to shoot at least 10.  I don't care if he only makes 5 of them (and I think he'll make more once he gets into a rhythm), he needs to use his speed to put the other team on their heels and get bigs in foul trouble.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I thought he was awful all game. The only thing he did well tonight was get his nose dirty on the boards.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I thought he was solid. People are probably going to overreact on the last two bad passes he made, but I thought he was aggressive all night. Really active on the glass and was good defensively.

For the most part I thought he was taking advantage of what the defense gave him and was knocking down the jumper early on. Couldn't finish on some of his lay ups, but that should get better.

Overall, pretty nice game from him. Would like to see him attack the rim more going foward though.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:07 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
10 points on 14 shots is horrific. No matter how many jumpers he makes no one is ever going to cover him out there. They are all laying off taking away the curls on the high screens.

I do not understand how he can have 1 turnover in the box score. The two wildly unnecessary home run passes (especially the one with 50 seconds left and the game tied - yikes) were both on him and he forced a number of passes under the rim, one to JO that there was no way a big man could catch and we lost it out of bounds.

I liked his energy though, came back on the boards and played with energy defensively.

I do not know what the solution is to everyone employing the ignore rondo defense. He would have to hit 60% of those shots to really make a team regret doing it and that is not going to happen....

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:33 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
I thought he was solid. People are probably going to overreact on the last two bad passes he made, but I thought he was aggressive all night. Really active on the glass and was good defensively.

For the most part I thought he was taking advantage of what the defense gave him and was knocking down the jumper early on. Couldn't finish on some of his lay ups, but that should get better.

Overall, pretty nice game from him. Would like to see him attack the rim more going foward though.
Really?

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
A mixed bag. Very up and down.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1826
I thought he was OK at best. Liked his jumpers, liked him pushing the ball. Hated how careless he was a times with the ball, hated how he still doesn't punish teams for not defending him and it really hurts us, particularly in the first half. Hated how he kept missing Ray open at the 3 point line in transition.

But good to see him playing with energy.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63
People are probably going to overreact on the last two bad passes he made,

Overreact? Throwing the ball away in a tie game with 50 seconds left after you get a stop is totally unacceptable. Especially when your number one asset is your basketball IQ.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday
I thought he was OK at best. Liked his jumpers, liked him pushing the ball. Hated how careless he was a times with the ball, hated how he still doesn't punish teams for not defending him and it really hurts us, particularly in the first half. Hated how he kept missing Ray open at the 3 point line in transition.

But good to see him playing with energy.
So thats 3 hates?  :)

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 11:32:35 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215

Really?

Yup...like I said I thought he could attack the rim more consistently, but he was solid. Not great by his standards, but not horrible.

Sorry, I am not going to base how he played on the last two minutes of the game.

Overreact? Throwing the ball away in a tie game with 50 seconds left after you get a stop is totally unacceptable. Especially when your number one asset is your basketball IQ.

I'm not saying it wasn't bad, did I? It was obviously not a good decision, but prior to that I thought he was playing pretty well.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 11:33:08 PM »

Offline jv2764

• Jrue Holiday

AMEN AMEN AMEN.  Thats just unacceptable.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 11:35:36 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
The two passes in the last two minutes of the game were bad - but overall though, it's the 5-14 that's more concerning. Additionally, not getting to the line (and missing the two free throws he did get when he got there) is killer.

The next game - the Knicks will barely factor in Rondo on the defensive end. Will they need to? Rondo will seriously need to take advantage of that.