Author Topic: 2011 NFL Football  (Read 82018 times)

Re: 2011 NFL Football
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
This Chicago Bears team is slowly starting to grow on me.

They've been putting it together the past few weeks.  Already up 7-0 on the Lions right now. Forced 2 turnovers so far. 

I'm liking the Texans.  They look like, perhaps, the most complete team in the AFC.  They have defense, passing, rushing, and plenty of experience.  The only issue I see is that they've had a pretty easy schedule so far.

The Bears are coming together, too, but it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll have to be a Wild Card in order to make the playoffs.

I'm still not sold on the Texans altough they are starting to look like a team that will get one of the 2 byes in the AFC.  Their schedule is very favorable down the stretch.  Part of that is the benefit of playing in a dog division. 

Agreed on Chicago.  No one is catching GB in the central.  Could easily see something like a Bears-Giants matchup on Wild Card weekend (aka the Battle of the Mods).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why do teams still kick to Devin Hester?  ???

Another punt return TD.

« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
This Chicago Bears team is slowly starting to grow on me.

They've been putting it together the past few weeks.  Already up 7-0 on the Lions right now. Forced 2 turnovers so far. 

I'm liking the Texans.  They look like, perhaps, the most complete team in the AFC.  They have defense, passing, rushing, and plenty of experience.  The only issue I see is that they've had a pretty easy schedule so far.

The Bears are coming together, too, but it's pretty much a guarantee that they'll have to be a Wild Card in order to make the playoffs.

I'm still not sold on the Texans altough they are starting to look like a team that will get one of the 2 byes in the AFC.  Their schedule is very favorable down the stretch.  Part of that is the benefit of playing in a dog division. 

Agreed on Chicago.  No one is catching GB in the central.  Could easily see something like a Bears-Giants matchup on Wild Card weekend (aka the Battle of the Mods).

the main difference with the Texans this year is their defense.  it's one of the best in the league, after being a liability in previous seasons.  Wade Phillips has made a huge difference for them as their new defensive coordinator.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Baltimore....Wow.  Letdown.

AFC is wide-open.

« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2011, 07:14:16 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
I get the sense that both the Lions and the Bills are finding that teams are much better prepared for them now that there's plenty of video available on which to form a game plan.

Wouldn't be surprised if neither of those surprising teams makes the playoffs.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Why do teams still kick to Devin Hester?  ???

Another punt return TD.

Probably the worst coaching decision of the Lovie Smith era was when they took him off punt / kick returns.  This guy is such a weapon.  Without a doubt, the best kick returner of all-time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Big win for the bears today.  I can't figure that team out.  Sometimes they look like they can't get out of their own way, sometimes they look dominant.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
Big win for the bears today.  I can't figure that team out.  Sometimes they look like they can't get out of their own way, sometimes they look dominant.

i fallen in love with cutler......

« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2011, 08:50:22 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

so much comes down to whether the o-line can protect cutler, in my opinion.  when that o-line is playing well, they have a good running game and a quasi-elite QB.  when they're giving up sacks and failing to create holes for Forte to run through, they are a very beatable team.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #159 on: November 14, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Wow, the Texans can't seem to catch a break.  For once they have a year where they look like a very formidable playoff team, and it came out today that Schaub has a significant foot injury and will miss a few weeks, perhaps a handful of games.

On the flip side, Matt Leinart gets yet another shot at being a starting NFL quarterback.

This also means the Patriots still have a chance at the #1 seed in the AFC, given their easy schedule.  Finishing 12-4 or 13-3 might be good enough to have home field in the playoffs.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow, the Texans can't seem to catch a break.  For once they have a year where they look like a very formidable playoff team, and it came out today that Schaub has a significant foot injury and will miss a few weeks, perhaps a handful of games.

On the flip side, Matt Leinart gets yet another shot at being a starting NFL quarterback.

This also means the Patriots still have a chance at the #1 seed in the AFC, given their easy schedule.  Finishing 12-4 or 13-3 might be good enough to have home field in the playoffs.

13-3 will definitely get home field in the AFC.  There are five teams in the AFC right now with only 3 losses.  PIT, CIN, and BAL all have remaining games against one or both of the other two teams so that will weed itself out.  Out of the five, I'm not sure anyone is going to run the table to get to 13-3.

Both Pats & Texans have the easiest remaining schedules on paper.  

I wouldn't be shocked at all if 12-4 gets the #1 seed and its either HOU or NE.  

Steelers have an upward battle since they lost their season series to the Ravens.  Pats lose the tiebreaker to PIT but if the Steelers don't win their own the division and the Pats win the AFC East, it's not going to matter.

Depending on the severity of the Schaub injury, I actually think Houston might have the inside track on the top seed although if they finish with the same record as BAL and BAL wins the AFC Central, Ravens get the #1 seed because of H2H. (Taking NE out of the equation and divisional record tiebreaker)

« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2011, 06:14:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

This also means the Patriots still have a chance at the #1 seed in the AFC, given their easy schedule.  Finishing 12-4 or 13-3 might be good enough to have home field in the playoffs.

13-3 will definitely get home field in the AFC.  There are five teams in the AFC right now with only 3 losses.  PIT, CIN, and BAL all have remaining games against one or both of the other two teams so that will weed itself out.  Out of the five, I'm not sure anyone is going to run the table to get to 13-3.

Steelers have an upward battle since they lost their season series to the Ravens.  Pats lose the tiebreaker to PIT but if the Steelers don't win their own the division and the Pats win the AFC East, it's not going to matter.

Depending on the severity of the Schaub injury, I actually think Houston might have the inside track on the top seed although if they finish with the same record as BAL and BAL wins the AFC Central, Ravens get the #1 seed because of H2H. (Taking NE out of the equation and divisional record tiebreaker)

The heck with that.

If Schaub is out for the year and Leinart is starting, that team is done in regards to HFA.

« Reply #162 on: November 14, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

The heck with that.

If Schaub is out for the year and Leinart is starting, that team is done in regards to HFA.

Yeah, the Texans might not even be guaranteed a playoff spot now even with the sad state of the division.  The Titans are not a very good team, but even so I'll take the team with the elite or psuedo-elite QB over the one without one.  Hasselbeck is still pretty good even if the Titans aren't.

Real shame . . . I like the Texans.  They really can't catch a break.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:23:01 PM by PosImpos »

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #163 on: November 14, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25589
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Real shame . . . I like the Texans.  They really can't catch a break.

Between Schaub and Williams, plus the lingering injury to Johnson, it's been terrible for them.  I agree it's a shame; they're a fun team to watch, and they're strong on both sides of the ball when healthy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I plan to be a Tebow fan tonight when Denver faces the Jets. Not a fan of Tebow, but, as a Pats fan (living in NY), I absolutely can't stand the Jets.
Celtics fan for life.