Author Topic: 2011 NFL Football  (Read 82021 times)

Re: 2011 NFL Football
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
This year's quarterback class is turning into a fairly decent one.  Newton & Dalton are getting the bulk of the headlines but I thought Ponder looked alright yesterday making his first career headstart against the defending Super Bowl champs.  Gabbert's had his struggles but still shown some promise also.

Yeah, they are definitely looking good.  Although I wouldn't get too excited yet.  I remember being really excited about Bradford and McCoy early last year too. 

I think it is getting easier for talented QBs to have success early, as offenses dumb down their playbooks, and defenses don't yet have books on them.  What sets apart the really good ones is how they react, once the training-wheels come off, and when teams start really gameplanning for them.

I think when all is said & done, this draft class will go down as better than last year's. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This year's quarterback class is turning into a fairly decent one.  Newton & Dalton are getting the bulk of the headlines but I thought Ponder looked alright yesterday making his first career headstart against the defending Super Bowl champs.  Gabbert's had his struggles but still shown some promise also.

Yeah, they are definitely looking good.  Although I wouldn't get too excited yet.  I remember being really excited about Bradford and McCoy early last year too. 

I think it is getting easier for talented QBs to have success early, as offenses dumb down their playbooks, and defenses don't yet have books on them.  What sets apart the really good ones is how they react, once the training-wheels come off, and when teams start really gameplanning for them.

I think when all is said & done, this draft class will go down as better than last year's. 

I think so too, just pointing out how quickly perceptions can change on these guys.

The most interesting guy is obviously going to be Newton though.  He clearly has a ton of talent.  The question for him though, will be whether he can find the balance between using his legs and his arm, while not getting himself killed. 

« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2011, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think so too, just pointing out how quickly perceptions can change on these guys.

The most interesting guy is obviously going to be Newton though.  He clearly has a ton of talent.  The question for him though, will be whether he can find the balance between using his legs and his arm, while not getting himself killed. 

I'll put it this way.  I have much more confidence in Newton's future than a certain other young mobile QB who is starting these days and wears orange & navy blue.

« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'll put it this way.  I have much more confidence in Newton's future than a certain other young mobile QB who is starting these days and wears orange & navy blue.

Well, that's not saying a whole lot.  But I think there is at least a feeling with Newton, that if he can stay healthy, there is no doubt he will be at LEAST an average QB, and will have a chance to be great.  I don't think Tebow (or a lot of other guys) have such a high floor for their talent.

So, the question is whether he can reach his cieling...and when you get to asking that question, this early in his rookie year, it is definitely a good sign.

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Well, that's not saying a whole lot.  But I think there is at least a feeling with Newton, that if he can stay healthy, there is no doubt he will be at LEAST an average QB, and will have a chance to be great.  I don't think Tebow (or a lot of other guys) have such a high floor for their talent.

So, the question is whether he can reach his cieling...and when you get to asking that question, this early in his rookie year, it is definitely a good sign.

I have to admit that I completely underestimated Newton. He's been much better than anticipated so far this year.

I'm not sold on Tebow.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
My top five teams right now.

1.  Green Bay Packers
2.  New England Patriots
3.  Baltimore Ravens
4.  New Orleans Saints
5.  San Francisco 49ers

I don't think San Francisco will be there much longer but I'll give them credit for the 5-1 start.  Still interested to see who rises to the top in the NFC East.  Right now, I could see any of the Dallas, New York, Philly triumverante finishing on top.   I don't know what's worse; NFC West or AFC South. Does anyone actually want to win the AFC West?

« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

1.  Green Bay Packers
2.  New England Patriots
3.  Baltimore Ravens
4.  New Orleans Saints
5.  San Francisco 49ers

I don't think San Francisco will be there much longer but I'll give them credit for the 5-1 start.  Still interested to see who rises to the top in the NFC East.  Right now, I could see any of the Dallas, New York, Philly triumverante finishing on top.   I don't know what's worse; NFC West or AFC South. Does anyone actually want to win the AFC West?

I am curious to see where the Lions shake out.  They have taken a step back the last couple weeks, but I think they are for real.  With their d-line, they could do some real damage in the playoffs.

« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

1.  Green Bay Packers
2.  New England Patriots
3.  Baltimore Ravens
4.  New Orleans Saints
5.  San Francisco 49ers

I am curious to see where the Lions shake out.  They have taken a step back the last couple weeks, but I think they are for real.  With their d-line, they could do some real damage in the playoffs.

I certainly think they're a wild card team if they remain healthy.  They'll be fighting for that wild card, though, with the NFC East runner up and probably Atlanta.  They still have Green Bay twice, New Orleans, and San Diego lingering on their schedule.  If everything shakes out for them, I could see them winning a wild card game and making the divisional playoffs. 

I think the NFC will pan out something like this:

1.  Green Bay
2.  New Orleans
3.  Philly/Dallas/NYG
4.  San Francisco
5.  Detroit Lions/Atlanta Falcons
6.  Philly/Dallas/NYG

« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

1.  Green Bay Packers
2.  New England Patriots
3.  Baltimore Ravens
4.  New Orleans Saints
5.  San Francisco 49ers

I certainly think they're a wild card team if they remain healthy.  They'll be fighting for that wild card, though, with the NFC East runner up and probably Atlanta.  They still have Green Bay twice, New Orleans, and San Diego lingering on their schedule.  If everything shakes out for them, I could see them winning a wild card game and making the divisional playoffs. 

I think the NFC will pan out something like this:

1.  Green Bay
2.  New Orleans
3.  Philly/Dallas/NYG
4.  San Francisco
5.  Detroit Lions/Atlanta Falcons
6.  Philly/Dallas/NYG

While that may be how they go into the playoffs, I would take Detroit over every team there other than Green Bay (who I think they could give some trouble), and as a tossup with New Orleans.

« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't see the NFC East getting a wild card team, I think they'll beat up on each other and Philly has already dug too big of a hole in all likelyhood. So just the division winner will be in the playoffs. The NFC West is 3 bad teams and one good team so they won't have a second team.

I think the two wildcards will come in some combination from the NFC North and NFC South.

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
While that may be how they go into the playoffs, I would take Detroit over every team there other than Green Bay (who I think they could give some trouble), and as a tossup with New Orleans.
I'm curious if Detroit will be able to address their offensive line and running game issues. Stafford is a QB that needs a lot of protection if he's going to be effective. (Even then he's missed enough wide open recievers that I'm begining to doubt him long term)

« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm curious if Detroit will be able to address their offensive line and running game issues. Stafford is a QB that needs a lot of protection if he's going to be effective. (Even then he's missed enough wide open recievers that I'm begining to doubt him long term)

I can see them winning a home playoff game at Ford Field in the wild card round but I have a hard time seeing them win a playoff game on the road against a team like Green Bay or even New Orleans.  Although, we'll get a glimpse of both matchups in the regular season.

I think they're a year or two away from true contention but they're on the right track.  They need to keep Stafford healthy, though.

« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

1.  Green Bay Packers
2.  New England Patriots
3.  Baltimore Ravens
4.  New Orleans Saints
5.  San Francisco 49ers

awww man..

been hard these last two weeks..

i can name a few problems but the D has been why we got off to a good start and should take us far toward the end...

« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

1.  Green Bay Packers
2.  New England Patriots
3.  Baltimore Ravens
4.  New Orleans Saints
5.  San Francisco 49ers

awww man..

been hard these last two weeks..

i can name a few problems but the D has been why we got off to a good start and should take us far toward the end...
They've thrived on takeaways (+10 TO margin) but turnovers are a highly volatile stat defenses typically can't rely on it.

I see an explosive passing attack but they need to protect Stafford better, which given their line and RB situation will be tough.

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is it me or has Monday Night Football produced some real duds this season?

This has to be one of the worst MNF slates they've ever had.