Author Topic: Rondo making a late case for MVP?  (Read 15542 times)

Rondo making a late case for MVP?
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:44 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I don't put much stock into Power Rankings, or anything like that, but I find them fun to read sometimes.  With that said, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rondo showing up still as an MVP candidate.

I know he won't be able to push past the major MVP candidates, but I just read on NBA.com an article, and the author put Rondo in 9th for MVP.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/04/01/race-to-the-mvp-week-23/index.html

Re: Rondo making a late case for MVP?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:43:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25603
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like Rondo, but his season isn't anywhere close to MVP worthy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:44:21 PM »

Offline PseudoElite

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 42
His competition includes Dwight Howard, LeBron James, and Derrick Rose who are all having monster years.

I think the fact that Rondo made the MVP list is the best he'll do for this year. So let's just be happy with that.  ;D
Celtics' turn on switch for the playoffs: the last bastion of hope for battered Celtic fans.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »

• Al Horford
I like Rondo, but his season isn't anywhere close to MVP worthy.

Agreed.  I just found it surprising that he was even in the Top 10 for the award according to the author.

His competition includes Dwight Howard, LeBron James, and Derrick Rose who are all having monster years.

I think the fact that Rondo made the MVP list is the best he'll do for this year. So let's just be happy with that.  ;D

Definitely happy with him making the list.  I don't see Rondo ever winning an MVP (hope I'm wrong) but I'm glad he gets some recognition for being one of the better players in the league.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Sorry, "carrying" your team to a 8-8 record in the last 16 games may only qualify you as a VP.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:55:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1784
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I thought that this was a carry-over from all over the April Fools threads...

In all reality, if they are going to extend the list to ten and they take into account the whole season, I guess I can see it, but it seems that Pierce and KG deserve the same kind of recognition.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Rondo hasn't even played like a top 10 point guard this year, never mind a top 10 MVP. Imagine if Paul Pierce, in his prime, got the kind of mainstream appeal Rondo gets.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:03:32 PM »

• Al Horford
Rondo hasn't even played like a top 10 point guard this year, never mind a top 10 MVP. Imagine if Paul Pierce, in his prime, got the kind of mainstream appeal Rondo gets.

Seriously?  He's led the league in Assists for almost the entire season, and has been near the top of the league in Steals all season, and you don't think he's a Top 10 PG?

I'd like to hear the 10 Point Guards that are better than Rondo.

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
No.

Case for MVP of the Celtics? Maybe.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
If Rondo had kept his 15 assists pr game, and the Celtics had kept winning like before his injuries, he could have been considered in the top 5.
As for now, he should be behind Pierce and probably shared with KG for 2nd as the Celtics' MVP.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
No.

Case for MVP of the Celtics? Maybe.
Maybe is right. As a whole body of work, I think Pierce is the MVP of this team, has been the most consistent and almost always delivers in whatever the team needs that night, whether its scoring, boards, defense, passing, clutch shooting, getting to the line--he's fearless. I love Rondo, but fearless is something he is not. At least not consistently.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Gee, and I thought it was Perk who was making the case for MVP.

Seriously though, Rondo?, No, not even close.  Really, compared to Kobe, Rose, Lebron, Amare, even Dirk, not to mention Pierce and KG?  I could go on and on.

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
No.

lol

no..

Pierce has been phenomenal all year. Rondo ain't even the MVP of this team
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:06:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Some of you occasional Celticsblog visitors may be feeling confused by this post in the context of those from the last month or so (actual post titles below):

"Rondo is Overrated"
"So, everybody still in love with Rondo???"
"Mentally Checked Out Rondo"
"Rondo needs to be shopped in the off-season"

For such visitors, here is a handy guide to player evaluation, Celticsblog style:

Player X has 4-5 bad games: recommend that we trade/cut Player X immediately, replace with Sheed (if big), Gerald Green/James Posey (if small).

Player X has 1 bad game: speculate that Player is X (a) secretly hurt, (b) coasting in regular season, (c) tanking because of Perkins trade.

Player X has string of games at career averages: no discussion.

Player X has 1 good game: speculate that player is (a) finally getting healthy, (b) gearing up for playoffs, (c) finally getting over Perkins trade.

Player X has 2-3 good games: begin MVP/All-Star discussions.

Player X has 4-5 good games: HOF discussions begin in earnest. State categorically that we should not trade Player X for CP3/Lebron/Howard, etc.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »

• Al Horford
I don't put much stock into Power Rankings, or anything like that, but I find them fun to read sometimes.  With that said, I was pleasantly surprised to see Rondo showing up still as an MVP candidate.

I know he won't be able to push past the major MVP candidates, but I just read on NBA.com an article, and the author put Rondo in 9th for MVP.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/04/01/race-to-the-mvp-week-23/index.html

I feel like I should quote myself again.  Post was merely to point out that someone on NBA.com thinks Rondo is in the MVP discussion (despite being a fringe candidate at best)  Not saying Rondo should be considered for MVP above LeBron, Howard, or Rose.