Author Topic: For anyone who in hindsight would rather have spent our MLE on Brad Miller  (Read 6385 times)

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
That pass by Miller wasn't any worse than this one by KG a couple years ago:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4r7hc_nba-celtics-93-spurs-91-f-recaps-ma_sport

I'd rather have Brad Miller than JO.  Like already mentioned, at least he's out there playing.  Worst case scenario we leave him on the bench and he gives us equal production to JO.  We coulda used him in a game like the Denver one, maybe would have been the difference and pulled out a win.

Much worse actually.  KG's was off of a made basket, so he had to take it out of bounds, the entire Spurs team was pressuring the inbounds, and there were no timeouts, so KG had to throw it in, or turn it over anyway.  Miller just kinda threw it to the Suns.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4r7hc_nba-celtics-93-spurs-91-f-recaps-ma_sport

There's on GIGANTIC difference between that play and the Brad Miller one... the outcome of the game.

If the 3 by Horry had fallen, that KG pass would have been unquestionably worse, right?  Whether Horry hits the shot or not, the pass remains the same.  So, if you're saying that the outcome of the game is the difference between the 2 plays, you are essentially basing how good/bad the pass was on how bad/good of a shooter Horry is.  Consider the pass for what it was.  Celts had the game basically sealed and KG gave the Spurs a chance to win.

The Rockets on the other hand were already down.  If it were a clean pass, there's no saying that the Rockets would have hit a shot.  And the ball didn't get turned over, rather a few seconds were wasted off the clock.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

I'd rather have Brad Miller than JO.  Like already mentioned, at least he's out there playing.  Worst case scenario we leave him on the bench and he gives us equal production to JO.  We coulda used him in a game like the Denver one, maybe would have been the difference and pulled out a win.

Much worse actually.  KG's was off of a made basket, so he had to take it out of bounds, the entire Spurs team was pressuring the inbounds, and there were no timeouts, so KG had to throw it in, or turn it over anyway.  Miller just kinda threw it to the Suns.

Yup made basket.  Which means he could also run the baseline.  And I don't remember the particulars, but we were leading for a good chunk of the end of the 4th, so hard to imagine we had 0 timeouts left?  But maybe we did, can anybody confirm?

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd rather have a playing big than a non playing big.  If O'Neal comes back in good health then its up in the air.   But if he comes back with less health, count me as one who would have rather paid Miller and got those minutes.

The first pass is on Miller definitely.  He threw a long pass and long passes are easier to steal as they are in the air longer.   I would be mad at my PG on the second.   PG are supposed to go help the bigs on the outlets.   They are supposed to go get the ball not wait for it.  I blame the PG for the second pass and having Miller shoot the three ball.   A good PG will go back to the ball when a big is having issues with his outlets.   With a sharp guy like Nash one had better be safe than sorry.

They were down anyways.   I doubt they would have won even without these plays.

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
p.s. I just watched the video.  I was just basing my thoughts on the last pass that Nash almost stole that I saw on sportscenter.  I had no idea he turned the ball over 20 seconds before that.  Yikes.  In combination, I still don't know which was worse.  In terms of winning/losing, I'd say the Spurs had equal chance to win that game in '08 as the Rockets did to win this game last night.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

There's on GIGANTIC difference between that play and the Brad Miller one... the outcome of the game.

If the 3 by Horry had fallen, that KG pass would have been unquestionably worse, right?  Whether Horry hits the shot or not, the pass remains the same.  So, if you're saying that the outcome of the game is the difference between the 2 plays, you are essentially basing how good/bad the pass was on how bad/good of a shooter Horry is.  Consider the pass for what it was.  Celts had the game basically sealed and KG gave the Spurs a chance to win.

The Rockets on the other hand were already down.  If it were a clean pass, there's no saying that the Rockets would have hit a shot.  And the ball didn't get turned over, rather a few seconds were wasted off the clock.

Well the point is...Horry's shot didn't fall..but, to play your game, Miller clearly looks off his actual point guard who was having a 32 point game on 60% shooting for the 2-5 shooting SG who was a half-court away...WHILE THERE WAS STILL 30+ SECONDS ON THE CLOCK! And that's just the first turnover.

KG on the other hand was being face guarded by one of the best defenders of the last generation on an inbounds pass with no timeouts left, and no open options with time slipping away..and made a bad pass.

So, while comparing the two plays to me seems irrelevant, Miller's is still way worse.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
In hindsight, given JO's injury, I would rather have Brad Miller on a 2-year MLE (not 3-year, which is what he has with Houston). 

I could care less about the Houston - PHX game.
Celtics fan for life.