Author Topic: Billups back in Boston ?  (Read 11235 times)

Billups back in Boston ?
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:59:41 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
If he gets traded to the Nets he wants to be bought out, I hope he get's back to Boston and joins KG.

Re: Billups back in Boston ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Yeah, you beat me to it. I believe Chauncey & KG are close, so if a buyout occurs it would be awesome if KG, Shaq, PP, RA , Doc and DA make full press to bring Chauncey back. He could play both guard positions...Rondo 35min, RA 30min, Chauncey 25min, Delonte West takes rest...it would enable us to try trade Nate (with Avery, pick or something) to legit PP backup. Somebody wrote that Billups is done, but he's a proven winner and i would be thrilled to have him. On the other hand, if he goes to Lakers or Heat we are in trouble...
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
Chaunchey convinced KG to go to Boston and not LA if I remember correctly. Now if he really gets traded and bought out he is much needed in Boston. We have yet to find a real backup for Rondo, Nate is just awful.

I heard barnes will need surgery so LA will go after him, but they would do so in all cases and at least a dozen other playoff teams.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1274
Do you think NJ would still want to do the trade if they know that Billups would ask for a buyout? I mean they wanna surround Melo with talent right? Billups is supposed to replace Devin Harris. If Chauncey is bought out then they end up with no high caliber PG to pair with Melo.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:16:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do you think NJ would still want to do the trade if they know that Billups would ask for a buyout? I mean they wanna surround Melo with talent right? Billups is supposed to replace Devin Harris. If Chauncey is bought out then they end up with no high caliber PG to pair with Melo.

Yeah, if Chauncey gets traded, it won't be part of the Nets package (assume he sticks to his guns about the buyout).  I could see Denver trying to trade him in a separate transaction, but if he's demanding a buyout, I'm not sure who would be a good partner with the Nuggets.

In terms of Billups, I'm not sure if he would choose Boston.  Rondo is going to be getting 40 minutes or so per game in the playoffs, and Ray will play similar minutes.  Would Chauncey really want to come here as a 16 minute per game player, assuming we promised him all of our backup PG and SG minutes?  I'm doubtful.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm not sure NJ couldn't make the playoffs and be a force this year.  Billups is not over the hill just yet and neither is rip, as much as people think they are.  They would be better than chicago. 

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »

Offline Asijs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 54

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown

Nate took his number too  :)

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Billups will still want to start for a year or two, I bet.

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:04:29 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Yeah, if Chauncey gets traded, it won't be part of the Nets package (assume he sticks to his guns about the buyout). 
I think New Jersey could change Billups' mind fairly easily if they went ahead and made that trade.

After the trade ... I don't think they'll be able to change his mind before hand.

Once Denver parts ways with Billups and he sees he has no future there ... in his hometown ... he'll become much more amenable to being a part of the Nets.

To taking that challenge head on and building a title worthy team. He is a prideful veteran and ambitious. He'll want the challenge.

But like I said, only after the trade is made, I don't think there is much of a chance of Billups changing his mind while he still sees a long term future in Denver. That needs to be taken off the table before he begins to look elsewhere for an opportunity.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 10:24:14 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Yeah, you beat me to it. I believe Chauncey & KG are close, so if a buyout occurs it would be awesome if KG, Shaq, PP, RA , Doc and DA make full press to bring Chauncey back. He could play both guard positions...Rondo 35min, RA 30min, Chauncey 25min, Delonte West takes rest...

Somebody wrote that Billups is done, but he's a proven winner and i would be thrilled to have him. On the other hand, if he goes to Lakers or Heat we are in trouble...

TP, Davor. In addition to being close to KG, he is also very friendly with Pierce. That would help also.

I would love Billups back here. Not only because of his obvious impact on production and the fact that his maturity and accomplished vet status fit right in, and that it gives us the luxury of letting Rondo sit a little extra longer when he has a nagging, but not DNP type of injury like recently, but also for two other very important reasons:

1: Rondo insurance. It's been said many times on this board that if RR goes down, so go our chances to win it all, that he is the only player who is completely irreplaceable (although many have made that same argument about KG, and not unjustly). Well, Billups here would negate that argument. We would still have a legit chance to win it all if RR went down and we had Ch-Ch-Ch-Chauncey.

2. (and this is probably the more significant reason): If the Heat or the Lakers ever get him, that has to make either of them a strongfavorite to win it all.

We all know that the Heat lack a mature, competent point guard. Well, they get that with Chauncey, who also brings battle-tested championship experience to the table. That should be alarming to the rest of the league. They can woo him with guaranteed starting minutes (as many as he wants and can play) and a bona fide chance to win a championship.

The Lakers can offer him those two same things: starting guard minutes and a strong chance at a championship. Their only glaring weakness (aside from being only six or seven deep)is at PG.

The Magic could also make a play for him to give them the reason to turn Jameer Nelson and pieces over for a quality 4.

If any of these 3 teams acquire him, our rode to 18 just got a helluva lot tougher.

If he gets bought out, the full court press called for by Davorce becomes a necessity.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:49:57 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
My biggest fear is that Billups gets bought out and goes  to Miami. I know he can't really stay in front of rondo at this point, but he can still post Rondo up, can make clutch shots and is a great team leader. He is much better than any PG they have . Plus he doesn't really need the ball in his hands to be effective, which is perfect with Lebron and Wade.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 10:37:09 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
In terms of Billups, I'm not sure if he would choose Boston.  Rondo is going to be getting 40 minutes or so per game in the playoffs, and Ray will play similar minutes.  Would Chauncey really want to come here as a 16 minute per game player, assuming we promised him all of our backup PG and SG minutes?  I'm doubtful.
I'd highly doubt it too.  If he were bought out, Miami'd be a better fit for him.  He'd step right in as their starter, so, hoping he does not go anywhere and get bought out.

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:10 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
whos to say he doesnt go back to Denver.  Apparently Billups' agent has made it clear to the Nuggets that he wants to stay in Denver for the rest of his career and then remain in the front office as part of the organization afterward.  He's even said he'll stick around through a rebuilding process if he has to.
Greg

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm not sure NJ couldn't make the playoffs and be a force this year.  Billups is not over the hill just yet and neither is rip, as much as people think they are.  They would be better than chicago. 

A force? Billups, Rip, Melo, No one, and Lopez is considered a force? The Bulls might be the third best team in the East if the Magic cant hold it together and the Bulls get healthy. Even with Melo, Billups, and RIP, the Nets still miss the playoffs this year, and I think they miss next year as well.

Billups coming to the Celtics would be nice but he wouldnt find much playing time. Also Nate and West would get nailed to the bench. I could see Billups waiting 30 days and going back to Denver. Hometown, he doesnt really want to leave. Miami and the Lakers could be pretty appealing to him however.