Author Topic: Billups back in Boston ?  (Read 11237 times)

Re: Billups back in Boston ?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
a trade of billups for robinson, jermaine, and wafer works in trade machine.

then if sheed comes back and we sign a backup wing player our playoff roster would be:

rondo/billups/bradley
allen/west
pierce/daniels/FA
garnett/davis/harangody
perkins/shaq/sheed/erden
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I would absolutely love if Denver said were blowing this thing up and we traded Nate JO and Avery Bradley for Billups. Would be a perfect backup on this team. As long as Perk came back healthy that would be such a good team!

Rondo/Billiups
Ray/West/Wafer
Pierce/Daniels
KG/BBD/Haragody
Shaq/Perk/Semi

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
He'd most likely go to the Lakers or Heat. Both are in need of a point guard like him, both are contenders, and both are places he could start. I doubt he'd come here to backup Rondo.

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
a trade of billups for robinson, jermaine, and wafer works in trade machine.

then if sheed comes back and we sign a backup wing player our playoff roster would be:

rondo/billups/bradley
allen/west
pierce/daniels/FA
garnett/davis/harangody
perkins/shaq/sheed/erden

I would absolutely love if Denver said were blowing this thing up and we traded Nate JO and Avery Bradley for Billups. Would be a perfect backup on this team. As long as Perk came back healthy that would be such a good team!

Rondo/Billiups
Ray/West/Wafer
Pierce/Daniels
KG/BBD/Haragody
Shaq/Perk/Semi

Why would Denver make either of these trades? When making a trade you cant just make it for the benefit of the Celtics. You have to think about what the other team is looking for and what they are after. Denver wants, young talent, big expiring contracts, and draft picks to rebuild. Nate has the expiring but its off set with JO's 6 mil a year. And wafer or bradley would have no value to them.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
He'd most likely go to the Lakers or Heat. Both are in need of a point guard like him, both are contenders, and both are places he could start. I doubt he'd come here to backup Rondo.

Either the Lakers or the Heat would be pretty difficult to beat with Billups at PG. Not that they're not already.
Yup

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I don't see him coming back.  He already has a ring, so it's not like he needs to ride the coattails of the Big Three for one.  Furthermore, with Rondo here, he has zero chance of starting and would face dramatically cut minutes.  

I guess the only way I see it working would be if Doc guaranteed him ALL of the backup minutes at the 1 and 2, which could get him 25+ mpg.  That could be interesting, as it might allow us to package West and say Baby for an upgrade at the 3.  

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 12:15:03 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
whenever there's a FA available everybody screams heat or lakers , why ? if he wants starter minutes the obvious choice would be detroit or stay in denver where Ty lawson will be starting sooner or later. I think deep down he hates lebron when the cavs beat the pistons and he is close friends to KG, he has a ring already, so he might be convinced to come to Boston.

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
whenever there's a FA available everybody screams heat or lakers , why ? if he wants starter minutes the obvious choice would be detroit or stay in denver where Ty lawson will be starting sooner or later. I think deep down he hates lebron when the cavs beat the pistons and he is close friends to KG, he has a ring already, so he might be convinced to come to Boston.

In this case it has to do with role. But all things being equal, when there is a vet buyout, generally the potential landing places seem to have to have:

1. Very high championship odds (Orlando, Boston, LA, San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, Possibly OKC, Chicago).

2. Playing time/role fit. This is where, for Billups in particular, LA and Miami jump out. He absolutely supplants Fisher or chalmers and gets 35+mpg and an important role. Not so in Boston, Dallas, San Antonio; he doesn't even start. If it were a sf,pf, or c, no one would be saying LA was a great destination: Bynum, Gasol, Odom, Artest, Barnes...crowded. But if it was a center who still commanded a starting gig, people would absolutely be saying Miami.

3. Friends

4. Location (generally miami/orlando/LA get favor here)

So in Billups' case people say Miami or LA because it's a desirable location, he plays an important role as a starter immediately, and both have legit title chances.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Either the Lakers or the Heat would be pretty difficult to beat with Billups at PG. Not that they're not already.
Billups to the Heat has been a fear of mine since they formed.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 04:47:58 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
I believe (hope) that Billups would rather play 25 minutes of quallity, high IQ, team basketball then 35 minutes of watching Kobe or LeBron playing hero basketball...
Also, i dont think minutes would be a problem. With Billups and Delonte able to play SG, Ray Allen could play some SF when PP is on the bench. Not vs LeBron, but vs Mike Miller...or Turkoglu, Deng, Artest or R.Jefferson:
RONDO/BILLUPS/WEST
ALLEN/BILLUPS/WEST
PIERCE/DANIELS/ALLEN
GARNETT/DAVIS/JONEAL
PERKINS/SONEAL/JONEAL
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 04:50:50 PM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
P.S. For some posters (CSFANSINCE60), my name is Davor, Croatian Celtics fan from 1986.
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:37 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
It has long been one of my guilty dreams to have Chauncey back in Boston, but I don't think it is going to happen.  Boy, would that be sweet if it did, though...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 05:44:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If he gets traded to the Nets he wants to be bought out, I hope he get's back to Boston and joins KG.

The Nets will not trade for him if he is going to ask to be bought out.  He said that as a threat.  They only wanted to include him in the trade to make the team better and more attractive to Melo.  If he is not on board with that, then he will be staying in Denver.

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 06:18:51 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
If he gets traded to the Nets he wants to be bought out, I hope he get's back to Boston and joins KG.

The Nets will not trade for him if he is going to ask to be bought out.  He said that as a threat.  They only wanted to include him in the trade to make the team better and more attractive to Melo.  If he is not on board with that, then he will be staying in Denver.

It's pretty clear that he wants to stay in Denver. Even if he get's traded and bought out (unlikely) I think he still goes back to Denver, he wants to enter the front office there when he retires.

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
P.S. For some posters (CSFANSINCE60), my name is Davor, Croatian Celtics fan from 1986.

fixed....always good to converse intercontinentally...thanks