Author Topic: San Antonio's Hot Start  (Read 9626 times)

Re: San Antonio's Hot Start
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
THey've done great with the 3rd hardest schedule so far.

Are you sure it isn't the 3rd easiest?  I think they've had a pretty easy schedule.

SOrry I looked at the wrong column.  It was the 3rd hardest in their past 10 games.  10th hardest schedule over all.  From sorting on Hollingers ranking page.
Look at the home/away column. Haven't they played like two-thirds of their games at home?

Considering how much better many teams play at home, I will be convinced after the rodeo trip.

I still think they are an excellent team, but their wins are inflated do to # of home games.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Hopefully they will miss a lot on the road
if its true theyre great at home and probably the best team in the west righ now, the quality of those teams at home (close quality) will make them fail a couple
specially when neal, bonner and hill doesnt hit their share
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
if its true theyre great at home and probably the best team in the west righ now, the quality of those teams at home (close quality) will make them fail a couple

They definitely won't maintain this pace (I mean seriously, they aren't going to win 72 games).  They're going to hit some rough spots and they'll have some bad shooting nights.

Nevertheless, I expect them to win over 60 games and have the best record in the league. 
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:37 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't know if the Spurs can win it all in the playoffs with Duncan/Blair/Bonner/Splitter/McDyess at the 4/5 position. Not with the up and down play of Duncan and the overall not very impressive Splitter.

They're outscoring teams right now, but their defense is well below their usual standards. And currently Ducann is being attacked on that end in P&R's and also in the post. Its the most shocking thing to my mind in the last two years, Duncan as a defensive liability at many times.

This is all true.  However, recall that the Celtics didn't play great defense for most of last year, either - and opposing defenses also attacked KG at times (memories of Rashard blowing by him for a layup...ergh).  

The Spurs have showed at times this season that they are capable of locking down and playing tough defense (as they did against the Lakers).  I think come post-season time they'll be able to defend well, and I expect Duncan to lift his game up and actually be able to sustain his play better after resting a lot during the regular season.
Eh the Lakers aren't a good offensive squad right now, and neither are the Mavericks without Dirk.

I just haven't seen them play the quality of defense I expect out of them in the games I have watched. Though I did take heart in what they did to LA, I full expect Boston to be able to stifle the Lakers in a similar manner. (if we have KG without him its dicey)

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

They definitely won't maintain this pace (I mean seriously, they aren't going to win 72 games).  They're going to hit some rough spots and they'll have some bad shooting nights.

Nevertheless, I expect them to win over 60 games and have the best record in the league. 

yup It will be very difficults for teams like injured depleted Cs or Dallas reach their record , specially because theyre offensively gifted probably the best offensive team in the league not called full healthy celics.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
 They have definitely upgraded their bench by adding G.Neal with his 3pt.shooting.So far Richard Jefferson hasn't been as consistent on the offensive end as much as Pop probably would like.According to the media Jefferson did a lot of extra work in the off season to get better.The games ive watched he has been more off than on.Ginobli is having an All Star caliber season so far and Parker is playing at a very high level.They have changed their offense to become more of a running team most of the time whether Tim makes it across halfcourt or not.Im not saying they're the best in the west because Dallas when healthy might be able to beat them in a 7game series...and there is always that team from LA who can turn up the heat at any time.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:30:12 PM by housecall »

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039

yup It will be very difficults for teams like injured depleted Cs or Dallas reach their record , specially because theyre offensively gifted probably the best offensive team in the league not called full healthy celics.

Still not knowing the severity of Butler's injury, I think the Mavs, Heat and Celtics can all easily catch San Antonio. They are due for a 3+game losing streak sometime soon. They have had a very favorable schedule thus far, either cupcake road games or the good teams they actually faced were in San Antonio. They won in OKC and in Denver, that's about it.

5 of their next 6 on the road, then a 9-game road trip looming in February. I could see them closing in on 10 losses before 40 wins. Every team has a rough patch, how bad will their's be? And when?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I expect Miami to have the best record in the league with around 64 wins.

I think the Spurs finish on top of the West with about 60 wins.

I think the Spurs are about a 60 win team talent wise so I expect them to slow down from their current pace as the season goes on + I think they'll likely fall victim to an injury or two at some stage which will cost them a few more wins.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 07:09:42 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
No need to panic. With my green glasses put aside, I can calmly say that there is no better team than us if everybody's healthy. Even if we miss one player in our rotation, unless it's Rondo/Garnett/Pierce, we're good to go all the way this year.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
No need to panic. With my green glasses put aside, I can calmly say that there is no better team than us if everybody's healthy. Even if we miss one player in our rotation, unless it's Rondo/Garnett/Pierce, we're good to go all the way this year.

Add ray to that list really
without his iced cold veins we are doomed in stressfull playoff series and ugly games like todays

Nice to be back!

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1039

Add ray to that list really
without his iced cold veins we are doomed in stressfull playoff series and ugly games like todays

Agreed.

As long as KG, Ray, Pierce and Rondo are all healthy, we have to be favorites. We can afford to miss a big or a wing, because other guys can fill in, especially the bigs. Shaq, Perk, JO, and BBD need to put up around 60 minutes in the playoffs (48 at C and 12 subbing for KG). Any three of those for 20 minutes per game is still better depth than any team.

As for wings, except for maybe 'Quis, we are covered. Although Nate is obviously struggling right now, we saw him come through big twice in the playoffs last year. Delonte is a really good player on both ends of the floor. Wafer really looks good too. He is like glue on defense for the most part, and when attacking the rim like he was tonight, he adds another scorer to the second unit. Marquis has been playing real well too.

The true key to this team is health. Ed Lacerte is probably the most important person on the team for us from now until April.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I refuse to believe San Antonio is anything but a phenomenon until they make the finals.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 11:00:07 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I refuse to believe San Antonio is anything but a phenomenon until they make the finals.
Their offense is AMAZING

Duncan even playing bad
Blair have his share of offensive attacking plays
Manu
Parker
JEffeston
Neal is house v2.0 and improved
Hill is playig great
For some reason Bonner isnt missing anything
Tiago is helping
its a pick your poison offensive scenario
their weekness is their D
I dont know if during playoffs their offense will be enough
but hell is good

todays lines

R. Jefferson F 21:44   8
T. Duncan F 27:06  21
D. Blair C 25:05 12
M. Ginobili G 25:10  9
T. Parker G 28:45 14
G. Hill   21:01   16
M. Bonner   24:21   5
I. Udoka   20:05  1
T. Splitter   19:28   6
G. Neal   19:30  5
C. Quinn   07:45  4

they destroy OKC a very good team
and erase Westbrook
Impressive if you ask me

ahh and theyre healthy

Nice to be back!

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3072
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Ok Charles lol
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 11:10:51 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Edgar pointed out San Antonio's health compared to ours and I think that is going to be the big story in this one.  Can we overcome a healthy team that is clicking when we are gimpy at best?