Author Topic: Tonight and the small forward posistion aka no Marquis  (Read 7139 times)

Tonight and the small forward posistion aka no Marquis
« on: November 17, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
This evenings game with no Marquis available (thankfully not injury related) we have a glimpse into our own fears.  We are lacking sf depth.  Great time to see in Von Wafer has any spot on the team, he was supposed to be able to give us some minutes at sf.  I personally wanted Lasme on the roster instead of wafer who could give us some depth.  So Von Wafer its time to make it or make sure you will not be with the team for the full season!  I do not want Delonte playing sf minutes unless we go with a small team (kg center) to run washington into the ground.  Delonte is going to prove very valuable as combo guard off the bench.  I wouldn't mind seeing Luke get some minutes at sf, he has the range but footspeed isn't there at sf.
I do not want PP playing too many minutes.

Re: Tonight and the small forward posistion aka no Marquis
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I assume Gody will get some of the minutes.  If so, this is a great oppty for him (and us) to see what he can do.

What did we do last year when Daniels was hurt?  Was it Scal that played the backup?

I'm concerned about the backup SF spot (have been, since Posey left town), but more concerned about backup big man.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:40:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think we will see basically the same rotation we have been seeing, except West will be playing Daniels minutes. 

The differentiation between a backup SF and backup SG is the most overrated argument that doesn't seem to die.  Unless we are facing Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony, it really doesn't matter how big our backup wing is. 

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
DC is a great team for this to happen since they like to play a three guard team with Hinrich at SF. 

Otherwise, I imagine we will see Ray play more SF. 

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
West will take Daniels minutes and Ray will slide to our SF spot. That is what Doc did last year, I imagine he'll do the same in this situation.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I think we will see basically the same rotation we have been seeing, except West will be playing Daniels minutes. 

The differentiation between a backup SF and backup SG is the most overrated argument that doesn't seem to die.  Unless we are facing Lebron James or Carmelo Anthony, it really doesn't matter how big our backup wing is. 

wait, you mean all my warbling about Lamse is hot air?  I've never been so insulted!

(yes, I'm kidding)

this is a very fair point - I'm not so worried about it, but I still like the idea of having some options behind Daniels - even if they are mostly in the D-League
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:14:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

wait, you mean all my warbling about Lamse is hot air?  I've never been so insulted!

(yes, I'm kidding)

this is a very fair point - I'm not so worried about it, but I still like the idea of having some options behind Daniels - even if they are mostly in the D-League

My stance on that is that I would rather have a 6'4" guy who can play than a 6'7" D-leaguer. 

The C's defensive system is built to minimize mismatches, and there are a surprisingly small number of SF's in the league who would even pose a mismatch...in most cases, the speed mismatch in favor of the C's would outweigh the size mismatch. 

I think Daniels fragility is a concern come playoff time, because it is easier to exploit things like that in a 7 game series.  But until then, I think it is just another thing for fans to needlessly worry about.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 01:27:37 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
I'd like to see Gody get the majority of minutes personally. What else can he do to earn it ?  He was solid in the summer, had some solid games in preseason, so why not ? His persistence on the glass alone makes him my candidate.  I'm worried about the defense too, but thats about it with him.  He's got too much heart for him not to be considered.  I want to see more of him.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
10 minutes from Von Wafer, that's how the Celtics are going to deal with Daniels' absence.

As little as he's contributing right now, Wafer is a better SF option for this team than Harangody or Lasme.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I hope we see Harangody as well, but of course that would mean we're up by 20 or more
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I hope we see Harangody as well, but of course that would mean we're up by 20 or more

My dream "get a look at the young guy" scenario for tonight is that Wall plays, and Doc throws Bradley out there for a few minutes to see if he can cover him.  I think that would be a really fun matchup to watch.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
10 minutes from Von Wafer, that's how the Celtics are going to deal with Daniels' absence.

As little as he's contributing right now, Wafer is a better SF option for this team than Harangody or Lasme.
he has to prove that, so far I'd say he would be chalked up as low risk mistake

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 04:57:35 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Luckily we dont have to face Paul Pierce!

I think we often take for granted how few players like Pierce there are in the league. Those two guys you mentioned. There arent many more.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I assume Gody will get some of the minutes.  If so, this is a great oppty for him (and us) to see what he can do.

What did we do last year when Daniels was hurt?  Was it Scal that played the backup?

I'm concerned about the backup SF spot (have been, since Posey left town), but more concerned about backup big man.
Maybe we'll see Delonte and Ray on the floor with rondo or nate. I don't think Luke can guard the 3, can he?

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:36 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Maybe we'll see Delonte and Ray on the floor with rondo or nate. I don't think Luke can guard the 3, can he?

Ive been wondering this myself since the start of training camp. His future in the NBA is much brighter if he can be an average defender at the 3 position.