Author Topic: I have a feeling 'bout Iverson!  (Read 6702 times)

Re: I have a feeling 'bout Iverson!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:41 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
like Doc and Danny said last year we need scorers off the bench!!!!!

What good is scoring if your scorers wont play defense?

Also, were they talking about players that take a lot of shots or efficient scorers?

Well, if the other four players are playing defense, then all we need them is to be adequate.  Plus, with those guys we're talking 15-20 mpg, not 35+.

Also, think about what they could do for the second unit.  Even a guy like Michael Finley last year had trouble getting his shot off because there was no one to make the opposing defense buckle.  Put AI out there with him, and a guy like Finley starts getting open treys.  

Again, I'm not in love with the idea, but I do think the "unknown" of free agency has some people with higher expectations than are realistic.  It's easy to turn up your nose at AI and T-Mac when you think we can get Mike Miller or J.J. Reddick.  But that might not be in the cards.  
TP. We have to do the best with what we have. What we have after the MLE is gone will be Sheed's contract and the vet min. Either of those guys if they have their head on straight for the vet min is a great idea.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1274
Danny has a knack of giving players "second chances" to prove themselves. He did it with Marbury, Darius Miles, and to an extent, Leon Powe (when no one dared to draft him after coming off two major surgeries). I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a look at both AI and TMac. Of the two, I'd be more interested on what TMac has to offer. Doc coached him in Orlando so there certainly is some history there.

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Everyone complained last year about the bench not having any "firepower" and offensive punch.  At the least, that is what these two guys could bring (AI and TMac).

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 10:22:25 AM »

Offline wasi

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5

Also, were they talking about players that take a lot of shots or efficient scorers?

Well, if the other four players are playing defense, then all we need them is to be adequate.  Plus, with those guys we're talking 15-20 mpg, not 35+.

Also, think about what they could do for the second unit.  Even a guy like Michael Finley last year had trouble getting his shot off because there was no one to make the opposing defense buckle.  Put AI out there with him, and a guy like Finley starts getting open treys.  

Again, I'm not in love with the idea, but I do think the "unknown" of free agency has some people with higher expectations than are realistic.  It's easy to turn up your nose at AI and T-Mac when you think we can get Mike Miller or J.J. Reddick.  But that might not be in the cards.  

I agree to some extent but it all depends on their attitudes when they come in. They have to be willing to listen to what Doc wants out of them. I would pay the vet min for either of them cause there's no real risk there. I think iverson is a better bet than tmac just for the reason that he can create more shots for others. I'm still worried about his shot selection and defense but like you said if the other 4 are playing good D it would be ok. I'm second guessing myself on this though because we need a wing more than we do a pg/undersized SG. Paul needs some rest so I don't know, I'm all over the place lol.

I don't have high expectations at all, I'm not worried at all about finding the last few guys. I know JJ is going back to Orlando and Miller will get paid. I just worry about team chemistry of the bench with a huge head in AI.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I agree to some extent but it all depends on their attitudes when they come in. They have to be willing to listen to what Doc wants out of them. I would pay the vet min for either of them cause there's no real risk there. I think iverson is a better bet than tmac just for the reason that he can create more shots for others. I'm still worried about his shot selection and defense but like you said if the other 4 are playing good D it would be ok. I'm second guessing myself on this though because we need a wing more than we do a pg/undersized SG. Paul needs some rest so I don't know, I'm all over the place lol.

I don't have high expectations at all, I'm not worried at all about finding the last few guys. I know JJ is going back to Orlando and Miller will get paid. I just worry about team chemistry of the bench with a huge head in AI.

But again, as you said, if it's minimum money, it's worth the risk.  We can always cut him/them. 

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »

Offline wasi

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Yeah, I agree for the min it's worth the risk. I just hope if either of them come they're serious about winning and not just about trying to prove themselves again.

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 10:46:55 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Iverson walked out on Memphis, what makes anyone think he would honor a vet minimum contract?

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 10:49:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am still waiting for evidence that AI would play off the bench. 

No AI.  Selfish shot chucking super small SG that quits on his team. 

Sign guys with proven track records as role players.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:51:50 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
Iverson walked out on Memphis, what makes anyone think he would honor a vet minimum contract?

Well, that was slightly different circumstances where he was sitting behind unestablished players.  It's quite another to sit behind three All Stars, two of whom are first ballot Hall of Famers.  

Plus, the point is that it's the minimum, if he walks out, it's really no skin off our back.  

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Well, that was slightly different circumstances where he was sitting behind unestablished players.  It's quite another to sit behind three All Stars, two of whom are first ballot Hall of Famers.  

Plus, the point is that it's the minimum, if he walks out, it's really no skin off our back.  

It is easy to point out reason's he will not work.  He has made a career that points to his inability to ever take a back seat.

Can you come up with anything that says he will suddenly change?  Besides wishful thinking.

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
we need a back PG/SG and some scoring off the bench.

We have one and his name is Nate Robinson.
I hope he is re-signed -- he brings that attitude and moxie that I like in a bench player.  I'd love to see how he does with a year of Celtics play under his belt.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I would pass on AI (every year it's the same story : all the great summer speeches about taking a lesser role, the tears of joy to be able to play again, and then the whining about playing time, feeling betrayed, etc) but I would gladly welcome T-Mac to Boston on a veteran minimum contract.

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:27 AM »

Offline Larry Pistol

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
we need a back PG/SG and some scoring off the bench.

We have one and his name is Nate Robinson.
I hope he is re-signed -- he brings that attitude and moxie that I like in a bench player.  I'd love to see how he does with a year of Celtics play under his belt.

I wouldn't mind having Nate back on the team. Only thing is I doubt he wants to come back to the small roll that he was given last season. With Bradley, he would not get any more minutes per game than last year. That is supposing Bradley is in fact NBA ready. We need a guy that can score, but who is not selfish to play at the 2 spot. Nate is too small. TA is the defensive stopper at the position, assuming he comes back. Obviously we're going to get two more big men. But IMO, the MLE should be spent on a veteran intelligent passer/scorer whose not afraid to play defense, but doesn't have to excel at it. Not many players are willing, nor able to accept that role. Iverson is NOT that guy.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 11:02:46 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The guy has a drinking and gambling problem. Tough to trust a guy like that. I know because I have a couple of very close friends with the same addictions. I keep them at arms length.

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

It is easy to point out reason's he will not work.  He has made a career that points to his inability to ever take a back seat.

Can you come up with anything that says he will suddenly change?  Besides wishful thinking.

Not concrete ones.  And let me be clear, if I had to pick one, it would be T-Mac, not Iverson.  And if I had it my way, we'd get someone like Reddick to make this all a moot point.  

However, this would be a far different situation for Iverson than Memphis and Philly (2nd time) where he was playing in losing situations and losing time to unestablished players.  I mean this is a guy who carried teams on his back for years.  It's not ridiculous for him to think he deserves more PT if the team is losing with unestablished players.  

Here, he'd be in a winning situations, making it far harder to complain.  And he'd be playing behind Rondo and Allen, two established NBA stars.  

Plus, you feel after his last two failures, he may be beaten down enough by the world to really change.  

Am I guaranteeing anything?  No.  Would I touch even part of the MLE for either AI or T-Mac?  Not unless it was late August and everything else had dried up.  

I'm just saying for the minimum, it'd be worth seeing if either of those guys could be the scorer off the bench that allows Doc to cut Ray and Paul's minutes.