Author Topic: I have a feeling 'bout Iverson!  (Read 6681 times)

Re: I have a feeling 'bout Iverson!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 11:06:58 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Iverson walked out on Memphis, what makes anyone think he would honor a vet minimum contract?

Well, that was slightly different circumstances where he was sitting behind unestablished players.  It's quite another to sit behind three All Stars, two of whom are first ballot Hall of Famers.  

Plus, the point is that it's the minimum, if he walks out, it's really no skin off our back.  

It is easy to point out reason's he will not work.  He has made a career that points to his inability to ever take a back seat.

Can you come up with anything that says he will suddenly change?  Besides wishful thinking.

Not concrete ones.  And let me be clear, if I had to pick one, it would be T-Mac, not Iverson.  And if I had it my way, we'd get someone like Reddick to make this all a moot point.  

However, this would be a far different situation for Iverson than Memphis and Philly (2nd time) where he was playing in losing situations and losing time to unestablished players.  I mean this is a guy who carried teams on his back for years.  It's not ridiculous for him to think he deserves more PT if the team is losing with unestablished players.  

Here, he'd be in a winning situations, making it far harder to complain.  And he'd be playing behind Rondo and Allen, two established NBA stars.  

Plus, you feel after his last two failures, he may be beaten down enough by the world to really change.  

Am I guaranteeing anything?  No.  Would I touch even part of the MLE for either AI or T-Mac?  Not unless it was late August and everything else had dried up.  

I'm just saying for the minimum, it'd be worth seeing if either of those guys could be the scorer off the bench that allows Doc to cut Ray and Paul's minutes.  

The issue is that Memphis told AI that was what was going to happen.  When it did happen, he quit. 

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 11:09:58 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Iverson walked out on Memphis, what makes anyone think he would honor a vet minimum contract?

Well, that was slightly different circumstances where he was sitting behind unestablished players.  It's quite another to sit behind three All Stars, two of whom are first ballot Hall of Famers.  

Plus, the point is that it's the minimum, if he walks out, it's really no skin off our back.  

It is easy to point out reason's he will not work.  He has made a career that points to his inability to ever take a back seat.

Can you come up with anything that says he will suddenly change?  Besides wishful thinking.

Not concrete ones.  And let me be clear, if I had to pick one, it would be T-Mac, not Iverson.  And if I had it my way, we'd get someone like Reddick to make this all a moot point.  

However, this would be a far different situation for Iverson than Memphis and Philly (2nd time) where he was playing in losing situations and losing time to unestablished players.  I mean this is a guy who carried teams on his back for years.  It's not ridiculous for him to think he deserves more PT if the team is losing with unestablished players.  

Here, he'd be in a winning situations, making it far harder to complain.  And he'd be playing behind Rondo and Allen, two established NBA stars.  

Plus, you feel after his last two failures, he may be beaten down enough by the world to really change.  

Am I guaranteeing anything?  No.  Would I touch even part of the MLE for either AI or T-Mac?  Not unless it was late August and everything else had dried up.  

I'm just saying for the minimum, it'd be worth seeing if either of those guys could be the scorer off the bench that allows Doc to cut Ray and Paul's minutes.  

The issue is that Memphis told AI that was what was going to happen.  When it did happen, he quit. 

True.  And I'm not ruling out that happening here.  But NBA stars have big egos and from Iverson's perspective it wouldn't be silly to think that he could beat out some of those young guys. 

It'd be much harder for him to imagine that here, where he'd be behind a top 5 point guard and the greatest shooter in NBA history. 

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 11:35:06 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
TMac Iverson and Oneal, wow we got an all star bench...

actually we got an all star team from starter to bench, but most of them are 32+

but hey the older the more experienced right =)

It be a steal to grab all 3 of them =)

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We'd be too ancient.  We need someone in his prime other than Rondo if we are going to compete.

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 11:52:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
We'd be too ancient.  We need someone in his prime other than Rondo if we are going to compete.
Name a player that is in his prime who is willing to sign for the vet min.

I'm guessing that player isn't very good.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19