Author Topic: Celtics pursuing Barbosa, Fernandez  (Read 19613 times)

Re: Celtics pursuing Barbosa, Fernandez
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Rudy is not happy in Portland. There are reports in Spain that Real Madrid, who also signed Sergio Rodriguez this summer, trying to lure him. And they are loaded, so a good contract won't be a problem for them.

I think he could be a good fit for the C's, and now is an excellent time to get him.
Rudy is unhappy because of the lack of minutes in Portland.

Same problem here in Boston ... unless Ray Allen leaves and Rudy
takes over his role.
Are you sure? Ray, Pierce only play 30 MPG, lots less than Roy... assumes he could be use at both wings... you could also use him backing up Rondo too.

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2010, 03:49:09 AM »

Offline BlazerLad

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
The Blazers won't trade Rudy for nothing, they will Keep him just as well, considering he's under contract.  The Blazers have the richest owner in basketball and are not looking to dump contracts unless it means opening up possibilities for future acquisitions.  Don't expect Portland to make any trade with Boston; highly doubtful. 

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2010, 07:26:07 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Rudy is not happy in Portland. There are reports in Spain that Real Madrid, who also signed Sergio Rodriguez this summer, trying to lure him. And they are loaded, so a good contract won't be a problem for them.

I think he could be a good fit for the C's, and now is an excellent time to get him.

Same problem here in Boston ... unless Ray Allen leaves and Rudy
takes over his role.
Are you sure? Ray, Pierce only play 30 MPG, lots less than Roy... assumes he could be use at both wings... you could also use him backing up Rondo too.
Don't forget they also traded away Martell Webster, a guy who had a significant role in the wing rotation.  They did add Babbitt, but I think Rudy will get more meaningful minutes this year.

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Would love to see Barbosa in green, Rudy I've never really been that impressed with. He got a lot of press for that dunk he had on Dwight Howard in the Olympics a few years back. Other than that, when I've seen Portland games, he does good to even crack the rotation.

Leandro= instant offense.

Thank you!  I have no idea where this Rudy lovefest comes from. Have you ever seen Rudy play well?  I haven't.  The guy stinks.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2010, 07:39:11 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Same problem here in Boston ... unless Ray Allen leaves and Rudy takes over his role.

And he lacks minutes because he's not good.  Barboza I like.  Now that's I guy I've seen play well many many times.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Same problem here in Boston ... unless Ray Allen leaves and Rudy takes over his role.

And he lacks minutes because he's not good.  Barboza I like.  Now that's I guy I've seen play well many many times.

He's probably the best players in Europe. Maybe he hasn't found the system that suits him here yet, but I wouldn't say he's not good. I think in a system like ours he's find a lot of success. The way we move the ball, the spacing, and playing alongside Rondo could really set him loose.

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2010, 11:40:57 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441

He's probably the best players in Europe. Maybe he hasn't found the system that suits him here yet, but I wouldn't say he's not good. I think in a system like ours he's find a lot of success. The way we move the ball, the spacing, and playing alongside Rondo could really set him loose.
I think Rudy Fernandez is an excellent complementary scorer + good defender + good passer + decent rebounder.

Barbosa, on the other hand, is a very poor rebounder + very poor defender + poor passer + was a mediocre complementary scorer last season but a terrific one in year's before that.

Rudy Fernandez is a vastly superior player to Barbosa because he can effect the game more when he is not scoring.

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1400
Either one of these guys would be so much fun on the break with rondo! I guess Rudy is the better finisher and is a better defender, so that may be the better choice.

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I have never really been a Barbosa fan. He seems to be a highlight reel kind of guy but never seems to be all that effective over the long haul. I never see him rotating well on defense or creating his own shot or even spotting up all that well. It seems like he is more or less a transition guy. I always thought he should be MUCH better with his athletic talent. Fernandez seems to have more emotional drive to be better (although he seems to have a big ego to go along with the drive).

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Would love to see Barbosa in green, Rudy I've never really been that impressed with. He got a lot of press for that dunk he had on Dwight Howard in the Olympics a few years back. Other than that, when I've seen Portland games, he does good to even crack the rotation.

Thank you!  I have no idea where this Rudy lovefest comes from. Have you ever seen Rudy play well?  I haven't.  The guy stinks.

Well, stinks is a strong word, but I'm about as interested in Rudy Fernandez as I am Ryan Gomes - not at all.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2010, 12:51:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2679
  • bammokja
 :( i think this thread is going to make my head explode.  :P

RUDY QUOTES....

I think Rudy Fernandez is an excellent complementary scorer + good defender + good passer + decent rebounder.

Rudy is the better finisher and is a better defender, so that may be the better choice

(Rudy) lacks minutes because he's not good.

I have no idea where this Rudy lovefest comes from. Have you ever seen Rudy play well?  I haven't.  The guy stinks.

I'm about as interested in Rudy Fernandez as I am Ryan Gomes - not at all.

BARBOSA QUOTES...

He's probably the best players in Europe.

Barboza I like.  Now that's I guy I've seen play well many many times.

Would love to see Barbosa in green

I have never really been a Barbosa fan.

Barbosa, on the other hand, is a very poor rebounder + very poor defender + poor passer + was a mediocre complementary scorer last season.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2010, 12:52:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753

Thank you!  I have no idea where this Rudy lovefest comes from. Have you ever seen Rudy play well?  I haven't.  The guy stinks.

Well, stinks is a strong word, but I'm about as interested in Rudy Fernandez as I am Ryan Gomes - not at all.

I think Rudy has not been used properly in portland. He's the type of player you want running with Rondo and Bradley. He can be great on this celtics team. Barbosa on the other hand would be disappointing. He should have been better than he was playing with Nash

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2010, 01:27:41 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I know its a pipe dream, but what if we traded Sheed's expiring, our 2 D-Leaguers for Rudy and either LaMarcus Aldridge or Greg Oden or Joel Pryzbilla?

Then it would be considered a dream...

There is absolutely no way that would happen. 
Portland might do Rudy + Pryzbilla for Sheed's contract.  I would rather have Aldridge, but I don't Portland will trade him or Oden.

If that possible, Oden would be a perfect addition as he can learn from Kelvin Garnett!!  But he is injury-prone.

If we somehow got Oden, then we wouldn't have lost out on the draft lottery that year (Not that we didn't really though, because we hit the jackpot with KG and Ray.), even though I think Danny would have taken Durant  ;).
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Thank you!  I have no idea where this Rudy lovefest comes from. Have you ever seen Rudy play well?  I haven't.  The guy stinks.

I think Rudy has not been used properly in portland. He's the type of player you want running with Rondo and Bradley. He can be great on this celtics team. Barbosa on the other hand would be disappointing. He should have been better than he was playing with Nash
Portland's offense has not mixed well with Spanish players for that very reason.

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Rudy would flourish in our offense. He is not currently a good defender but he has the length and speed to become one. Ray Allen was viewed as a bad defender before he came here.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19