Author Topic: Celtics pursuing Barbosa, Fernandez  (Read 19615 times)

Re: Celtics pursuing Barbosa, Fernandez
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Like Fernandez, Barbosa not so much.

We need a backup for Pierce, and Fernandez would be able to fill that role, while Barbosa can't.  We could re-sign TA , which would give us a back court bench of Fernandez, TA, and Bradley.  That would be a very versatile backcourt.

I'm not sure how Przybilla's knee rehab is progressing, but if he's healthy, he would be a great addition.  He is a legit 7', plays solid "D", and rebounds very well.

I do believe a trade involving Sheed, Lafayette, & Gaffney for Przybilla & Fernandez does work money wise.  If Portland is simply looking to shed salary, this would be a good deal for them.  So long as Sheed retires (no buy-out), along with Lafayette & Gaffney's unguaranteed contracts, Portland would be able to clear all salary from their books.

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2010, 02:21:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Przybilla will most likely be out of action until the new year.  Portland may want to hold on to him for a trade deadline deal using his expiring contract to bring back a quality player.  Rudy is a very good 2-guard but just hasn't flourished in Nate's slow tempo offense.  Camby is our backup center and power forward and insurance in case Oden goes down again. 

Welcome to CelticsBlog, BlazerLad.

Well, if what you said about Pryzbilla is correct, then I guess we can scratch him off the list of Bigs we'd like to acquire. We're going to need help a lot sooner than New Year for Perk.

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2010, 02:40:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I wouldn't mind giving Juwan Howard a roster spot.  He's been a solid NBA pro and has length.  He's also good friends with KG.

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2010, 03:02:59 PM »

Offline BlazerLad

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Most any deal involving the Blazers-Celtics will most likely involve another team.  There are few existing options available under existing salary structures to get a deal done without help from a third team.  Perhaps Chicago's Deng could be used to formulate a deal that works for everyone involved.  Possibly the Bulls send Deng to Portland.  Portland sends Przybilla and Rudy to Boston and Bayless to Chicago.  The Celtics send Wallace and Davis to the Bulls.  Other players and picks could be involved to sweeten the deal for everyone involved.

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
If we are looking at Rudy, how do we trade for him?  If we trade Sheed's contract then we need to get back more in salary.  Could we also be targeting Camby or Pryzbilla with Fernandez?
Joel Przybilla had knee surgery in March, so he's going to be out, at least, until late September and maybe out until November. He will take a month or two after that to get up to playing speed, too. Given this, I don't think he's the C's big man answer. Also, with him unavailable it is *highly* unlikely that Portland trades Camby or Oden.

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline fireflighter

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
How about the small forward nicolas batum and Rudy Fernandez for Wallace + Gaffney and Lafayette?   Batum is only 21 years old. Waht do you guy think?

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2010, 04:36:32 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
How about the small forward nicolas batum and Rudy Fernandez for Wallace + Gaffney and Lafayette?   Batum is only 21 years old. Waht do you guy think?

They like Batum too much, and there's no logjam at his position like their is for Rudy. They won't trade a starting SF for a retiring contract.

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 04:43:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2753
Most any deal involving the Blazers-Celtics will most likely involve another team.  There are few existing options available under existing salary structures to get a deal done without help from a third team.  Perhaps Chicago's Deng could be used to formulate a deal that works for everyone involved.  Possibly the Bulls send Deng to Portland.  Portland sends Przybilla and Rudy to Boston and Bayless to Chicago.  The Celtics send Wallace and Davis to the Bulls.  Other players and picks could be involved to sweeten the deal for everyone involved.

sounds great except the part about Glen Davis. If the bulls trade Deng, it's to sign at least two superstars. Giving them Davis would then come back to haunt us in the playoffs.

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
With the relative size of Rudy Fernandez contract being so small, the Celtics could be trying to acquire him for cash or picks/pieces and Sheed'd contract not even be involved. This would make more sense than additional players. I am not sure he is worth a future first unless it is 'big time' protected though.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How about the small forward nicolas batum and Rudy Fernandez for Wallace + Gaffney and Lafayette?   Batum is only 21 years old. Waht do you guy think?
And why,pray tell, would the Trailblazers move their 21 years old starting SF in a salary dump deal?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 985
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
With the relative size of Rudy Fernandez contract being so small, the Celtics could be trying to acquire him for cash or picks/pieces and Sheed'd contract not even be involved. This would make more sense than additional players. I am not sure he is worth a future first unless it is 'big time' protected though.
This would be ideal because it leaves Sheed's contract AND the MLE intact, and I'm really hoping Ainge does something dramatic with those two pieces.

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
This would be ideal because it leaves Sheed's contract AND the MLE intact, and I'm really hoping Ainge does something dramatic with those two pieces.
This gets me excited as well. There are some nice potential scenarios out there to examine. I hope Danny is being very creative with the other GM's. It is really a much more versatile off season position than we had last year in many respects.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »

Offline Papatrichs

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Is Fernandez married? If he is homesick, maybe Boston would be better for him as there are a lot of Hispanic professionals in the Boston area. He might have a better social climate than in Portland. I haven't heard anything negative about him personally and he might be welcomed in the Hispanic community.

maybe he misses Sergio...

that makes sense..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:57:03 PM by Papatrichs »

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2010, 10:54:34 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Rudy is not happy in Portland. There are reports in Spain that Real Madrid, who also signed Sergio Rodriguez this summer, trying to lure him. And they are loaded, so a good contract won't be a problem for them.

I think he could be a good fit for the C's, and now is an excellent time to get him.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2010, 11:04:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Rudy is not happy in Portland. There are reports in Spain that Real Madrid, who also signed Sergio Rodriguez this summer, trying to lure him. And they are loaded, so a good contract won't be a problem for them.

I think he could be a good fit for the C's, and now is an excellent time to get him.
Rudy is unhappy because of the lack of minutes in Portland.

Same problem here in Boston ... unless Ray Allen leaves and Rudy takes over his role.