Author Topic: Talking to David Lee's Agent  (Read 21136 times)

Re: Talking to David Lee's Agent
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 01:30:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I just don't think trading anyone who was a part of our core team when we are trying to make one last run is a good idea. Also Lee's numbers were inflated due to the system he played in and the lack of other rebounders on his team. Those numbers would not come close to translating for the Celtics.

I'd love to have him if we can find out a way to do it without giving up Perk.

Plus... if Lee played here, I'd have to suffer through half of you comparing him to Dave Cowens.   The heck with the bum.  :-P

But seriously ... I'd be freakin ecstatic if we somehow were able to get David Lee.   I'd love to have a big man running the break with Rondo.   Lee's legit.  Not sure about his defense, but that guy can play for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oArCy3AvHbM

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
if we had a handshake mle deal with morrow( young, bright sg with upside above his already impressive #'s) would you s&t ray for lee?
we could then use rasheeds contract to bring in a swing forward like m. williams or outlaw...

NY gets a complimentary player that could help lure a big FA. we get a young athletic rebounding machine. 

I would do this in a heartbeat.  I'd really like for Morrow to take Ray's minutes over the next few years, including this upcoming season.  Getting Lee would be enormous as well, and would be worth taking on Curry's contract.  At least Curry would be able to fill in for Perk while he's rehabbing.  I would love routing for this team!

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Best case scenario for us:

We trade Rasheed, Gaffney, and LaFayette, cash, and a #1 to New York.  We sign David Lee to a deal beginning at $9.9 million per season.  New York cuts Gaffney and LaFayette, and Rasheed retires, leaving New York's cap space intact.

Of course, I don't see a ton of incentive for New York there, since they're giving up an asset for not much of anything, but that's how we could structure it.

I like this idea. That's probably in Lee's range, he'd be a great fit here (for those worried about our defense, our defense was great last year except for securing the ball after missed shots; i'll gladly take lee's defensive rebounding with his other shortcomings...let other celtics cause the misses, Lee sweeps them up), and for NY, they're all about the capspace anyway, right?, so they would be able to pick up an extra first rounder for free.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 01:53:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The knicks really wouldnt have anything to loose in a S+T for Lee... If he is going to walk and sign with another team anyway, and he wants to go to the celtics, the knicks would gladly take a number one from the celtics along with three guys they can cut to keep that same cap space.

I could definitely see them doing a Lee for Ray sign and trade though.

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
if we had a handshake mle deal with morrow( young, bright sg with upside above his already impressive #'s) would you s&t ray for lee?
we could then use rasheeds contract to bring in a swing forward like m. williams or outlaw...

NY gets a complimentary player that could help lure a big FA. we get a young athletic rebounding machine. 

I would do this in a heartbeat.  I'd really like for Morrow to take Ray's minutes over the next few years, including this upcoming season.  Getting Lee would be enormous as well, and would be worth taking on Curry's contract.  At least Curry would be able to fill in for Perk while he's rehabbing.  I would love routing for this team!

Curry's contract is a big asset...   I created a thread about how if Ray was planning to leave we should trade him to the Knicks for Curry's contract and then shop Curry's contract at the deadline.  However, I've since come to realize that Eddy Curr's contract is a big part of New York's pitch to free agents.  They say they can sign 2 max free agents now... and once Curry expires next year, sign another.  I'm sure the Knicks are also well aware that they could move Curry's contract now (or at the deadline) for a top talent (a couple people have suggested they move it right now for Gilbert Arenas as part of the plan to entice Bron, for example)

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 01:59:07 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

We trade Rasheed, Gaffney, and LaFayette, cash, and a #1 to New York.  We sign David Lee to a deal beginning at $9.9 million per season.  New York cuts Gaffney and LaFayette, and Rasheed retires, leaving New York's cap space intact.

Of course, I don't see a ton of incentive for New York there, since they're giving up an asset for not much of anything, but that's how we could structure it.

Throw in Glen Davis then and send the Knicks a list of links to where people here think he's a future all-star.  In all seriousness though, at least Davis would be a cheap option for them and is better than getting just a pick in return.
This won't happen for timing reasons. The only reason they would get involved in an S&T with Lee early on is to get a true max contract to a true max player. If they can get those players without a S&T, they would renounce him for the space. If neither happens, they probably resign Lee. Baby would and the scrubs would just waste their cap space while they are still trying to focus on the big guys.

I suppose there's also the idea of their not wanting to help their top divisional competition for nothing in return.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743

Curry's contract is a big asset...   I created a thread about how if Ray was planning to leave we should trade him to the Knicks for Curry's contract and then shop Curry's contract at the deadline.  However, I've since come to realize that Eddy Curr's contract is a big part of New York's pitch to free agents.  They say they can sign 2 max free agents now... and once Curry expires next year, sign another.  I'm sure the Knicks are also well aware that they could move Curry's contract now (or at the deadline) for a top talent (a couple people have suggested they move it right now for Gilbert Arenas as part of the plan to entice Bron, for example)

why would it be such a big asset at the trading deadline when Ray's contract was not much of an asset in the last trading deadline?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:10:56 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2010, 02:22:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

why would it be such a big asset at the trading deadline when Ray's contract was not much of an asset in the last trading deadline?

It was... we didn't want the contracts of Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison.

Rethink what I mean by "big asset"... you got guys like Iguodola, Monta Ellis, Emeka Okafor, etc... who are arguably "overpaid".  In Feb, those teams might be looking to dump their players in the same way the Wizards dumped Butler and Jamison.   

Boston had deals they could make... they decided they would be best of sticking with Ray and trying their luck going through the season with him.  It also left flexibility for having cap room this year... just in case...  or signing and trading Ray. 

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
However, I've since come to realize that Eddy Curr's contract is a big part of New York's pitch to free agents.  They say they can sign 2 max free agents now... and once Curry expires next year, sign another.  I'm sure the Knicks are also well aware that they could move Curry's contract now (or at the deadline) for a top talent (a couple people have suggested they move it right now for Gilbert Arenas as part of the plan to entice Bron, for example)

I saw that on ESPN, and it's nonsensical; Curry's contract coming off the books does not mean that NY suddenly has cap room to sign more free agents, unless total team payroll (including the two max guys they want to sign this offseason) is <$40M (including cap holdings).  

They could TRADE his expiring contract, but for what...  Arenas?  Elton Brand?

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
However, I've since come to realize that Eddy Curr's contract is a big part of New York's pitch to free agents.  They say they can sign 2 max free agents now... and once Curry expires next year, sign another.  I'm sure the Knicks are also well aware that they could move Curry's contract now (or at the deadline) for a top talent (a couple people have suggested they move it right now for Gilbert Arenas as part of the plan to entice Bron, for example)

I saw that on ESPN, and it's nonsensical; Curry's contract coming off the books does not mean that NY suddenly has cap room to sign more free agents, unless total team payroll (including the two max guys they want to sign this offseason) is <$40M (including cap holdings).  

They could TRADE his expiring contract, but for what...  Arenas?  Elton Brand?

The_Bird.  I COMPLETELY agree with you.  The idea that Curry falls off the books and they can sign another max contract player is completely untrue, but it looks like we have both read it. If that's truly part of their pitch to leBron... they are lying.

However... Curry's contract is still valuable this summer and at the deadline as an expiring contract.  That part is true.

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2010, 02:53:06 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
The value for NY of course is only if they get a Bosh, Dirk or Amare to play with Bron-Bron. Otherwise, I think they will try and keep Lee.

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 03:06:14 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2743

Rethink what I mean by "big asset"... you got guys like Iguodola, Monta Ellis, Emeka Okafor, etc... who are arguably "overpaid".  In Feb, those teams might be looking to dump their players in the same way the Wizards dumped Butler and Jamison.   

Boston had deals they could make... they decided they would be best of sticking with Ray and trying their luck going through the season with him.  It also left flexibility for having cap room this year... just in case...  or signing and trading Ray. 

Butler and Jamison were not such a great value, and that's why the trade didn't happen. I don't see an expiring contract landing an Iguodala or Monta Ellis type of player next yeat, but maybe that's just me.

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Butler and Jamison were not such a great value, and that's why the trade didn't happen. I don't see an expiring contract landing an Iguodala or Monta Ellis type of player next yeat, but maybe that's just me.
ok

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Morrow is restricted, so even if we had a handshake agreement with him, GS can match and completely mess it up.
So, the C's agree to take a big contract off GS (Biedriens? Turiaf?) in exchange for Sheed+G+L's contracts, which they don't have to pay saving them many millions now and in the future, and GS agrees to not match our offer to Morrow.

They get money savings and we get a big and a shooter.

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154

I like this idea. That's probably in Lee's range, he'd be a great fit here (for those worried about our defense, our defense was great last year except for securing the ball after missed shots; i'll gladly take lee's defensive rebounding with his other shortcomings...let other celtics cause the misses, Lee sweeps them up), and for NY, they're all about the capspace anyway, right?, so they would be able to pick up an extra first rounder for free.

Problem is, NY doesn't gain cap space - they lose cap space. Right now, they can just renounce Lee's rights and not have him on the cap at all. Rasheed, until a decision comes, still counts as $6.3 million on their cap, and if he retires, I understand they have to carry half his salary ($3.16 mil) on the cap, which can't be traded so it doesn't help the Knicks. Even a smaller buyout of $1-2 million counts as $1-2 million against the cap.

I thought it could work in a three way deal where we send Rasheed's contract to another team looking to make a quick buck (getting $3 mil to pay $2 mil to Rasheed to buy out his contract and carry the empty money on the books for the season) while sending a max free agent to New York, and New York sends Lee to us on a five year deal starting at $8 million. But it looks like New York will sign Amare to a max five year deal as a free agent, and I don't think there's anybody else out there who's gonna want to sign in New York as a free agent.

I would love to see it though, I think he'd be a great candidate to pick up. Size, rebounding, inside scoring, efficiency. His defense obviously needs work but I don't think he's averse to putting that work in; I just don't think it's been emphasized for him to this point in his career while it would be here.

I think Danny's probably - if he truly has spoken with Lee's agent - just doing his due diligence in saying "we would give you a deal at our full midlevel if that's where you end up having to go, but if any situation arises where the Knicks start talking to you about a sign and trade, call us and we will jump in to do what we can to get you up here and on a winning team."
Go Celtics.