Author Topic: Talking to David Lee's Agent  (Read 21137 times)

Talking to David Lee's Agent
« on: July 02, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I just saw this news and was wondering how this would work for us (not knowing the exact details of Paul's new contract).  Can anyone enlighten me?

I don't think I need to state the obvious, but signing a David Lee would be HUGE!

Re: Talking to David Lee's Agent
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I have no idea how we could afford him. If we steal him for the MLE I would be ecstatic.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
I have no idea how we could afford him. If we steal him for the MLE I would be ecstatic.
This is why I started the thread.  I thought he was completely out of our price range, but he brings exactly what we need up front.  The guy freakin' grabs 12 rebounds a game!

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Best case scenario for us:

We trade Rasheed, Gaffney, and LaFayette, cash, and a #1 to New York.  We sign David Lee to a deal beginning at $9.9 million per season.  New York cuts Gaffney and LaFayette, and Rasheed retires, leaving New York's cap space intact.

Of course, I don't see a ton of incentive for New York there, since they're giving up an asset for not much of anything, but that's how we could structure it.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:50 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

I'm no expert so I'm just asking:

Can't we trade Rasheed's retiring contract, Glen Davis, and some CBA guys (Total about $10) in a S&T for David Lee starting around $11mil / year?  If so, I would jump all over that!

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!

We trade Rasheed, Gaffney, and LaFayette, cash, and a #1 to New York.  We sign David Lee to a deal beginning at $9.9 million per season.  New York cuts Gaffney and LaFayette, and Rasheed retires, leaving New York's cap space intact.

Of course, I don't see a ton of incentive for New York there, since they're giving up an asset for not much of anything, but that's how we could structure it.
So a BBD doesn't work in this scenerio?

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Throw in Glen Davis then and send the Knicks a list of links to where people here think he's a future all-star.  In all seriousness though, at least Davis would be a cheap option for them and is better than getting just a pick in return.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

We trade Rasheed, Gaffney, and LaFayette, cash, and a #1 to New York.  We sign David Lee to a deal beginning at $9.9 million per season.  New York cuts Gaffney and LaFayette, and Rasheed retires, leaving New York's cap space intact.

You could include other guys, as well, if New York was willing to surrender some of its cap space.  The problem is that right now they can sign two "max" free agents, and taking on any additional salary eliminates that option.

If New York gives up on signing two max guys (and I think they will have to), they may have interest in Perk or BBD.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:41:05 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!

Throw in Glen Davis then and send the Knicks a list of links to where people here think he's a future all-star.  In all seriousness though, at least Davis would be a cheap option for them and is better than getting just a pick in return.
And the only way I see the Knicks even considering such an idea is if they know that BronBron is completely off the table (which it appears he already is).

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:48:01 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The curious part is that both Brad Miller and David Lee are represented by Mark Bartlestein, I believe.

I wonder whether this doesn't represent a conflict of interest right there :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The curious part is that both Brad Miller and David Lee are represented by Mark Bartlestein, I believe.

Or maybe it highlights just how wrong the rumor linking Cs to David Lee is.  Maybe the Cs are talking to David Lee's agent... about Brad Miller.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 12:14:20 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Or maybe it highlights just how wrong the rumor linking Cs to David Lee is.  Maybe the Cs are talking to David Lee's agent... about Brad Miller.

Or Vice Versa rendering the Miller rumor wrong... ;)

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:36:30 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

You could include other guys, as well, if New York was willing to surrender some of its cap space.  The problem is that right now they can sign two "max" free agents, and taking on any additional salary eliminates that option.

If New York gives up on signing two max guys (and I think they will have to), they may have interest in Perk or BBD.

Not knowing New York's situation too well, would they have to renounce Lee in order to sign their free agents? I know he's got a pretty decent cap figure and they still have Curry, too. So I don't really know.

If they don't have to renounce him I could see them being interested in Baby and a first for depth.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
if we had a handshake mle deal with morrow( young, bright sg with upside above his already impressive #'s) would you s&t ray for lee?
we could then use rasheeds contract to bring in a swing forward like m. williams or outlaw...

NY gets a complimentary player that could help lure a big FA. we get a young athletic rebounding machine. 

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg

Or Vice Versa rendering the Miller rumor wrong... ;)

Or maybe both are wrong and we're talking to Lindsey Hunter?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.