Author Topic: Rudy Gay - 5 years/$80M with Memphis  (Read 4693 times)

Rudy Gay - 5 years/$80M with Memphis
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:51:30 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Just coming through now:

ESPN.com sources: Gay on verge of verbal agreement on five-year $80 million deal to stay with Memphis Grizzlies

Re: Rudy Gay - 5 years/$80M with Memphis
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
More bad news for the Knicks, since it sounded like Gay was a "Plan C" if they failed to procure LeBron or Joe Johnson.  Seems like New York is the team most likely to completely whiff this offseason.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:59:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
More bad news for the Knicks, since it sounded like Gay was a "Plan C" if they failed to procure LeBron or Joe Johnson.  Seems like New York is the team most likely to completely whiff this offseason.

I still think NYK ends up with one of the biggies (Amare, Boozer, Bosh), and then they'll likely overpay for someone else (Josh Childress, Mike Miller, heck, maybe even Shaq).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Well worth it. And a lot cheaper than JJ. Keeping one of the best starting lineups intact. I heard OJ will be their starting PG. And perhaps sliding rookie Xavier Henry @ 2. Things are finally looking up for that bleak franchise.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:44 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Darn... I was looking forward to the Gay Love era in Minny.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:02:30 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

I still think NYK ends up with one of the biggies (Amare, Boozer, Bosh), and then they'll likely overpay for someone else (Josh Childress, Mike Miller, heck, maybe even Shaq).

In my mind, that would be a failure.  Amare/J-Chill, or Boozer/M-Miller, that's not exactly LeBron/Wade.  Even if they get Bosh (and I'm placing my money on Houston), that's still not what Knick fans put up with the last two seasons for.

I suspect that in the end, their big free-agent signing this offseason will be re-upping David Lee.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:05:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
On a pure value standpoint, they might have overpaid a bit, but this was a good deal.  They are not going to attract players to play in Memphis, so they need to overpay the good ones they get.  I kind of liked their team last year, and now they may actually be able to build on it a bit. 

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
If this deal goes down, ultimately they are over paying him a little bit. But it's certainly not as bad as the Joe Johnson offer.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

In my mind, that would be a failure.  Amare/J-Chill, or Boozer/M-Miller, that's not exactly LeBron/Wade.  Even if they get Bosh (and I'm placing my money on Houston), that's still not what Knick fans put up with the last two seasons for.

I suspect that in the end, their big free-agent signing this offseason will be re-upping David Lee.

I agree that without LBJ or Wade, it will look like the Knicks have failed (at least to their fans).  New Yorkers think the city is the best in the world.

Trust me, I have lived here for the last year and it still puzzles me that New Yorkers (still can't think of myself as one) are shocked that not everyone wants to live here.

IMHO, the best thing NY could do if it fails to nab a quality FA is preserve its cap space.  It will be really valuable later in the season and could be used to trade for a FA.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Is this to keep him in Memphis?

Or to sign and trade him elsewhere? Minnesota would love to trade Al Jefferson for Rudy.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Darn... I was looking forward to the Gay Love era in Minny.

That Joke never gets old. Just think of the possibilities if Mayo, Barns, or House were added to the mix.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
They still need a PG. It was shocking how popular Conley got as the draft approached. He went from a questionable lottery pick to a top guy mostly just because there were no other PGs available. I do not consider him a bust, because I do not believe he was actually expected to be that good.

I expect a lot of guys going for the better money by re-signing.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:32:09 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I was going to be critical at first, since he is restricted, but Chris Wallace was scared of him signing an offer sheet with the first year overloaded at 20 mil or something...

Wait, this locks them into longterm mediocrity...I'm still gonna be critical!

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
They still need a PG. It was shocking how popular Conley got as the draft approached. He went from a questionable lottery pick to a top guy mostly just because there were no other PGs available. I do not consider him a bust, because I do not believe he was actually expected to be that good.

I expect a lot of guys going for the better money by re-signing.
what's wrong with Conley.  He has gotten better every season, is a pretty good shooter, doesn't turn it over much, etc.  He isn't a top ten PG, but he is more then serviceable.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
I was going to be critical at first, since he is restricted, but Chris Wallace was scared of him signing an offer sheet with the first year overloaded at 20 mil or something...

Wait, this locks them into longterm mediocrity...I'm still gonna be critical!

It's a little weird that this deal got done so quickly given that he WAS a restricted free agent.  Could anyone else have signed him to an offer sheet for more?  If not, why do the signing on the first day, why not wait and see how the market shakes out?