Author Topic: Garnett suspended for Game 2  (Read 18864 times)

Re: Garnett suspended for Game 2
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Alot has been covered in this thread already but Ill throw my 2 pennies out there.

1. Unfortunately, the NBA called this in a black ad white fashion. The rules required them to suspend KG. They stripped away the surrounding circumstances (players grabbing at him, Q instigating etc), and zeroed in on that one beautiful camera shot of KG landing a blow to Q's jaw.

It's a moot point now, but for clarification, the rule doesn't require a suspension.  It requires an ejection, which is what happened.  In other words, the NBA used its discretion / subjective judgment, and disciplined NBA in a way that wasn't mandated.

I've got no huge issue with that.  However, in areas that seemed a little more black and white -- a player on the bench couldn't get involved in a confrontation -- the league decided not to act at all.  That seems inconsistent to me, and I think that's why the league deserves some scorn.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2010, 01:19:09 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Because half the Heat bench was up off the bench and getting involved.

Not true.

I love the Celtics, but I also am objective.  Nobody from Miami's bench did anything wrong...

Aren't we all objective here?

« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
i'll admit to not having read all 7 pages of the thread, i just wanted to add that here we were thinking a Sheed technical was gonna cost the C's a playoff game...

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
i'll admit to not having read all 7 pages of the thread, i just wanted to add that here we were thinking a Sheed technical was gonna cost the C's a playoff game...

Although I think we'll do just fine in Game 2, this post is just begging to be TP'd.  :D

« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2010, 03:14:24 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Here's what I want to know:

If those 2 are the only 2 players punished, does that mean that it is alright for a player to:

- Land an elbow on a player's face as long as you did it while trying to free your arm to push another player (Haslem clearly elbows Davis in the face as he is trying to free his arm to push KG)?
- Push a player down on top of fans/bench like Haslem/Oneal did with Davis?
- leave the bench to hold another player who is in the middle of a fracas, like Margloire did holding KG?

That is all I want to know. .

Those are fair questions for sure

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think it's hard to apply the "leaving the bench" rule in the same way when the altercation is right in front of the bench.  Hypothetically let's say Baby is falling over onto, say, Dorell Wright who's sitting on the bench.  If Dorell jumps up and runs a step onto the court to not get smushed, is that suspendable? 

That seems to be the reasoning being applied by the league - given the scrum that was developing it was OK for the Heat players to mill around the immediate area.

However, I don't see how someone like Magliore doesn't get suspended for getting involved while not in the game.  The whole point of the "don't leave the bench" rule is so confrontations don't escalate into a team vs team brawl.  Magliore came off the bench AND escalated the situation.  Should be automatic no matter where on the court it happened.
Maybe they though suspending Magliore would actually help the Heat?

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Just heard it on 'eei. Richardson fined $25K.
If I were coach of the Celts he'd pay well over that to get out of what I'd have done to him in game 2

« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Just heard it on 'eei. Richardson fined $25K.
If I were coach of the Celts he'd pay well over that to get out of what I'd have done to him in game 2

I'm sure Perkins will take some cheap shots.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:59 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
It's all BS. The rules say you can't leave the bench and you can't engage in a scrum from the bench. Therefore,. the Heat players should have removed themselves from the fight towards the end of the court.

The rules don't say "you can, however, enter into a fray if it's directly in front of the bench and shove opposing players into the stands ( O'neal) and throw elbows ( Haslem)".

It says YOU CANNOT ENTER INTO A FRAY, period.

In reality, had the Refs been doing their jobs, this probably wouldn't have happened.

And the only person who probably should be ejected is Quentin. You have to punish the instigator the hardest, always.

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26:28 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
q. Elbow fouls, which make contact above shoulder level, and punching fouls, although recorded as both personal and team fouls, are unsportsmanlike acts. The player will be ejected immediately.

I can't find info on the grounds for a suspension, but I think it's all NBA discretion. And I can't really find benchmarks. Howard threw an elbow, but was not suspended.

« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
q. Elbow fouls, which make contact above shoulder level, and punching fouls, although recorded as both personal and team fouls, are unsportsmanlike acts. The player will be ejected immediately.

I can't find info on the grounds for a suspension, but I think it's all NBA discretion. And I can't really find benchmarks. Howard threw an elbow, but was not suspended.

Are you talking about the elbow at Dalembert? He got suspended for that because he got a T and was not ejected when it happened. Since KG got ejected, they didn't need to suspend him but this is the inconsistent incompetent NBA we're talking about. Honestly I have no problem with the suspension if they want to send a message. My thing is the the tough stance should have extended to the Heat players a good number of whom were out of line as well.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2010, 01:08:48 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Are you talking about the elbow at Dalembert? He got suspended for that because he got a T and was not ejected when it happened. Since KG got ejected, they didn't need to suspend him but this is the inconsistent incompetent NBA we're talking about. Honestly I have no problem with the suspension if they want to send a message. My thing is the the tough stance should have extended to the Heat players a good number of whom were out of line as well.

Sorry. Meant to say he wasn't ejected at the time. And then was suspended.

« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Yeah, it's a discretionary thing.  Usually, the NBA exercises that discretion with a suspension, but there have been notable exceptions, such as elbows by Kobe and Sheed.  See Celticshub for more.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
SO what i don't get is why Sean Avery can get 6 games for talking about sloppy seconds, but Richardson can get away with a post game rant personally attacking other players??

« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2010, 09:49:51 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
SO what i don't get is why Sean Avery can get 6 games for talking about sloppy seconds, but Richardson can get away with a post game rant personally attacking other players??

Different leagues, different images, at least to some extent.  Plus, Avery has more of a history than QRich.