Author Topic: Garnett suspended for Game 2  (Read 18865 times)

Re: Garnett suspended for Game 2
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
the problem is the 4/5 match-up is usually a pretty close one, anyway. if the heat get hot and we get cold, they certainly could beat us. and now, the league has unfairly taken KG from our rotation for game 2 - if you suspend him, you have to suspend haslem, maybe o'neal, and i guess magloire (though that doesn't matter much). haslem threw an elbow at baby, and both of them threw KG and others around in the scuffle. just preposterous.

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
two thoughts on this...

1) the nba has turned into a pansy league.  there was NOTHING that happened in that melee that called for a suspension.  this is the PLAYOFFS - the (pardon the pun) heat is turned up a few notches and a LOT is at stake.  yet this candy ass league just suspended a guy for a few pushes and a lot of bad language.

2) garnett was stupid and wrong.  he did not need to make this show of bravado.  after watching the replay, i see nothing that warranted KG acting all big and bad, trying to be some cocky prick.  i know he thought paul needed mother hen to come to the rescue, but kg didn't prove anything in all that except to show how stupid that was.  you want young guys to play smart, kg?  then don't set an example of stupidity to them...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:10 PM »

Offline JohnBagleyValueMeal

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 176
  • It's not hard to work hard.
As I recall, the Celts won a series last year without KG against a Bulls team that was by FAR better than the 2010 Heat. There's no reason that the Celts can't win game 2.
McHale's favorite ruse is putting paper in the mouths of sleeping teammates. "Try using one of these cocktail napkins," he said. "When just the edge sticks out of a guy's mouth, it looks like he's got fangs. The best part is when he wakes up."
-- Sports Illustrated, 12/19/1983

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
dumb...this sort of thing seems to happen every year for one team or another now

dumb by KG, but dumb by the league too
Yup

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 10:04:05 PM »

Offline dlpin

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 183
Here's what I want to know:

If those 2 are the only 2 players punished, does that mean that it is alright for a player to:

- Land an elbow on a player's face as long as you did it while trying to free your arm to push another player (Haslem clearly elbows Davis in the face as he is trying to free his arm to push KG)?
- Push a player down on top of fans/bench like Haslem/Oneal did with Davis?
- leave the bench to hold another player who is in the middle of a fracas, like Margloire did holding KG?

That is all I want to know. .

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
It's easy to make a judgment call from a computer about the way KG acted, but in the heat of the moment and all of the adrenaline it's really tough to keep yourself in check when you basically get bumrushed by a mob.

KG even admitted he has to have better control, but it really is tough. I just wish the refs had gotten in the middle right away.

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
It's easy to make a judgment call from a computer about the way KG acted, but in the heat of the moment and all of the adrenaline it's really tough to keep yourself in check when you basically get bumrushed by a mob.

KG even admitted he has to have better control, but it really is tough. I just wish the refs had gotten in the middle right away.

no, it's not hard.  KG and Big Baby were the C's who made a big deal out of this.  And sorry, nobody from the C's was "bumrushed by a mob" - that's a bit of embellishment, don't you think?  :P
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2010, 10:26:35 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

no, it's not hard.  KG and Big Baby were the C's who made a big deal out of this.  And sorry, nobody from the C's was "bumrushed by a mob" - that's a bit of embellishment, don't you think?  :P

Big baby, Richardson, Haslem, O'Neal, and even Magloire all caved in on Garnett in a pile. I don't consider that to be an embellishment.

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2010, 10:30:27 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I call this an unfortunate incident and I think Q-Rich is a little punk. I think this will fire up the Celtics and I look for them to play with great intensity in the 2nd game. Also I look for the Celtics to go small and use Marquis Daniels in Game 2. Rasheed Wallace need not play more because I think there are better matchups for the Celtics to exploit.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2010, 10:31:19 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Well this is NOT a good suspension in my mind. KG was being grabbed and held back from a teammate on the ground, why wouldn't he get angry and try to get away from that? Absolutely terrible. Probably the least deserving suspension in the NBA playoffs since that Spurs/Phoenix series that [most likely] cost the Suns a championship.

It's all good, though. if Tony plays like he did on Saturday and we get some more points out of Ray we'll still win with a good effort from Davis and Rasheed.

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
They're still smaller, even without us having Garnett, so we're not necessairily worse wihout him, but different. We also won a game in December against a better team (Magic) without a more critical player (Pierce).

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Yeah, we beat the Heat without KG before. Remember?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=300106014

If you're not certain, this is where the Pierce to Rondo alley-oop happened in order to send the game to OT, which we'd eventually win. Still, we won, clearly it's not impossible.

If the Celtics truly flipped the switch, and will play like they need to defensively, we win this game, and maybe the series on the same night.

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2010, 10:45:31 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
The only person who should have been suspended is Quentin Richardson. Period. He started everything and has a history as a low life character in the NBA

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Well, it was a rotten draw...a league failure and the C's get punished. How could the ref ignore PP being pushed into Miami's bench...did he think laying there was just okay......now they know what we knew, it wasn't okay. You can't lay there, or even be near there...the enemy's quarters...that younger ref , whoever he was. Oneal up off the bench, on the floor pushing BBD, Magliore, running 20 ft to hold KG...all the ref had to do was call an injury timeout, standard behavior....should have at least suspended magliore to show it wasn't one sided....disclipline the ref.....hahah, sure they would....!

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
what a crock. KG shouldn't have been suspended, period. kobe didn't get suspended last year for an incidental elbow to artest's neck that was worse than this one. ridiculous. how you don't suspend haslem, who threw an elbow at baby, if you suspend KG is ridiculous. i'd throw some really hard legal picks and try to knock Q's teeth out if i was boston.

note the word incedental...this wasn't incedental

that said, KG deserves to be suspended, he broke the rules.  Q I think should be as well, as much for his comments calling PP and KG "actresses" If he said they're acting or actors fine, but those are words that can and perhaps will cause another fight
When you love life, life loves you right back