Author Topic: Garnett suspended for Game 2  (Read 18860 times)

Re: Garnett suspended for Game 2
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
No one has avery's history, except maybe Ron Artest.  but still, the tone of the comments, personally directed at individuals by name.  That would never pass in the NFL either.  KG and pierce decided to take the high road and just refuse to comment. 
I think if there had been ANY doubt (which was very little to begin with) about how he wasn't the "victim", he just exposed himself to going up to KG with an agenda.  Coaches have gotten fined for far less about officiating.  This takes it outside the game and made personal comments.

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
SO what i don't get is why Sean Avery can get 6 games for talking about sloppy seconds, but Richardson can get away with a post game rant personally attacking other players??

Avery's comments were beyond innapropriate, and were downright offensive towards towards women. 

Richardson on the other hand was just talking trash.  I am sure he would have gotten more discipline had he made a crude comment similar to Avery's.

And in addition, the two leagues have very different standards, and have different goals in their punishments.  Both leagues have images, and they are trying to maintain them, and Avery's comments were a direct shot at the type of image the NHL wants to portray, while I don't think you can say the same thing about Richardson's.

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
The NBA has been trying to shed the "thug" image for years.  And while this isn't guns in the locker room, trash talking through the media doesn't really help.  It deminishes all that mantra about being competitive ont he court,  I'm going to guess he was at least quietly asked not to talk to the media anymore this series.  If not by the league, definitly by the Heat.

« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2010, 12:42:18 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Here's the article on Realgm:

Garnett Suspended For Game 2

Apr 18, 2010 7:27 PM EST
 Kevin Garnett of the Boston Celtics has been suspended without pay for one game for striking the Miami Heat’s Quentin Richardson in the head with an elbow, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations. Richardson has been fined $25,000 for his role in the altercation.

The incident occurred with 40 seconds remaining in the fourth period of the Celtics’ 85-76 victory over the Heat in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference First Round on Saturday at TD Garden.

Garnett will serve his suspension Tuesday when the Celtics face the Heat in Game 2 at TD Garden.

Via Press

this could be a blessing in disguise that we can use for the entire postseason.  if we come out and win game 2 without kg and have a chip on our shoulder, it might just give us the motivation that we have been lacking.

obviously i want kg playing, but sometimes when a major player goes down for whatever the reason, teams step up

the celts stepped up with their motivation liked i had hoped by the suspension being a blessing in disguise.  lets hope it carries over