Author Topic: Way too much Pierce Love  (Read 12162 times)

Way too much Pierce Love
« on: February 02, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »

Offline rayallen1934

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Which is understandable...And yea i back up Ray Allen because im a Ray Allen fan.

BUT...

What hasnt come out besides Ray Allen's decline is Paul Pierce's...Hes 32 , Ray is 34 , Pierce is already showing signs up decline, by the time he is 34 who knows how bad of shape he will be.

This broken foot might be the end of the line for Ray Allen which seems like everyone wants to be traded now. To me it finally gives an opportunity to get in a REAL RYTHYM not just  waiting on the corner to even get a play called for him.

Ive had enough of the Paul Pierce ISOLATION and his countless turnovers, im tired of him using the clock wrong and waiting 3 seconds before he even makes a move, only to throw up a horrid shot or turn it over.

Ray Allen has been slumping...But Paul Pierce has not been that much better this year. He is lucky hes shooting his three pointers at a sick rate or else this would be a pretty lackluster year for him.

I like Paul Pierce and hes still a go to guy...but hes almost done, hes got two years on Ray, but is not even in the same league in terms of taking care of his body.

I hope Ray does not get traded, and gets to show that he can still pour in points given the chance. We all know Ray takes just as much shots as Pierce about 12 or 13, but to me Ray gets lost way too much in the offense and he gets tuned out for long stretches. Ray Allen can still score tons of points, but hopefully Doc Rivers doesnt run him into the ground. It baffles me to see a 34 year old Ray Allen playing insane amount of minutes, furthermore not being correctly integrated into the offense when he is in their.

Re: Way too much Pierce Love
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:05:12 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
please.....

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Which is understandable...And yea i back up Ray Allen because im a Ray Allen fan.

BUT...

What hasnt come out besides Ray Allen's decline is Paul Pierce's...Hes 32 , Ray is 34 , Pierce is already showing signs up decline, by the time he is 34 who knows how bad of shape he will be.

This broken foot might be the end of the line for Ray Allen which seems like everyone wants to be traded now. To me it finally gives an opportunity to get in a REAL RYTHYM not just  waiting on the corner to even get a play called for him.

Ive had enough of the Paul Pierce ISOLATION and his countless turnovers, im tired of him using the clock wrong and waiting 3 seconds before he even makes a move, only to throw up a horrid shot or turn it over.

Ray Allen has been slumping...But Paul Pierce has not been that much better this year. He is lucky hes shooting his three pointers at a sick rate or else this would be a pretty lackluster year for him.

I like Paul Pierce and hes still a go to guy...but hes almost done, hes got two years on Ray, but is not even in the same league in terms of taking care of his body.

I hope Ray does not get traded, and gets to show that he can still pour in points given the chance. We all know Ray takes just as much shots as Pierce about 12 or 13, but to me Ray gets lost way too much in the offense and he gets tuned out for long stretches. Ray Allen can still score tons of points, but hopefully Doc Rivers doesnt run him into the ground. It baffles me to see a 34 year old Ray Allen playing insane amount of minutes, furthermore not being correctly integrated into the offense when he is in their.

Completely agree.

I just find it funny, that the player  a lot of people want to trade (ray), is and has been the healthiest player on the team!!!

I just feel bad for Ray, because he may end up getting traded because his teammates cant stay healthy. (not saying all of the injuries are self inflicted- just stating the facts).

His play has decreased recently during this stretch, but he has slumped before, and it wasn't a big deal then. The difference from then to no was Ray could slump, but their were other HEALTHY guys around him who could pick up the slack, or take their games up another level to
compensate.

So Ray hasn't declined much at all, because he's had strecthes like this in the past. KG's decline and Paul's decline have been more drastic out of the 3. KG and Paul are the one's who haven't had stretches like this over the past 3 years.

And Rays minutes keep going up, I'm a surprised he hasn't hurt himself with the kind of minutes he has logged, given his age.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »

Offline Hila

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
Aw, there's no such thing as too much Pierce love. He stuck with the Celtics through the worst of the worst and came out the other side with a title. He's been with the Celtics his whole career at a time when that just doesn't happen (excepting Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, and big Z).

But I do take your point that old man Ray has been the only one healthy enough to show up for every game this year. But if there's no Pierce and a one-legged-maybe KG going forward, it doesn't matter how healthy Ray manages to keep himself... the Celtics aren't winning with or without him.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Aw, there's no such thing as too much Pierce love. He stuck with the Celtics through the worst of the worst and came out the other side with a title. He's been with the Celtics his whole career at a time when that just doesn't happen (excepting Kobe, Duncan, Dirk, and big Z).

But I do take your point that old man Ray has been the only one healthy enough to show up for every game this year. But if there's no Pierce and a one-legged-maybe KG going forward, it doesn't matter how healthy Ray manages to keep himself... the Celtics aren't winning with or without him.

I wish I could hit the giveth one button over and over and over again for this

Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 06:37:31 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
This thread continues the weird Celtics dynamic by which fans of the team draw lines in the sand and pull for their guy to shine above the potential for team success.  I really don't see how the team's championship odds get better with an injured Pierce, so I don't see the point of this.

That said, if we ignore the partisanship and just look at on-court potential, the Celtics could still be a very effective regular season team if everyone else gets/remains healthy while Pierce is out.  This is a big if, but they should still be a dominant defense and Rondo/KG/Ray could still form the triangle of a strong team offense. 

I definitely don't think that a Pierce injury means that all is lost or that trades necessarily have to be made, but with the uncertainty already swirling around Garnett this wasn't a great time for this news.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 06:49:49 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I'm 24 years old. Pierce is my Larry Bird.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I'm 24 years old. Pierce is my Larry Bird.

i am 35 and i put him up there with bird as a TRUE celtic. you can never give a guy like PP too much love.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Paul Pierce has always appeared more out of shape than he actually is. He doesn't make it look easy, he's just really good. But its been that way for a long time.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Coooold Bloodedddd!!! And not necessary.

Paul Pierce is the reason why I'm a Celtics Fan.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Paul Pierce is a warrior. He stuck with this team when they were the laughingstock of the league. He is one of my favorite players in the history of the Celtics and I have been a fan for 40-plus year.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
if you don't love Paul Pierce you're unamerican...

well maybe not,  but still

PP has gone through countless lottery teams, a near fatal stabbing, having Antoine Walker as his best teammate for the majority of his career - and he finally gets to put it together 2 years ago with a truly amazing supporting cast.  I will always support the Truth.  He is the leader of this team emotionally; he is a true Celtic.
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
if you don't love Paul Pierce you're unamerican...

well maybe not,  but still

PP has gone through countless lottery teams, a near fatal stabbing, having Antoine Walker as his best teammate for the majority of his career - and he finally gets to put it together 2 years ago with a truly amazing supporting cast.  I will always support the Truth.  He is the leader of this team emotionally; he is a true Celtic.

WELL SAID DEAR SIR...well said

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
There can never be too much love for a player like Paul Pierce.  Not after all he's given to this organization for over a decade.  Any effort to minimalize the amount of fan pride towards Paul Pierce is gonna get you flamed by the majority of Celtics fans. 

The OP is correct that Ray Allen has been the healthiest one so far but let's face it that Ray & Pierce are not interchangable.  Pierce is one of the very few guys that can create his own shot on this team.  He can shoot from the outside, drive to the rim, shoot the fadeaway, etc.. 

Ray's game is more finesse at this point.  Running off screens and such.  His ability to create his own shot just really isn't there anymore.  Certainly not at the level of Pierce. 

Losing either one of these guys is bad news.  However, at this stage of things, losing Pierce is worse than losing Ray. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS

BUT...

I don't think your problem is that there's too much Pierce love, but not enough for Ray... your username kind of gives it away.

Ray Allen is averaging slightly more shots per game than Paul Pierce. Paul turns it over a whopping 0.7 times more per game than Ray.

There is nothing lucky about how Pierce has been shooting. It's called hard work. It's nothing against Ray, but Paul is just better and really, always has been. He's having an incredibly efficient year and on top of that is a Celtic-lifer, so he'll always get more respect/loyalty from fans than Ray will, as awesome as RA is.