Author Topic: Way too much Pierce Love  (Read 12165 times)

Re: Way too much Pierce Love
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 07:21:43 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!
paul been here battling for a long time...cant help but love him

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 740
  • MASTER OF PANIC
PP committed to this team before they made the big trades..he took this team to the ECF with nobody around him. i cant believe anyone would say he is getting too much love. he is celtic pride...he is boston toughness personified....i wasn't old enough to see cousey, hondo, russell, cowens. tommy but i was lucky to grow up on bird, mchale, parrish, DJ, reggie...and PP has taken that legacy and continued that. i love ray allen too but PP IS boston basketball.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline rayallen1934

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Which is understandable...And yea i back up Ray Allen because im a Ray Allen fan.

BUT...

What hasnt come out besides Ray Allen's decline is Paul Pierce's...Hes 32 , Ray is 34 , Pierce is already showing signs up decline, by the time he is 34 who knows how bad of shape he will be.

This broken foot might be the end of the line for Ray Allen which seems like everyone wants to be traded now. To me it finally gives an opportunity to get in a REAL RYTHYM not just  waiting on the corner to even get a play called for him.

Ive had enough of the Paul Pierce ISOLATION and his countless turnovers, im tired of him using the clock wrong and waiting 3 seconds before he even makes a move, only to throw up a horrid shot or turn it over.

Ray Allen has been slumping...But Paul Pierce has not been that much better this year. He is lucky hes shooting his three pointers at a sick rate or else this would be a pretty lackluster year for him.

I like Paul Pierce and hes still a go to guy...but hes almost done, hes got two years on Ray, but is not even in the same league in terms of taking care of his body.

I hope Ray does not get traded, and gets to show that he can still pour in points given the chance. We all know Ray takes just as much shots as Pierce about 12 or 13, but to me Ray gets lost way too much in the offense and he gets tuned out for long stretches. Ray Allen can still score tons of points, but hopefully Doc Rivers doesnt run him into the ground. It baffles me to see a 34 year old Ray Allen playing insane amount of minutes, furthermore not being correctly integrated into the offense when he is in their.

I don't think your problem is that there's too much Pierce love, but not enough for Ray... your username kind of gives it away.

Ray Allen is averaging slightly more shots per game than Paul Pierce. Paul turns it over a whopping 0.7 times more per game than Ray.

There is nothing lucky about how Pierce has been shooting. It's called hard work. It's nothing against Ray, but Paul is just better and really, always has been. He's having an incredibly efficient year and on top of that is a Celtic-lifer, so he'll always get more respect/loyalty from fans than Ray will, as awesome as RA is.

u kinda missed the point. But it also proves my point that Pierce gets love and no criticism or realism in his declining game

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 07:25:05 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
So you want a thread to criticize Paul? Ok. You should probably just know that he's shooting his highest FG%, 3P% and FT% of his career, along with a career-low in FG attempts. But if you want to find reason to slam him when Ray is the one who is having serious problems, that's cool.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 07:25:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Which is understandable...And yea i back up Ray Allen because im a Ray Allen fan.

BUT...

What hasnt come out besides Ray Allen's decline is Paul Pierce's...Hes 32 , Ray is 34 , Pierce is already showing signs up decline, by the time he is 34 who knows how bad of shape he will be.

This broken foot might be the end of the line for Ray Allen which seems like everyone wants to be traded now. To me it finally gives an opportunity to get in a REAL RYTHYM not just  waiting on the corner to even get a play called for him.

Ive had enough of the Paul Pierce ISOLATION and his countless turnovers, im tired of him using the clock wrong and waiting 3 seconds before he even makes a move, only to throw up a horrid shot or turn it over.

Ray Allen has been slumping...But Paul Pierce has not been that much better this year. He is lucky hes shooting his three pointers at a sick rate or else this would be a pretty lackluster year for him.

I like Paul Pierce and hes still a go to guy...but hes almost done, hes got two years on Ray, but is not even in the same league in terms of taking care of his body.

I hope Ray does not get traded, and gets to show that he can still pour in points given the chance. We all know Ray takes just as much shots as Pierce about 12 or 13, but to me Ray gets lost way too much in the offense and he gets tuned out for long stretches. Ray Allen can still score tons of points, but hopefully Doc Rivers doesnt run him into the ground. It baffles me to see a 34 year old Ray Allen playing insane amount of minutes, furthermore not being correctly integrated into the offense when he is in their.

I don't think your problem is that there's too much Pierce love, but not enough for Ray... your username kind of gives it away.

Ray Allen is averaging slightly more shots per game than Paul Pierce. Paul turns it over a whopping 0.7 times more per game than Ray.

There is nothing lucky about how Pierce has been shooting. It's called hard work. It's nothing against Ray, but Paul is just better and really, always has been. He's having an incredibly efficient year and on top of that is a Celtic-lifer, so he'll always get more respect/loyalty from fans than Ray will, as awesome as RA is.

u kinda missed the point. But it also proves my point that Pierce gets love and no criticism or realism in his declining game

He's not immune from critcism by any means.  

Go through the forums and see how many people complain about his ISO plays these days.  Quite a few.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i made the point that he didnt look healthy after the knee drain and his game was suffering b/c of it...but before the knee drain he was playing some great basketball. he will get it back and i hope the ankle/foot is just a minor thing

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Way too LITTLE Pierce love ... he's hugely under-rated and under-appreciated in my opinion, and always has been, and what small recognition he received with the Finals MVP Award was way too late in coming. He carried this franchise on his back for many years by himself, and gave us die-hards the ONLY thing worth watching in those lean years.

Along with having those undefinable intagibles that people toss around, and along with being the Captain and leader of this team, he is also first on the team in scoring, first (by a huge margin) in getting to the line, first in three-point percentage, second in assists (to Rondo only), third in free-throw percentage, third in rebounds, fourth in steals, and fifth in blocks.

He could easily hog the ball all the time if he wanted to, and get more of the "superstar" numbers that he's capable of, but he is committed to making his team-mates better and putting the good of the team first, so he takes a second seat to the regular 30 or 40 point games he's able to produce, and just quietly goes about being the most successful and versatile player in green since Larry Bird.

Yet sports announcers and commentators and fans are still reluctant to this day to give him the credit he deserves. No, I seriously doubt that there is any danger of Paul Pierce ever getting "too much" love ... no way.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
To continue -- even though they did not win the championship my favorite memory of Pierce is when he and Antoine led the Celtics to the greatest playoff comeback in NBA history against the Nets. I Love Paul Pierce.

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
It's amazing to me that there are supposed Celtic fans ready and willing to throw Pierce under the bus because he dove on the floor for a loose ball. This has nothing to do with age or weight or anything else other than hustle.  In other words it could have happened to anyone, even your beloved Ray Ray.  

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2010, 07:36:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2010, 07:44:44 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
This thread continues the weird Celtics dynamic by which fans of the team draw lines in the sand and pull for their guy to shine above the potential for team success.  I really don't see how the team's championship odds get better with an injured Pierce, so I don't see the point of this.

Excellently stated, drza.  This type of thread nauseates me.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2010, 07:51:15 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Huh?? (Thread title)

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2010, 07:52:19 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
i have always had a hard time gravitating to pierce...  i respect him, but i'm not really a fan of his.  but i've NEVER questioned his passion for basketball.  i think he has felt a burden to be a great CELTIC (in the long line of the former greats).  i don't think i'll ever fall in love with his game, but he's poured his heart and soul into this franchise, and for that i'm appreciative.

and hopefully he's got that wheelchair handy... :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
To continue -- even though they did not win the championship my favorite memory of Pierce is when he and Antoine led the Celtics to the greatest playoff comeback in NBA history against the Nets. I Love Paul Pierce.

TP4U.

That, and the game when he lit up LA for 42 points, I believe...the game that earned him the Nickname "Truth" from Shaqtus..

Too bad they lost, but still..the guy was on fire.

How about the game when he lit up Rookie Durant of the then Seattle Supersonics for 37?

Heck the man nearly matched Durant pt for pt in the OKC game this yr until he sat out the 3rd qtr.

Man may be older, but he can still score a bunch. P2 doesn't get quite enough love if you ask me.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 08:03:40 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • MASTER OF PANIC
they should take the jersey off his back after his last game and put 34 in the rafters