Author Topic: Interesting Podcast  (Read 3712 times)

Interesting Podcast
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:30:40 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Whether or not you like Simmons, his current podcast with Chad Ford has alot of interesting tidbids on trades, the 2010 FA market, past drafts, Daryl Morey, Danny Ainge, various other GMs, owners, etc...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=4817128
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Interesting Podcast
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:38:43 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Yeah, I listened to it one hour ago and thought it was interesting, except for the Celtics part since Bill Simmons showed his bias once again and compromised his own arguments.

For the rest of the podcast, it was really interesting, and I hope we will see some trades before the deadline - but hopefully no trades that improve other contenders.

Now that I've listened to this podcast and heard about all their praise about John Wall, I want to see Kentucky play to find how special he is. :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:46:47 PM by Drucci »

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Can anyone Recap?

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Can anyone Recap?

On the Celtics :

Simmons said that Danny Ainge has been on vacation since the 2008 championship, claiming that since then his draft picks jave been bad, that the Sheed's signing was terrible (he acknlowedged he had a good game against Toronto but said he was out of shape and that he plays with motivation 1 game out of 6), that Marquis Daniels was hurt and that it was not a surprise (so it was a bad signing in his opinion), and he feels like the Celtics are missing a piece like PJ Brown to win the championship.

To give my opinion on the subject, I think he is flat out wrong about Rasheed and he can't really criticize the Daniels signing. Sure, Marquis is injury prone, but he was the best option for the Celtics this summer, the only realistic one, and he agreed to a cheaper contract to play for them. It was a situation perfectly handed by Ainge, he couldn't have done any better... Marquis has a history of injury but he is a great player for our bench and he agreed to a discount. Can't ask for much more, considering what our options were.

Simmons is worried about the starters' minutes, especially Rondo's (can't disagree with him on that point), and the lack of depth. He said that the Celtics should do the following trade in a heartbeat if Chicago called them to give them Hinrich for our expirings + a draft pick. Ford mentioned that the problem was money and quoted the Nocioni possible trade as an example.

Ford also made Simmons realize that Ainge's draft choices/targets turned out to be really good ones, while Simmons thought he did a poor job ; the Jefferson, Durant, Tyreke Evans (Ainge was really high on him last summer), Baby examples came to mind. Simmons acknowledged that Danny was really good at sensing which player could become a really good one or a star.

About the rest of the league :

They discussed the Bosh for Bynum trade idea and said it would be good for both teams.

They discussed for a long time the 2010 free agency market, basically concluded that NY had no chances of signing good players (not enough cap space) and that Miami was the team with the best chances of signing Bosh, Wade or LeBron, or the three of them. They are convinced that the three of them could sign in Miami and accept paycuts in order to do so. Pretty scary thoughts, by the way...

They mentioned Chicago as a good destination for these players too, but the Bulls have to get rid of Hinrich's contract to get more cap space.

They also praised Tyreke Evans for his game and the fact that Kings are really a good surprise this season. They think they should trade Kevin Martin and put Evans back to the guard position.

Simmons and Ford also discussed David Kahn and Al Jefferson. Basically criticized Kahn ; Simmons suggested a good trade idea between the Wizards, Wolves and Rockets, that would send T-Mac and Butler to Minnesota, Jefferson to Houston with expirings, and Scola draft picks to Washington.

Finally, they praised John Wall and said there is no way he is not the #1 pick next summer. Said Wall would be remembered as a top draft pick of the past 10 years like LeBron and Durant.

Hope I have mentioned all the interesting things discussed in the podcast, but it's always better to listen to it. :)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Oops, wrong button, I wanted to edit my post and quoted myself instead. Please suppress this message. :-X

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Can anyone Recap?

On the Celtics :

Simmons said that Danny Ainge has been on vacation since the 2008 championship, claiming that since then his draft picks jave been bad, that the Sheed's signing was terrible (he acknlowedged he had a good game against Toronto but said he was out of shape and that he plays with motivation 1 game out of 6), that Marquis Daniels was hurt and that it was not a surprise (so it was a bad signing in his opinion), and he feels like the Celtics are missing a piece like PJ Brown to win the championship.

To give my opinion on the subject, I think he is flat out wrong about Rasheed and he can't really criticize the Daniels signing. Sure, Marquis is injury prone, but he was the best option for the Celtics this summer, the only realistic one, and he agreed to a cheaper contract to play for them. It was a situation perfectly handed by Ainge, he couldn't have done any better... Marquis has a history of injury but he is a great player for our bench and he agreed to a discount. Can't ask for much more, considering what our options were.

Simmons is worried about the starters' minutes, especially Rondo's (can't disagree with him on that point), and the lack of depth. He said that the Celtics should do the following trade in a heartbeat if Chicago called them to give them Hinrich for our expirings + a draft pick. Ford mentioned that the problem was money and quoted the Nocioni possible trade as an example.

Ford also made Simmons realize that Ainge's draft choices/targets turned out to be really good ones, while Simmons thought he did a poor job ; the Jefferson, Durant, Tyreke Evans (Ainge was really high on him last summer), Baby examples came to mind. Simmons acknowledged that Danny was really good at sensing which player could become a really good one or a star.

About the rest of the league :

They discussed the Bosh for Bynum trade idea and said it would be good for both teams.

They discussed for a long time the 2010 free agency market, basically concluded that NY had no chances of signing good players (not enough cap space) and that Miami was the team with the best chances of signing Bosh, Wade or LeBron, or the three of them. They are convinced that the three of them could sign in Miami and accept paycuts in order to do so. Pretty scary thoughts, by the way...

They mentioned Chicago as a good destination for these players too, but the Bulls have to get rid of Hinrich's contract to get more cap space.

They also praised Tyreke Evans for his game and the fact that Kings are really a good surprise this season. They think they should trade Kevin Martin and put Evans back to the guard position.

Simmons and Ford also discussed David Kahn and Al Jefferson. Basically criticized Kahn ; Simmons suggested a good trade idea between the Wizards, Wolves and Rockets, that would send T-Mac and Butler to Minnesota, Jefferson to Houston with expirings, and Scola draft picks to Washington.

Finally, they praised John Wall and said there is no way he is not the #1 pick next summer. Said Wall would be remembered as a top draft pick of the past 10 years like LeBron and Durant.

Hope I have mentioned all the interesting things discussed in the podcast, but it's always better to listen to it. :)

wow, Drucci -- serious recap!

I didn't think the Ainge stuff was a big deal. He was trying to point out the importance of Morey, who has been a draft master since moving over to Houston. But Ford points out some great picks and instincts, and Simmons basically agrees. They left Powe out of the Cs second round steals.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Yea, I don't know what Simmons' gripe is with Ainge. I love how he just dismisses Perk as a good pick, yet says that Carl Landry was a great pick. They were drafted at essentially the same spot and I'm sure Perk has more value leaguewide. He praises his buddy Morey for Budinger and Landry and manages to ignore Powe and Gomes altogether.

I still do read every Simmons article, but he doesn't know as much as he claims to.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:46:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I listened to it yesterday and I liked it overall, interesting thoughts. Bill definitely gets overly down on the C's, just in LA too much.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:11 PM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Yeah, I listened to it one hour ago and thought it was interesting, except for the Celtics part since Bill Simmons showed his bias once again and compromised his own arguments.

For the rest of the podcast, it was really interesting, and I hope we will see some trades before the deadline - but hopefully no trades that improve other contenders.

Now that I've listened to this podcast and heard about all their praise about John Wall, I want to see Kentucky play to find how special he is. :)

As a HUGE Kentucky fan, I can say he is nothing short of amazing.  His maturity and ability to make the right play and say the right things is remarkable since he's only a freshman.  I pleaded a year ago that i hope the celts made a trade w the nets to get the first pick to get a chance on this guy, who i've loved sinced high school and i think he is going to be a fantastic player in the league.

Another guy that i think would be a steal, but will probably be a lottery pick this year anyways is Cousins.  His ability at 6'11 is remarkable.  His minutes are usually limited due to foul trouble, but his per minute average of points and rebounds is nothing short of phenomenal.  There was an article on espn that said he was the best rebounder in the country, and its not even close.  He still has a lot of improvement ahead of him, but his footwork and ability with the ball is very Amare like.

Call me a homer, but i hope the celts are lucky enough to land one of these two, or patterson, which is unlikely considering they all will be in or near the lottery.  I've been lucky, considering McCarty, Walker, Mercer, Delk, and Rondo all have ended up on the celtics.

The UK connection is even a little stronger now as i remember an article that said calipari and Doc are good friends and talk quite often.  Calipari spoke of how he consulted Doc about his offense using multiple bigs since uk seems to have multiple good options there.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, except for Wall I do not see a single "can't miss" prospect in this year's class.

I listened to the podcast and thought Drucci's summary captured the highlights. I agree with Ford and Simmons that Bosh for Bynum makes sense-- but it makes alot more sense for the Raptors than for the Lakers, who don't need another soft (but very expensive) player to match with Gasol.

We all scoffed at Simmons' pessemistic view of Garnett's knee, but events may prove him to have been right all along. 

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Yea, I don't know what Simmons' gripe is with Ainge. I love how he just dismisses Perk as a good pick, yet says that Carl Landry was a great pick. They were drafted at essentially the same spot and I'm sure Perk has more value leaguewide. He praises his buddy Morey for Budinger and Landry and manages to ignore Powe and Gomes altogether.

I still do read every Simmons article, but he doesn't know as much as he claims to.

Think you need to watch Carl Landry play. He's going off. Also, remember that Perk has been a pro much longer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Well, except for Wall I do not see a single "can't miss" prospect in this year's class.

I listened to the podcast and thought Drucci's summary captured the highlights. I agree with Ford and Simmons that Bosh for Bynum makes sense-- but it makes alot more sense for the Raptors than for the Lakers, who don't need another soft (but very expensive) player to match with Gasol.

We all scoffed at Simmons' pessemistic view of Garnett's knee, but events may prove him to have been right all along. 

I agree with you across the board here, Brick. Simmons negativity doesn't really bother me. He's got some gripes that are reasonably fair (over estimation of our bench considering Wallace's age and Daniels' injury history, for example).

This team needs another meaningful player somewhere between 1 and 3.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
Thanks for the details about John Wall, cordialb, I'm definitely looking forward to see him play!

ssspence > I can understand Simmons' criticism about our bench but what bothers me is that he doesn't say what moves he would have made if he was Ainge, because he knows that the Celtics options were limited. But he makes sure he doesn't mention that so that he can criticize Ainge for picking Sheed and Marquis (while you can be sure he would have destroyed him had he signed nobody...).

Criticize Ainge if you want, but then mention, to be fair, that he had limited options. Or criticize him and give your opinion on which players available at the time you would have signed if you were the GM of the Celtics. But free criticism like that is malhonest, in my opinion.

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »

Offline jadams5214

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
One things that stood out in the podcast also was when Simmons asked Chad Ford if he had heard anything about KG and the severity of his knee injury.

The response from Ford was a quick, 'no I haven't heard anything and find that to be strange'

Then Ford quickly changed the subject to Danny Ainge and there was no further discussion of KG.
Definitely a bit concerning...

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85

Think you need to watch Carl Landry play. He's going off. Also, remember that Perk has been a pro much longer.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am a big Carl Landry fan. But these above average, undersized 4's seem to be dime a dozen in the league. Dwight Howard stoppers, on the other hand...

Also, Perk is a year younger.

It's fun to note that Ainge had planned to take Landry if he was still on the board.