Author Topic: Interesting Podcast  (Read 3711 times)

Re: Interesting Podcast
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, except for Wall I do not see a single "can't miss" prospect in this year's class.

I listened to the podcast and thought Drucci's summary captured the highlights. I agree with Ford and Simmons that Bosh for Bynum makes sense-- but it makes alot more sense for the Raptors than for the Lakers, who don't need another soft (but very expensive) player to match with Gasol.

We all scoffed at Simmons' pessemistic view of Garnett's knee, but events may prove him to have been right all along. 

I agree with you across the board here, Brick. Simmons negativity doesn't really bother me. He's got some gripes that are reasonably fair (over estimation of our bench considering Wallace's age and Daniels' injury history, for example).

This team needs another meaningful player somewhere between 1 and 3.

Actually I did not agree with the Sheed bashing.  Sheed has played very well.  Even when missing from the outside, he defends the post and rebounds.  He's also an excellent outlet passer.

The Celtics need a decent backup point guard.  House isn't the answer.

Given how well TA has been playing, I would like to see a 2nd unit backcourt of TA and Daniels.  But that is still an experiment. A better solution would be a real backup pg.

Kevin Ollie would have been perfect for this team. Alas...

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 04:56:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Thanks for the details about John Wall, cordialb, I'm definitely looking forward to see him play!

ssspence > I can understand Simmons' criticism about our bench but what bothers me is that he doesn't say what moves he would have made if he was Ainge, because he knows that the Celtics options were limited. But he makes sure he doesn't mention that so that he can criticize Ainge for picking Sheed and Marquis (while you can be sure he would have destroyed him had he signed nobody...).

Criticize Ainge if you want, but then mention, to be fair, that he had limited options. Or criticize him and give your opinion on which players available at the time you would have signed if you were the GM of the Celtics. But free criticism like that is malhonest, in my opinion.

Drucci, I hear you and agree -- but let's remember Simmons' job is to be a know-it-all jerk. That's how he makes his money. So his association with the Cs aside, I don't take him at his word much.

I do think his criticisms (Sheed's inconsistacy, 'Quis undeniable injury history) are fair. Danny could have signed some other insurance policies in the backcourt and / or on the wing (like he did with Sheldon Williams), no matter how flawed, but he did choose not to.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Yea, I don't know what Simmons' gripe is with Ainge. I love how he just dismisses Perk as a good pick, yet says that Carl Landry was a great pick. They were drafted at essentially the same spot and I'm sure Perk has more value leaguewide. He praises his buddy Morey for Budinger and Landry and manages to ignore Powe and Gomes altogether.

I still do read every Simmons article, but he doesn't know as much as he claims to.

Think you need to watch Carl Landry play. He's going off. Also, remember that Perk has been a pro much longer.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am a big Carl Landry fan. But these above average, undersized 4's seem to be dime a dozen in the league. Dwight Howard stoppers, on the other hand...

Also, Perk is a year younger.

It's fun to note that Ainge had planned to take Landry if he was still on the board.

Landry is the best of that bunch.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 05:34:56 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Well, except for Wall I do not see a single "can't miss" prospect in this year's class.

I listened to the podcast and thought Drucci's summary captured the highlights. I agree with Ford and Simmons that Bosh for Bynum makes sense-- but it makes alot more sense for the Raptors than for the Lakers, who don't need another soft (but very expensive) player to match with Gasol.

We all scoffed at Simmons' pessemistic view of Garnett's knee, but events may prove him to have been right all along. 

I agree with you across the board here, Brick. Simmons negativity doesn't really bother me. He's got some gripes that are reasonably fair (over estimation of our bench considering Wallace's age and Daniels' injury history, for example).

This team needs another meaningful player somewhere between 1 and 3.

Actually I did not agree with the Sheed bashing.  Sheed has played very well.  Even when missing from the outside, he defends the post and rebounds.  He's also an excellent outlet passer.

The Celtics need a decent backup point guard.  House isn't the answer.

Given how well TA has been playing, I would like to see a 2nd unit backcourt of TA and Daniels.  But that is still an experiment. A better solution would be a real backup pg.

Kevin Ollie would have been perfect for this team. Alas...

Where in the world is Kevin Ollie??
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 06:06:48 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
OK City.

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 06:41:41 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Whether or not you like Simmons, his current podcast with Chad Ford has alot of interesting tidbids on trades, the 2010 FA market, past drafts, Daryl Morey, Danny Ainge, various other GMs, owners, etc...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=4817128

I couldn't get past halfway. The idea that Danny can't find sleepers in the draft was asinine ( Baby, Leon, Rondo, Delonte) In fact, I think the only reason we expect Bill Walker to be good is because Danny drafted him in the second round. ;)

Also, Simmons goes on and on about the how there aren't the character issues in today's NBA that there were 15 years ago. in other news, NBA all star Gilbert Arenas was charged with felony gun possession.

Its hard to listen to someone that disconnected from reality.