Author Topic: Don't underestimate the impact of losing Leon Powe, and TA and BBD being injured  (Read 11829 times)

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
Loosing Leon Powe and having Tony Allen and Big Baby injured. Whether you like TA or not...he, along with Baby (and Leon when he was with us) brought something we are sorely missing so far this year... and that is young, athletic, physical, brawling type players off the bench who put some real smack on people from their positions.

Those three guys brought:

1. Physical intensity
2. Young, energetic legs to mix with the Vets
3. Leon especially brought some inspirational heart

We won't get Leon back. But having Baby smacking people around and chasing down loose balls and having Tony add some defesnive wing speed and physcial play will help us alot.

I'm looking forward to seeing a lineup on the foor of:

Sheed
Baby
Daniels
TAllen
House

Alot of toughness, speed and scoring in a bench unit.

Not to mention the mix and match with Baby and Perk or Sheed, etc.

One key thing Tony will allow by playign some two minutes, is for us to play Daniels a bit more at small forward so we won't be at such a speed disadvantage against these faster teams.

This combined with Daniels and Sheed and our starters ahving another 1-2 months to work on chemistry and you might see a very, very different and very dominating team once again.

I think it just may take a bit longer this year to have it all Gel. But once it does this team might be superior to  the 08 team.     

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:07:03 PM by IndeedProceed »

Re: Don't underestimate the impact of....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
well Leon Powe is the next Moses Malone (according to Tommy Heinsohn)...

::)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:40:02 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
The only way I'd be interested in Tony Allen playing significant minutes off the bench would be if he somehow learned to play basketball without turning the ball over a ton and hurting himself (and / or others).  I'm not sure I see that happening.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:23:14 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Th thing about both T.A. and Baby is not what each player brings as individuals but the added dimensions they offer the team. Sure Tony turns the ball over a lot but he is a good defensive player and he does do some things well. That is why he is just a small part of the team but that small part has been misssing. You know, it's only a small part of a team when a player hits a winning shot but it just so happened to win the game. Still, it's a very small part of the teams effort.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Th thing about both T.A. and Baby is not what each player brings as individuals but the added dimensions they offer the team. Sure Tony turns the ball over a lot but he is a good defensive player and he does do some things well. That is why he is just a small part of the team but that small part has been misssing. You know, it's only a small part of a team when a player hits a winning shot but it just so happened to win the game. Still, it's a very small part of the teams effort.

Honestly I can't think of any reason why any minutes Tony Allen might play shouldn't go to Marquis Daniels.

The only reason I can think of to play Tony Allen at all would be to try to increase his value for a potential trade.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 02:28:23 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

he could have been if he never busted his knee up in college. On his best game in the NBA you could still see his lack of athleticism. The Show's hops pre-injury were pretty awesome.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

he could have been if he never busted his knee up in college. On his best game in the NBA you could still see his lack of athleticism. The Show's hops pre-injury were pretty awesome.

Well sans the injuries we never would have gotten Leon Powe.  Same can be said of Bill Walker.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Baby will definely help us.  He has some unique skills.  I really like his bull-in-a-china-shop presence in the paint.  I think his mobility in there, especially with his weight in check, will create more rebounds for the C's, maybe even on the offensive end.  His pick-and-pop game was developing quite nicely, too.  Hope that continues.  Baby is an above average role player, and we will be better with him on the floor once he's back and in rhythm.

But Tony Allen?  What, exactly, is unique about what he offers?  I'd rather see Daniels get more than 20 minutes before anyone else gets PT on the wing.

As far as playing him to increase his trade value, I think the expiring contract is all the value he has.  Nobody is going to take TA in a trade to actually make them better.  He'll be out of the league next year.

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:22:56 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

Well sans the injuries we never would have gotten Leon Powe.  Same can be said of Bill Walker.

very true - Danny is a master of getting damaged goods and trying to salvate them
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Don't underestimate the impact of ..... overestimating the impact of Tony Allen and Baby Davis. I noticed you remove Shelden Williams from the bench as a result. 

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think Davis can help.

I thought a healthy Powe could have helped (something I doubt will be seen this year)

I think TA's contract can help in a trade.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 01:03:47 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Loosing Leon Powe and having Tony Allen and Big Baby injured. Whether you like TA or not...he, along with Baby (and Leon when he was with us) brought something we are sorely missing so far this year... and that is young, athletic, physical, brawling type players off the bench who put some real smack on people from their positions.

Those three guys brought:

1. Physical intensity
2. Young, energetic legs to mix with the Vets
3. Leon especially brought some inspirational heart

We won't get Leon back. But having Baby smacking people around and chasing down loose balls and having Tony add some defesnive wing speed and physcial play will help us alot.

I'm looking forward to seeing a lineup on the foor of:

Sheed
Baby
Daniels
TAllen
House

Alot of toughness, speed and scoring in a bench unit.

Not to mention the mix and match with Baby and Perk or Sheed, etc.

One key thing Tony will allow by playign some two minutes, is for us to play Daniels a bit more at small forward so we won't be at such a speed disadvantage against these faster teams.

This combined with Daniels and Sheed and our starters ahving another 1-2 months to work on chemistry and you might see a very, very different and very dominating team once again.

I think it just may take a bit longer this year to have it all Gel. But once it does this team might be superior to  the 08 team.     

I agree with you when the C's add BBD to an already potent bench it will only enhance the deepest team in the NBA.  I'll have to see it to believe it that TA has learned to play within his role but, a man can hope.  Losing Powe not a very big loss either way.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 01:04:58 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 447
I love pessimists, I really do. Not understanding the value of a Leon Powe is the best possible proof someone can offer that illustrates their lack of knowledge of the game of basketball.

I didn't say Leon Powe was Moses Malone, what a ridiculous response. Sometimes I think people on this board's only motive is to bash what ever anyone else says, that's all they have to do or something.

Leon Powe is a glue guy, and if you don't know that you don't know basketball. James Posey was/is an incredible glue guy. Leon Powe is that same type of player. Think Derek Fisher...AC Greene, ML Carr...John Paxson...Shane Battier, almost every NBA Championship team has one. It's not their numbers, it's their heart, scrapiness and the way those qualities motivate and energise your second unit. Leon and Posey were the best two "Glue guys" we had. We haven't yet found a replacement for either and we ahvent' won another ring either...yet. And I'm sorry, no, Williams can't replace Leon's inspirational, heart filled play, even if he puts up bigger numbers. And even if he did, it's the emotional content Leon brought that is more valuable thatn "just numbers", same for Posey, Greene, Fisher, Carr, etc. They are second team glue guys...they are critical in helping you win rings.

As for Tony...four losses, mostly the result of getting absolutely destroyed by speed on the wings. I'm not his biggest fan ( though I do like him in certain match ups) but I'd sure use him at off and play daniels more at the three when we're playing major speed. It at least gives you another option when you are looking like you're 95 years old against the wing speed of some of these faster teams.

Baby? He will dramatically effect the rebounding of Garnett, Perkins, Rasheed and Pierce. Again with Baby, it's not his numbers on this team, it's the way he moves bodies around in the paint that "allows" the other guys down low to appear to be that much better of reboudners. he's a space eater.

Tony and Baby's young legs and energy ( two glaring weaknesses  in each of our four losses )will be greatly welcomed.

Once they are back and the team has another 1-2 months to to work out the kinks and completely gel ( assuming no majore injuries) this team will be what we were all thinking.

Dominant. But I'm still not sure who's going to be out Glue guy, we havent' found him yet. All your starters are glue guys by definition, that's why they start. We need one from the bench though. All great teams have one

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 01:16:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
The athleticism + scrappiness of Boston's supporting cast was a weapon that none of the other contenders had two years ago.

Jury is still out on this year's supporting cast on both counts ... particularly their grit. Marquis and Rasheed don't provide as much hustle or energy as their predecessors did.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:27:58 PM by Who »

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
I agree that Baby and Tony will help us.  I'm excited about the energy both of these guys bring.  Energy is something that has been in short supply.  The C's have coasted at times.  These two guys aren't prone to coasting.